Chapter 3

You're not alone

 

Is this really happening? That was the only thought I could muster upon seeing that cryptic message. This person had been following me for a long time, long enough to memorize my schedule. I have only been in Seoul for six months now, so that means possibly someone has been watching over me during that whole time period. They can enter my apartment of their own free will, so why didn't they open the door earlier? I'm no longer safe in my own home. They want me to sleep well huh? How can I sleep when I know I'm running out of time!?

No, I can't let it end like the previous cycles. I have the advantage this time, I have the knowledge from the last times. I'm not going to lose this game. I clenched my fists, and looked upwards at the ticking clock on the wall above the TV. The time read 2:11 pm, someone had changed the time. I knew at that time I had approximately 211 hours left, fives hours short of nine full days. How do I know this? The same thing happens each time, this time is no different. On October 18th, I will meet my stalker. I intend to survive this time. You've not given me much time, but things will change.

I sat there focusing on everything all over again, trying to figure out what I could do differently this time. The hours pass by in a flash, and I end up dozing off on the couch from thinking so hard. I remember dreaming about Sulli, she was crying, begging for someone to help her. I couldn't remember, but I had hoped I wasn't dreaming what would become her final moments. I awoke to the dawn of a new day, and a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I got up, and checked my surroundings for any unwanted company. The apartment was empty.

A picture frame was lying face down on the ground, it must of fell. I picked it up to see a photo of what used to be Jessica, and I hugging. Someone had cut off Jessica's head, and put the picture back in the frame. Why? Did this stalker feel threatened by my own sister, or was it that they knew her? I put the frame back on the shelf where it was originally placed, and entered the bathroom. I splashed some water on my face, and looked at myself straight in the mirror. I had obvious bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep.

I turned the shower on, and locked the door behind me as a precaution. I stripped my clothes off , tossing them on to the tiled floor beforehand, and entered the shower. I stood under the hot stream of water feeling more drowsy, until I heard someone twist the door knob of the bathroom. The person was violently jerking at the knob, and kicking on the door to try to get it opened. I simply watched in horror, and prayed silently that they would not be successful. They stopped, and I exhaled in relief.

That person obviously wasn't finished. I heard sounds of breaking glass, and other loud crashing noises heard from the tiny bathroom. I hummed quietly to myself to try, and cover up the noises, also washing my hair in the process. I heard them scream in frustration, and break something else. What did I to do anger them so? This whole time I had been here I hadn't gotten such an angered response from them before. What was I possibly doing differently that triggered this individual to go completely insane? I was terrified to leave the bathroom because I didn't want it to end so soon.

“This is the police open up!”

I could indicate that the sound was coming from the front door. I heard a window being shattered, and I could hear the front door being knocked off it's hinges. The sound of police troops raiding the apartment could be heard from outside. I exited the shower quickly, and got dressed as soon as I could. I unlocked the door, and ran out to see armed police men scattered across my practically destroyed apartment.

“What happened here?” A man walked up to me in detective like clothes, and flashed his badge to me. The name on the badge read as Choi Siwon.

“Someone broke in! They're trying to kill me! I don't know how, but somehow they've gotten my spare key. They are able to enter whenever they wish, and today they did all of this because I wouldn't let them in my bathroom. I haven't any idea who it could be either.”

“A fellow resident in the building saw a suspicious looking individual enter armed with a metal bat. They called us right away, and we came running when there was complaints of a lot of noise on the third floor. This person was dressed in all black, and was wearing a mask of some sort hiding their identity from us. My men are looking around for traces of DNA as we speak.”

“This person has also got my phone number. They've been sending me creepy messages, and leaving notes on my desk at work too.”

“This sounds like your typical stalker case. They start to get violent when they feel threatened by someone around you getting too close to you. It's an extreme case of jealousy one might say. I'd like to see the messages you've received miss.” Jealousy? Are they jealous of Sulli? It's the only logical explanation that makes sense after all. This person didn't do anything like this until I started to interact with Sulli. Then, I'm right. It has to be someone at the office who knows that she likes me. That doesn't help much since everyone must know by now. I cautiously stepped over the shards of broken glass scattered across the floor, and climbed on to the couch where my cell phone was. I turned it on, and handed it to him.

