Just You and Me

Just You and Me

The door opened and the lights came alive.

It was a day of happiness, celebration and triumph… but it didn’t completely feel that way.

                With the award they had just won an hour ago clutched tightly in his hand, Yunho stepped inside the dorm; the dorm that housed an idol group that was now short of three people. Changmin seemed to have the same thought in mind as he entered after his hyung; his eyes glancing on the picture of the five DBSK members on a nearby table. Living there reminded them of how incomplete they were every single day but what else was there to do aside from it up and continuing on living?

Neither of them expected the music show win earlier that day. From the very beginning – or rather from the beginning of the end of DBSK as a five-man group – there were many doubts that the leader and the maknae could carry the legacy on their shoulders on their own. But their win was a proof that they could continue albeit it was a painful one. They were beyond ecstatic with the win, appreciating how their fans had stood by them despite anything and everything. They were very happy… really they were. But not even a trophy could erase the fact that it was just Changmin and Yunho.

“What a day…” Changmin whispered as he closed the door behind him softly. “Miracles do happen, huh, hyung?”

The older man nodded in agreement. “Blessings do happen.”

“We’re still lucky, hyung.” He pointed out, heading to the living room to unceremoniously dump himself on the couch.

Yunho rolled his eyes a little at that, noting how he had used the word ‘still’. He stayed silent for a while, prompting the maknae to stare at him in concern, before he sat down beside him and placed the trophy on the table. “We are lucky.”

                The two men silently stared at their prize – the symbol of all the hard work, trials, controversies and emotions they had overcome. Yunho chuckled, shaking his head and slinging an arm around Changmin’s neck. It was just them now… just them. Changmin managed to grin soon after, somehow starting to feel content. No one could have everything he wanted. He realized that what they both had at the moment was enough. They still had each other. DBSK wasn’t completely dead. That was another reason to be happier.

                It didn’t take away the loneliness, the pain and the longing they both had in the deep recesses of their hearts. They still both wish that five won that day instead of two. No one could deny that it was bittersweet day; another day of hoping for the biggest miracle to happen.

                Changmin slowly got to his feet; Yunho’s arm falling limply on the couch as he did so. The younger man headed for his room, entering his quiet and private solace only to reappear with a towel soon after. He usually made it a point to shower whenever he had time after a schedule. Yunho recognized that, yelling at the young man who turned into his best friend not to mess up the heater like the last time. The door opened and closed… then a doorbell rang.

                Yunho got to his feet; a questioning look settling on his handsome face. He didn’t recall any knowledge that they had to expect someone that night; their manager supposedly slated to return the next day. Hopefully, whatever or whoever was on the other side had nothing to do with additional work. He was physically and mentally exhausted to take any more. Changmin probably felt the same way.

The door swung open and Yunho thought that he was seeing things.

                Choi Sooyoung stood before him with an expression on his face that he couldn’t quite name; the young woman not oblivious to the fact that he was staring at her and that a multitude of emotions were crossing his face. It didn’t surprise her when she felt a pair of strong arms around her waist, pulling her against a muscular chest. She could feel him burying his head in the crook of her neck; the tears soon making their presence felt. Sooyoung hugged him back both in a comforting and congratulating way. She had come there to congratulate them on their win being the Cassie that she was… but she also came there to console and give reassurance being the friend that she was.

“Weren’t you in Japan?”

“Were being the operative word, oppa.”

                It was with a little presence of mind that Yunho slightly lifted her in his arms, bringing her inside the dorm before shutting the door. Sooyoung pulled away slightly as soon as she felt the floor beneath her feet, wordlessly asking the man how he was doing. Yunho could only muster a small smile; a smile that slightly got brighter when her hands made their way to wipe the tears off his face.

“Congratulations, oppa.”

Another small smile was sent her way. “Thanks, Soo.”

“Things will get better, you know.”

“I believe you.”

                Sooyoung smiled the kind of smile of hers that never failed to make him feel warm inside. Wordless, she took his hand and led him to the living room; the two seating themselves in silence. Her eyes wandered on the trophy on the table, knowing that her oppas deserved it more than anyone else. His hand still held hers and her head was soon resting on his shoulder. Another smile made its way to his lips as he gently placed his head on top of hers only after pressing a soft kiss on the crown of her head.

“Eunhyuk oppa said that Junsu oppa said congratulations.” Sooyoung spoke slowly, worrying about the impact of the news on the man by her side.

“Really?” Yunho murmured softly. “Tell him to tell him I said thank you.”

                The brunette merely nodded in reply, staring silently at the trophy on the table. Yunho was staring off into space; a nearly inaudible thank you escaping his lips. It was as if Sooyoung’s presence was enough to make him feel better… to make him feel that things will get better. She had always been there since the very beginning, supporting, comforting, congratulating, and even guiding. She unknowingly made herself his and Changmin’s rock. Just a smile on her beautiful face reminded them of a brighter future they had.

A door opened and closed. Changmin stood outside the bathroom with wide eyes.

                Sooyoung arched her eyebrow at the sight of a freshly showered, half Changmin as soon as she and Yunho had turned their heads toward where he stood. A light jest got the maknae blushing and rushing straight for his bedroom to change, clutching the towel around his waist tightly. It earned him a carefree laughter from the leggy brunette; Yunho smacking the palm of his hand on his forehead and shaking his head.

“You should’ve told me that he was showering.” She poked his sides.

“Even if you knew, he still wouldn’t know you’re here.” Yunho smiled as soon her head was back on his shoulder. “It wouldn’t make a difference. He would still come out of the bathroom that way.”

“Smartass.”

                The sound of a door opening and closing yet again got Sooyoung to her feet; a fully clothed and semi-dry haired Changmin greeting her this time around. It was with a few strides thanks to her long legs that she made her way to where he was, wrapping her arms around his neck as soon as she could. A soft ‘congratulations’ was whispered in his ear; Changmin wrapping her arms around her petite waist. Yunho had moved from the couch to head to the kitchen, knowing that there was a huge possibility that the two shikshins would get hungry soon.

“Thanks, Soo.” A lazy smile made its way to his lips as soon as they pulled apart; both keeping their arms were they were.

“You guys did great out there.” She commented lightly. “You made it look so easy… singing and dancing like that.”

                He rolled his eyes a little at that, earning a little yelp from the brunette when he suddenly scooped her in his arms. Yunho had re-emerged from the kitchen with a tray of food and drinks; the two DBSK members returning to the living room toting what and who they were carrying. Changmin sat on the couch first, carefully positioning Sooyoung on his lap. Once the tray was on the table beside the trophy, Yunho lifted the brunette’s legs from the couch, occupying the space where they once were before depositing her long limbs on his lap.

“You guys up for doing anything?” Yunho arched a questioning eyebrow.

Sooyoung rested her head on Changmin’s chest, reaching her hand out to clasp Yunho’s. “I think I’m okay like this.”

                Changmin hummed his agreement, tucking her head underneath his chin. A quiet chuckle escaped Yunho’s lips. Though they were doing nothing, he was okay with that. It was in the simplicity of the moment that they all felt the contentment. Nothing else seemed to matter any longer. Who they had and what they had was enough. As silence reigned over them, everything was enough.