progress

progress
1.
The first time LuHan saw SeHun('s head angled down), his mind launched into a mental montage of dogs. He looks like a puppy, he thought. He wondered briefly if the boy would bark if he asked.

He didn't like dogs and puppies, though. LuHan was often described as "cute," and was doted upon, and he did not enjoy this. Puppies were the same, except they loved being noticed and smothered. He had always assumed they were little attention .

The boy-puppy raised his head, and the mental canines ceased their barking, tail-wagging, and stared. LuHan stared. I don't like puppies, LuHan thought, but maybe I could appreciate this one.

2.
It takes LuHan two weeks to decide to say something to SeHun.

"... Hi." Awkward, simple, and hopefully--

"... Hello."

--effective. LuHan released the breath he didn't realize he was holding in. Introductions and silent (awkward) jokes about other trainees were made, serious (awkward) questions were asked about lyrics, steps, how to properly say such and so in Korean.

LuHan smiles in an attempt to coax the other one into smiling (if only very slightly) as well.

He doesn't. His face was a blank, slightly pained, probably annoyed at the breach of his outer wall.

LuHan decides to breach it a little more. LuHan decides to make the puppy bark.

3.
Another two weeks, and LuHan has himself seated beside SeHun as often as possible, poking at him and getting him to speak as often as he could. People stared, SeHun was silent, LuHan tried harder.

4.
"I just honest don't think it's fair how they pick you out and pick on you and--"

"I think you're getting your languages messed up." SeHun said, in that quiet tone of his, and LuHan stopped.

"What?"

"I couldn't understand half of what you were saying."

"... Oh. Sorry."

"S'fine, your tirade was pretty funny, albeit garbled."

"But, seriously! Don't you see what I'm talking about? They honestly need to…"

LuHan continued. He didn't stop, even when his indignant speech turned into sputtering. He enjoyed the amusement in SeHun's eyes.

5.
LuHan eventually learns how to read SeHun. He understands that when he walks around with his arms behind his head, he's disappointed in himself. He knows that when he says "no, thank you" a little louder than usual that he means "yes, please." He notices that SeHun is starting to respond more often. He discovers that when he abruptly directs his eyes to the floor that he's stopping a smile.

6.
LuHan remembers his earlier comparison of SeHun to a puppy.

LuHan remembers how he thought puppies were ers for attention.

LuHan realizes that SeHun is the same, but doesn't like to admit it.

LuHan finds it endearing.

7.
One day, SeHun smiles.

LuHan wonders how he could've ever compared him to a puppy.

He's more like the sun, he decides. Just has to find the time to peek out of the clouds sometimes.

8.
Suddenly, they're best friends. Suddenly, SeHun becomes a little kid, jumping around, unable to sit still. LuHan can't even remember when he was quiet. He doesn't want to.

9.
On rough days, they lean on each other’s shoulders. On good days, they grasp each other’s hands. On really bad days, they hold the other through their broken sobs. On regular days, they find excuses to touch the other.

10.
Lips touch, skin meets skin, whispers are made, feelings flow.

"I like you... I think I always have," SeHun whispers against LuHan's hair, a shadow of his old, quiet self coming through.

LuHan tries not to scream: finally.

11.
SeHun barks (albeit reluctantly) when LuHan asks him to.

LuHan thinks puppies are the most adorable animals on earth.