chiaroscuro

chiaroscuro
1.
LuHan, on principle, did not allow anyone into his bed. Be it for a nap, a casual chat, or (because, really, that's what really comes into our minds when you say "bed"), LuHan did not like people in his bed. He had always seen it as a sacred place, his sanctuary. It was a place where people were not allowed into, regardless of the span of time you'd known each other or the degree of intimacy you had reached. (This is disheartening for his ”fans”, people who have assumed that they had reached that point, in which, they deluded themselves into thinking they were the exception, that they would be "the one" allowed, for lack of a better term, into LuHan's haven. His solid coldness at whoever dared to profane his belief was surprising.) His bed sheets were always pure white. Inviting another person in, or simply allowing one to meander their way into it, was, is and will always be strictly prohibited, as far as LuHan is concerned.

2.
SeHun is secretly a clingy puppy. He cannot, will not, and shall not sleep without an arm, or a pillow, or a stuffed animal locked in an oxymoronically tight yet tender grip. He didn't care who or what was in his bed. He only needed to latch onto them for however long his slumber lasted. He only craved the touch in his sleep, in the comfort of his own bed. Otherwise, skinship was kept to a minimum. People questioned SeHun's sudden warmth under the sheets, lights turned off. He shrugged them all off. He wasn't sure himself. After years of contemplating, though, he had decided that he was making up for his voluntary deprivation of skin-on-skin contact during his hours of consciousness by holding on as hard (yet tenderly) as possible during his hours of unconsciousness. He also entertained the fact that he could possibly be lonely. Also, he had mentally added, staring off into space as the photographer took his solo shots, I just might want someone to hold me the way I hold all those pillows, and toys, and people. He was snapped out of his reverie by the end of the photoshoot, and locked the thought up in the undisturbed, dusty corner of his mind.

3.
When SeHun & LuHan stumbled their way into their friendship, it was awkward. LuHan wanted to cling onto SeHun as tightly as possible during the day. SeHun wanted LuHan to cling onto him as tightly as possible during the night.

4.
Neither got what they wanted. Both were frustrated.

5.
SeHun was the first to loosen up. LuHan didn't notice until he reached up to wipe a speck of dirt from SeHun's forehead. SeHun leaned into the touch. LuHan almost choked.

6.
Eventually, SeHun allowed LuHan to casually slip the latter's hand into the former's. Eventually, SeHun allowed LuHan to casually wrap the latter's arm around the former's shoulder. Eventually, SeHun allowed LuHan to hold all of him.

7.
Eventually, SeHun would not-so-casually slip his hand into LuHan's. Eventually, Sehun would not-so-casually wrap his arm around Luhan's shoulder. Eventually, SeHun would hold all of LuHan. He did this all in the light of day.

8.
LuHan was harder to crack. It was almost as if he had an irrational fear of having someone else with him in the night. He did not enjoy SeHun's thinly-veiled disappointment. (Although, in his defense, SeHun tried as hard as possible to not show his frustration.)

9.
Eventually, after SeHun not-so-casually leaned over and pecked his cheek (an action that, in the past would've been more than impossible) and asked silently if LuHan would stay with him for the night and LuHan just as silently whispered that he couldn't, SeHun knows he couldn't, he wanted to, but he couldn't, SeHun decided he no longer wanted not-so-casual touches to occur during the day, or at all for that matter. He did not want to be the only one sacrificing for the sake of the other. He left.

10.
LuHan cried.

11.
SeHun wouldn't meet his eyes.

12.
LuHan decided.

13.
It was a long day. Hour after hour of learning move after move while singing lyric after lyric, SeHun was finally home. He wanted nothing more than to sink into his sheets, to hold onto the hotdog pillow his friends got him, and to fall into the quiet beauty that is sleep. He didn't bother to turn on the lights. After his shower, he slipped into his pajamas and under the sheets. He extended his arm in search of his pillow, and-- that's not a pillow.

"I'm sorry," was whispered from across the bed and into the dark. He could identify the owner of that voice under any condition.

"LuHan?" SeHun whispered back.

"Sorry," he heard again. Suddenly, he arms were full of warmth, a head of hair against the junction between his chest and neck, a hand resting softly on his chest, right where his heart was. His arms automatically came around the figure, which shivered at his touch.

"S'okay, I--" Then lips were on his, warm, so warm; this was not their first kiss. But it was the first in the dark. Their only active sense out of the five was of touch, at the moment: the sense of touch at its height. Their lips parted and LuHan whispered (reawakening at least one other sense in SeHun), "Please, can we stay in mine next time?"

14.
They held hands in the light. They were caught in embraces in the light. They touched lips in the light.

15.
They held hands even tighter in the dark, were caught in even tighter embraces in the dark, and touched lips more fiercely in the dark.