Your Picture of Me

Your Picture of Me

“You’re going out again?”

“Of course, oppa… There are so many things out there to take pictures of.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes good naturedly at her brother. “I’m surprised you’re not coming with me.”

Siwon made a face as he fixed his tie in front of a full length mirror. “If I had a choice, I’d resign… But I just can’t go unless the project is done.”

She slung the strap of her camera around her neck before inserting a pack of his favorite cookies in his bag. “I told you a career in photography is better than one in real estate.”

“One of these days, I’ll join you.” The dark haired man said solemnly, smiling triumphantly when he finally got his tie right. “Then, we’ll be the most famous Chois photography has ever seen.”

A carefree laugh escaped her lips. “I’m holding you to that, oppa.”

“I promise.” He grinned. “Are you gonna hitch a ride with me?”

Sooyoung was already by the door, gripping its knob. “I’m going to take a walk today… It’s sunny and it’s such a waste if I ride you car.”

“Try not to freak anyone out by sticking your camera at their faces, okay?” Siwon managed to yell out before he heard the door open and close.

o-o-o-o-o

                Kyuhyun sat on a random bench, appreciating the calm and peace that being in the park made him feel. He could feel the pounding of his head subside little by little just by being there. Despite the fact that he enjoyed his job, considering that he got to brainstorm concepts for video games of a living, it didn’t mean that work didn’t piss him off on a regular basis.

                A sigh escaped his lips; the curly haired man opting to close his eyes and rest for a while. Kyuhyun could care less if people found him weird for doing it. Hell, people he knew sometimes found him awkward. Taking in a deep breath, he slowly opened his eyes… only to find a camera directed his way.

                He couldn’t hide the look of utter shock that crossed his face, assuming that someone just took a picture of him without his consent. But before he could react any further, he caught sight of the owner of the camera. Kyuhyun found himself staring at a tall, long-legged, thin and short haired brunette. A bright smile lit her face as she stared back at him. Winking at him, she bowed rather gratefully at him before she turned around and walked away.

                Kyuhyun had a great urge to go and follow the stranger who took his picture but for some reason, he stayed glued to the bench. There was something about her that captivated him, making him forget that she – some stranger – just took a photo of him… in that state. For someone who didn’t believe at love at first sight, a part of him beginning to think otherwise.

“Aish… Cho Kyuhyun.” He mentally slapped himself. “How would you know anything for sure now that you just let her walk away?”

He doubted he’d see her again.

o-o-o-o-o

“Why are we going there again?” Kyuhyun asked for the fifth time in the past ten minutes.

“Vic wants to meet this female photographer she wants to invite for a photo shoot.” Changmin rolled his eyes, staring at his best friend from the rear view mirror. “We’re here because we’re supportive.”

He rolled his eyes back at him. “Dude, we’re here because I got dragged along and… you’re whipped.”

“If you two children are done bickering, it’s for you to behave.” Victoria made a face at her boyfriend and her friend as she tried to fix her make up. “My boss would be really impressed if I get this deal done so I can’t mess up.”

Kyuhyun pouted childishly, folding his arms over his chest. Victoria was in the passenger’s seat and Changmin was driving, which meant that he was stuck in the backseat as they headed for the newly opened gallery of the photographer. “I should be playing Starcraft right now.”

She pinched the bridge of her now. “It won’t be that bad…”

“Let him whine.” Changmin smiled reassuringly at her. “He’s a baby after all.”

“Shim Changmin, you are seriously and officially whipped.”

                Fortunately or unfortunately for the three passengers of the car, they arrived at the glass-walled gallery a few minutes later. Kyuhyun stepped out of the car, watching the people inside admiring the framed pictures on display. He could understand why the works of art fascinated the people. They were pictures… not paintings or drawings. Whoever the photographer was seemed to have captured the life of the subjects of her pictures.

“What did you say her name is again?”

“The photographer?”

Kyuhyun snorted. “No… the security guard.”

Changmin made a face at him. “Choi Sooyoung.”

“She’s one of the best young photographers today.” Victoria spoke before her boyfriend or his best friend could say anything else. “She’s so successful but she goes out in simple clothing when she’s out to take pictures so she's really not high profile acting.”

The description seemed to ring a bell but Kyuhyun had no time to figure it out as his excited Chinese friend practically dragged him and Changmin inside. “Wow… She’s really good.”

“That’s an understatement.” Changmin nodded in agreement as he looked at a picture of a chubby little girl blowing bubbles in the park. “Look at this one. She was able to capture the happiness on the girl’s face… and look at the bubbles! She caught them perfectly.”

Victoria looked at the picture her boyfriend was looking at. “They say she’s fine with selling her pictures… except her favorite ones, of course.”

Kyuhyun joined his friends. “Aren’t you supposed to be looking for Choi Sooyoung right now?”

“Oh, right.” She hurriedly took out her work phone. “Who wants to come with me?”

“I’ll go with you.” Changmin volunteered himself easily, sending his best friend a questioning look. “You coming?”

“I’ll just go around for a bit.” The curly haired man replied. “I’ll catch up with you later.”

                Just as planned, the couple set off in search of the photographer, leaving Kyuhyun to enjoy the exhibit in peace. Walking through the aisles of the enormous gallery, a smile made its way to his face as he overheard a lot of positive comments about the young photographer. He, himself, had nothing but praise for Choi Sooyoung as he looked at her pictures. Entering the center area of the gallery, Kyuhyun paused mid-step; his jaw dropping in shock.

He realized he was staring at himself.

                Kyuhyun gaped at the picture of himself seated on a bench with his eyes closed. The picture was shot in high resolution and the quality was truly magnificent. But that didn’t matter to him as she focused more on how the expression on his face was accurately captured, accented by the serenity of the background. Suddenly, it all came back to him.

The park

The camera

The girl

Choi Sooyoung was the one who took his picture that day in the park.

                A smile played on his lips but before anything else could happen, he found himself hiding as two women approached the picture. Hiding against the wall, Kyuhyun peeked carefully. He felt his heart beat faster as he finally laid eyes on Choi Sooyoung as she stood there with her back facing him.

“Sooyoung-ssi.” The petite woman she was with gestured to his picture. “Is that photo for sale? I’d love to buy it.”

“I’m sorry. It’s not for sale.” Sooyoung smiled apologetically. “It’s one of my favorites.”

She chuckled. “That’s too bad… Just looking at him makes me feel so calm.”

“That’s what I felt when I shot the picture.” The short haired brunette nodded in agreement. “Why don’t you go around and see if there’s something else you’d like?”

                Her customer politely excused herself, heading to other parts of the gallery. Sooyoung couldn’t help but sigh in relief as she stared at the picture once more. That was one aspiring buyer down, possibly many more to go. But she already made up her mind regardless of what happens. She won’t sell the picture. She can’t.

“I’d like to buy that picture.”

“I’m sorry, it’s not–” Turning around to face aspiring buyer number two, a gasp escaped her lips as she found herself face to face with the man in the picture. “Y-You’re…”

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun.” A grin crossed his face as he held out a hand. “Nice to finally meet you, Choi Sooyoung.”

She had to mentally remind herself how to breathe again as she shook his hand. “I… Uh… I hope you don’t mind that I took a picture of you.”

“No, not at all.” Kyuhyun shook his head as he smiled at her. “It’s a great picture actually. You did a fantastic job.”

The leggy brunette found herself blushing under his gaze, opting instead to turn so that she faced the picture again. “Thank you… considering that you’re the one in that picture, it means a lot to me.”

                He stood beside her, choosing not to say anything for the moment. Both of them just stood there, staring absently at the picture that reunited them again. A part of Kyuhyun wondered where in the world Changmin and Victoria were and why they hadn’t found Sooyoung before he did… But then again, he wouldn’t want it any other way.

“How come you refuse to sell this?” He asked her, breaking the moment of silence. “Because it’s your favorite?”

Sooyoung nodded slowly, smiling shyly without looking at him. “Yes… but not really.”

Her answer struck him. “Then why else?”

“I was hoping it’d help me find you.”