He walked away for a moment to observe the evidence. I could only look around in horror at the destruction that this one person had caused. The strange thing is that during all of my times of repeating this story, this part had never happened not once. I'm not sure what choice I made differently this time that caused some kind of event like this. I might not even get to October 18th at this rate. I believe wholeheartedly that they came today to kill me. I've got to be more careful from now on. I saw the detective approach me once more, and hand my phone back to me.

“I think it's for the best that you go stay at a hotel for now. We need to thoroughly investigate this crime scene, it's much too dangerous for you to stay here now. I'll have an officer you to a nearby hotel safely. Gather your things quickly.” I nodded, and made way back into my destroyed bedroom. I looked at my reflection through the broken glass shards that used to be my mirror in my vanity. The only thought I could think was that this could have been me. I took a deep breath, and exhaled trying to compose myself. I gathered as many clothes as I could into my suitcase that I had used when I moved from California to Seoul.

I left the dilapidated room with the suitcase in hand making my way towards the now non existent front door. I entered the hall to see a female police officer waiting for me patiently. She looked quite beautiful, she looked more like someone who would own a bake shop rather than be in the police force. I walked up to her with a smile, and she shook my hand on contact.

“My name is Victoria Song, it's a pleasure to meet you.” Her voice was so warm, and kind just like a mother's.


“I'm Jung Soojung, it's so nice to meet you too. I'm really relived to be able to walk with someone. I'm still so shaken up right now.”

“There is no need to be afraid. I promise I'll keep you safe from harm.” Her smile was so reassuring, I couldn't help but trust her. I nodded, following her out of the building. I stayed close to her side out of fear. I suddenly remembered that I still had to attend work today, it was apparent that I was already late. I probably wouldn't be able to focus on anything there after what happened today anyways. I'll just call in sick once I reach the hotel. Will Sulli be alright though? She's going to be at work with that horrible person. Damn I wish I had her number at times like these.

Victoria led me inside of the expensive looking hotel, taking me all the way to the reservation desk. She explained the situation to the woman at the desk, and she agreed to give me extended stay for a discounted price. I paid for the room, and Victoria took me all the way to it. She even helped me unpack my luggage, and set the room up so it was a little more home-like.

Meanwhile:

“Yo! Sulli, are we still going to that play tonight?” Amber spun around in her desk chair in a bored manner. Sulli noticed a lot of unfinished work piling up on her desk, not very surprising. Amber often used her work time socializing with people rather than actually being productive.

“Yeah, of course. I promised you after all. I wonder why Soojung didn't come in today.” She pouted, and hung her head lowly dramatically.

“She probably got sick or something. Ain't that usually why people don't come in to work? You look like a love sick puppy. Can you really not go one day without seeing your beloved crush?” Amber ruffled Sulli's hair teasingly making her laugh a little.

“I want to call her, and see how she's doing....”

“Call her? You already got her number? Geez you two move fast.”

“I don't! I wish I did though..”

“Why not ask Jonghyun? I bet he has her number, after all they sit right next to each other.”

“Yeah! Good idea. If he does have it then can I invite her to the play with is please?”

“You're gonna make the third wheel...”

“No! I promise I won't.”

“I'm kidding, go ahead.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found myself dosing off while laying in the hotel bedroom. I was completely exhausted yet my body was in some sort of panic mode, making it hard to get some rest. I knew I was safe here now that I had Victoria as my personal body guard of sorts. She was out making the rounds on the hotel grounds for any suspicious activity. I was about to drift off into sleep until my phone went off loudly with it's obnoxious ring tone. The number calling was one I hadn't seen before, however I decided it would be best to answer in case it was someone with the police department.

“Hello?”

“Soojung! It's me! Sulli! Jonghyun gave me your number.”

“He did? I don't remember giving him my number...”

“You must of because he had it.”

“Then..then why don't I have his number in my phone?”

“Oh, I don't know. Anyways! I want you to come to play with Amber, and I!”

“A play? I guess...”

“You know where the theater building is the shopping district is right? It's being held there.”

“Yeah, I've been there before. I don't have a ticket though.”

“Don't worry they are still on sale before the show starts.”

“When should I meet you two then?”

“At 6:30!”

“I'll seen you then..”

“Bye!” She hung up, leaving me alone in the silence once more. I did find it quite unusual that the one to give my contact information away was Jonghyun. Was it him? He did know that Sulli liked me, and he seems strong enough to do all that damage. Why would he do that though? I'll have to observe him closer whenever I go back to work. If it really is him then I have advantage already. My phone vibrated again, and the screen showed that I had one new text message. The number was the same as the one from last night. I clicked on the message to see a riddle displayed:

Who makes it, has no need of it.
Who buys it, has no use for it.
Who uses it can neither see nor feel it.
What is it?

How the hell should I know? Why are you playing games with me? Haven't you bothered me enough today!? Just leave me the hell alone. I'm not going to let you scare me with your mind games. The phone went off again with yet another text message from the same number:

Answer: A coffin.
Very funny, not. I can see what you're getting at, but I won't let it end that way. I put my phone down on the night stand, and closed my eyes. It wasn't long before I had fallen asleep. When I came to it seemed like a lot of time had passed, the clock read 6:00. I had thirty minutes to get over to where Sulli was waiting. I changed into something classy yet casual, including my hair in a pony tail for a change of pace.

Victoria, escorted me to the theater, and left promptly afterward. She said she didn't want to make it awkward for me with a police officer around. I found it a bit humorous, when I arrived Sulli was already waiting for me.

“You're here!”

“Yeah, of course. Isn't your friend coming?”

“She's getting the tickets for us now. I told her to get yours too.”

“You didn't have to do that, let me pay you back.”

“No! It's my treat.” She flashed an eye smile at me making my pulse quicken instantaneously. I watched as she inched closer to me, and eventually latched herself on to my right arm. I stiffened up feeling nervous from the sudden foreign contact. She gazed up at me with a look of total adoration, making me blush. I wasn't quite sure what to say with her all over me like that. I saw Amber walk up with tickets in hand looking a little dumbfounded by Sulli's sudden behavior.

“You two are a couple aren't you?”

“Hyung! We're not! I just missed her.”

“I know that, you wouldn't stop talking about her today.”

“You really talked about me?” I asked, honestly surprised.

“Y-yeah....”

“I kind of feel bad for Amber. She's kind of the third wheel isn't she?”

“That's what I said..but Sull insisted I come.”

“Do you like anyone? You could ask them to join us.” Sulli's face soured upon me asking the question. Amber looked at me with a grimace, and shook her head slowly.

“I was going out with this great guy named Key, but last year we we got into a car accident. Unfortunately, he didn't make it.” She looked down at the ground growing silent. I felt terrible for bringing it up.

“He was like a brother to me.” Sulli muttered almost incoherently.

“I'm really sorry you two..I didn't mean any harm...”

“It's ok, Soojung. You didn't know.” Sulli managed to smile, and Amber nodded. The three of us went into the theater for the show, and watched it in it's entirety. It was pretty good, Sulli spent the duration of the show basically laughing at nothing. Amber, and I laughed because of her. We all walked out together, and made our way towards Sulli's apartment building.

“I had fun tonight. Are you gonna be back at work tomorrow Soojung?” Sulli smiled brightly, and walked up to the glass doors of the apartment building.

“Yeah. I will don't worry. Good night.”

“Good night Soojung! Good night Amber! Be safe you two!” Sulli blew us each kisses before running inside of her building leaving me alone with Amber. I turned without a word to make my way back to the hotel, but a hand grabbed my wrist.

“Soojung.” I turned to look at Amber, who was smiling at me kindly.

“Yes?”

“Be careful when you walk home alone.” I completely froze up upon hearing that statement come out of . She stared deep into my eyes, not moving her hand away from my wrist. My body began to shake uncontrollably whenever I made the realization that I had seen those very same eyes before. My mind told my body to move, but I was paralyzed under her gaze. My knees buckled from under me, and she placed her hand on my lower back to keep me from hitting the ground with her gaze still fixated on mine.

“Y-You...You're...”

“Go to sleep.” Her palm my cheek slowly, and came down over my eyelids so they closed. As if on command, I felt myself become unconscious.