Annihilation

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YI XING

 

I smiled to myself as I looked around me. I visited the village by the border and saw that most of the vegetation had come back. The villagers had a home again and I was more than happy to see how things have turned out. I watched as the people helped each other to rebuild and start anew. Mother would be very thrilled once she finds out that the worse was over for Hailesia. It was just a matter of knowing where the Guardians would strike next. The possibilities were frightening, but it was a comfort to know that it wasn’t impossible to stop. The plague of the wind was devastating already and then came the flames that devoured the people’s living. I am glad that was over for now, but I couldn’t rest easy.

 

Suddenly, a little girl who was cradling a small doll in her arms came to me, tugging at the hem of my shirt. I looked at her and she beamed at me, her eyes gleaming under the light of the morning sun.

 

“Hello there,” I greeted her and she just smiled all the more.

 

“Hello,” she returned. “Are you Lady Jiao Liang’s prince?” she asked to my astonishment.

 

I sighed and nodded. I guess she was one of the girls under my mother’s care at the hospice in town. “I guess that’s me.” I sat down on the grass and she did the same. I stared at the sky for some time, breathing in.

 

“What’s your name?” she asked hesitantly. “S-surely, a prince like you has a name,” she drawled in the native accent.

 

I ruffled her hair. “My friends call me ‘Yi Xing’ so I guess you could call me that.”

 

“Yi Xing…” she repeated and nodded. “I like that name.”

 

“Hmm. You haven’t told me your name.”

 

“My name is Ling.”

 

“I like that name, too.”

 

We were quiet for a while, watching as the people moved about when she broke the silence with her tiny and fragile voice. “Prince Yi Xing,” she began, but didn’t continue.

 

“Yes, Ling?”

 

“You’re lonely.”

 

I quickly looked at her, expecting to see Jinhae, but the little girl I was with still sat beside me with her innocent eyes looking up at me in wide wonder. I felt her words tug at my heart. Just like Jinhae, she didn’t miss that while most people would just take it to be my rather calm demeanor. I exhaled, my breath catching. “Someone told me that, too.”

 

“Really? Who is it?”

 

“The girl I love,” I told her without hesitation.

 

Her eyes glittered with amazement and thrill. “Your princess? Is she here?”

 

I shook my head. “Sadly, no. She’s in the capital.”

 

“Is she the maiden in the prophecy?”

 

I chuckled, surprised that she was even aware of that. “How old are you, Ling?”

 

“Eight and half.”

 

“And you know about the maiden?”

 

She bobbed her head. Maybe I’d have daughters like her, smart and beautiful. “Yes. My mother always tells me about her and how she will save us all.”

 

I nodded. “She will.”

 

“What’s her name?”

 

“Ahn Jinhae…” Just saying her name made me miss her more.

 

“Jinhae. She has a beautiful name, too.”

 

“You should see her.”

 

Her eyes widened. “Can I do that?”

 

“Sure. I’ll introduce her to you. I’m sure you’ll like her. She’s –”

 

“Master Yi Xing,” Xiao interrupted my thoughts, appearing out of nowhere again.

 

I eyed him sharply. “I know you can teleport, but please quit doing that,” I told him fondly.

 

He chuckled. “I have good news.” He glanced at Ling and smiled briefly as the little girl waved.

 

“Good news?”

 

He nodded. “Master Yi Fan of Aria is currently at the manor. He sends his message that the others are coming by the Nephylus.”

 

“The maiden?” I asked eagerly.

 

“Lady Jinhae is coming here, too,” he answered me with a knowing smile.

 

I blinked slowly. It was surreal. I was overwhelmed with a different kind of joy this time. I took Ling’s hands and smiled at her. “Did you hear that Ling? The maiden is here in Hailesia.”

 

“Is she really?”

 

I nodded. Unable to contain my delight, I stood up. “I’ll have you fetched by Xiao tomorrow morning to see her, agreed?”

 

She nodded.

 

“I have to go to meet her. I’ll see you then.”

 

“Yes.” She bowed and waved slightly. “Go to your princess now. You don’t want to keep her waiting.”

 

I chuckled. “Yes!” I faced Xiao. “Let’s get back to the manor.”

 

He offered his arm for me to hold onto to teleport and at that same instant, we were at my mother’s drawing room with Yi Fan.

 

“Yi Fan,” I breathed out. For some reason I was very happy to see him.

 

He bowed slightly. “Yi Xing. I’m glad to see you well.”

 

I nodded. “It’s good to see you, too. How have you been?”

 

“Just fine. The visits have begun and Jinhae chose to come here first on Lu Han’s suggestion.”

 

Lu Han suggested it? “I understand. That was…really nice of him. Wouldn’t this offend the Frost Nobles of Glacia?”

 

Yi Fan shook his head. “This is, in a way, a tactic to protect Jinhae and she misses you terribly so we’ve decided to agree on certain matters. She’ll be thrilled to see you.” He smiled slightly.

 

I laughed slightly. “As will I. When are they coming?”

 

As if to answer my question, Yi Fan stood aside from the window and I saw a fleet of Nephylus flying just above the hills behind the manor. “They’re here.” I smiled expectantly as he took me by the arm.  “Ready?”

 

I nodded in response and without further ado, we sprung off the window pane and into the open court where the Nephylus would be heading. I steadied myself on the ground, touching my pocket where the music box she gave me when I parted from the capital was. I would listen to it every night since then and it helped me go to sleep. Now, she was here to reclaim it. I wouldn’t need it anymore. She was there.

 

The massive dragons landed one by one with a thud, making dust rise from the ground as they flapped their wings, tucking them in. Tao jumped from his before it could even land, followed by Xiu Min. They both ran towards me and clobbered me.

 

“Yi Xing!” Xiu Min hollered as he clapped me on the shoulder. Tao hugged me as expected. I felt warmth coursing through me as the final Nephylus landed. I saw Lu Han round his dragon and proceed to where Jinhae was, helping her off the burlap sling. She looked irritated, but she smiled at him nonetheless. As she stood up, her knees wobbled and she nearly fell. I chuckled to myself, gazing at the reason for my existence. She was still clumsy and Lu Han had to hold her as she steadied herself.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked her and she nodded when suddenly, her eyes flicked to me. She broke into a smile and released herself from Lu Han’s hold as she sprinted towards me.

 

“Yi Xing!” she squealed in delight, crashing against me and wrapping her arms around me. “I missed you!”

 

I hugged her back, feeling my heart swelling with happiness. I kissed her hair and held her close, oblivious to the others. “I missed you, too. I’m glad you’re here.”

 

“You feel different.”

 

“What?”

 

She pulled back and touched the side of my face. She tilted her head and frowned. “My goodness, you look skinnier! Have you been eating?”

 

“Not much. I had too many things –”

 

“I know!” she cut me short. “But you shouldn’t be taking your health for granted. Look at you.”

 

Now she’s scolding me. I took her hands in mine. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t apologize to me. Eat well and rest. Hey, Zhang Yi Xing. You’re gone for too long and this is how I will see you after? At least take care of yourself when I’m not around.”

 

I was at a loss for words. The fact that she was standing in front of me still hasn’t sunk in. Before I could speak, someone else did.

 

“I see I’ve been replaced.”

 

We all looked at the direction of the voice. My mother stood right there, her hands clasped together as she walked towards us. Jinhae’s eyes widened and she quickly bowed, staying like that. “I-I didn’t mean it that way, your grace,” she said.

 

My mother held her by the shoulder and made her straighten up. “You mustn’t bow to anyone, Lady Jinhae.” She smiled. “And I appreciate how you care for my Yi Xing.”

 

She glanced at everyone then faced my mother again. “I care deeply for everyone.”

 

“You’re a good young lady. You’ll go a long way.”

 

She bowed her head again. “Thank you, Lady Jiao Liang.”

 

“It’s my pleasure to have you all in the Zhang Manor.”

 

The rest of the Element Nobles bowed as well.

 

My mother clapped her hands twice. “Please enjoy your stay in Hailesia as much as possible.” She was about to turn around when her eyes strayed to Lu Han. “Dear, what happened to you?”

 

I’ve just noticed it, too, but he had a sling that kept his left arm securely in place. Blood stained his sleeves which were also torn. My blood ran cold as thoughts began circulating in my mind. They were attacked on their way here, I was certain.

 

“It’s nothing, my lady,” Lu Han said.

 

“Nothing? You call that nothing?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

My mother shook her head and touched his arm. That familiar rosy light came out from her hands as she healed Lu Han. The blood that was shed disappeared as she restored his arm. She looked at him and patted his head. “There you are. Good as new.”

 

Lu Han bowed. “My endless thanks to you, Madame.”

 

“Don’t mention it. You’re all like my sons just like Yi Xing is.”

 

He looked at me and nodded at him with a smile. Even if he was after Jinhae, too, he was still my brother, as good as blood relatives and nothing would change that.

 

“Thank you.”

JINHAE

 

Hailesia was breathtaking! There were a lot of vast fields and rolling hills with tiny cottages in random places like sprinkles on ice cream. I stood by the balcony of Zhang Manor, taking in the sight. It was very refreshing with all the grass and trees. The fact that the place we were staying in was on top of a hill added to the advantage of seeing the awe-inspiring landscape. My jaw literally dropped when I came up there after we had lunch with Lady Jiao Liang. Everyone seemed to love her. I didn’t find it hard to make room for her in my heart. She was kind to everyone, very motherly and suddenly, I just wished I’ve met my mother.

 

Lady Jiao Liang was, I guess, in her forties, Elyxian age, but she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter