1

Winter Scenarios

Scenario 1

I was forced out the door and was welcomed by the stale December air. "Yah, get your atittude in check before you start blowing up at everyone!" Hongki nagged, before he slammed the door and locking it immediately after. It funny, really. He was yelling at me, letting everyone around evidently know about his anger towards me. The wind blew towards my direction, as though it had cruelly been punishing me for my dislike of the Winter season. I brushed off my thoughts and made my way towards a local library. I wasn't one to read a book, let alone find myself walking to a library. Nonetheless, I needed a place to keep warm. Standing in front of the house you were just kicked out of wasn't exactly appealing to keep in mind. I shook the thought away from my mind, feeling my face flush in embarrassment at the situation I had encountered before. 

Arriving at my destination, I shared a look of disdain at the impecunious looking interior of the library. Filled with ignorant children and their parents just as worse.  I let out a sigh of defeat. Knowing that this place was better than anything else I could think of having no phone, no car and most importantly no money. " Escuse me. Do you mind if I take a seat next to you?" I heard a faint voice behind me. I turned to see a much younger girl in front of me. Her hair tied in two small braids, and wearing a pink sweater that looked much to big for the small frame of the girl, holding on to a book. As I looked even furthur at the girl's appearance, the girl cleared . I quickly looked up to the girl's face and noticed that her face was extremely red. She cleared again and repeated the question. I simply nodded my head at her, she replied with a shy smile and a small bow of her head.

I watched as the girl, carefully read each word of the book in her hand. Turning the pages with utter care and attentively.I let out a quiet chuckle while watching the girl, at the sound of my laugh the girl immediately raised her head and her face wore a look of surprise. "Hey kid, what's with you and that book?" She shared a look of confusion at my words. "What do you mean?" I rolled my eyes at her response, "Your treating it so carefully." She smiled sheepishly, "Well, of course I would. Books aren't such an insignificant object, the words come alive when you read them. Treating books badly is as bad as treating a person badly. It would be cruel to treat it in any other way that I have." I was surprised at the words that were coming out of the girl's mouth. She was so young, she appeared to be so carefree but her eyes told me that she knew much more than anyone else in the library. They gave off a feeling intelligence and wisdom, that not just anyone can obtain.

The conversation ended almost as quickly as it started, and the rest of the time was silent. Hours had passed, and it was getting darker and darker outside. It was only the girl and I left in small library, she was still so engrossed in the book, not even appearing to be aware of emptiness in the room. I could've left, I could've left anytime I wanted to actually but the thought of leaving the girl alone irritated me. She was far to innocent and vunerable. Who would leave her alone? What kind of parents would let a young girl to stay out this late? Wait, her parents. No parent in their right mind would let their child out this late, alone at that. Unless her parents didn't care, they care, don't they? "Hey kid, it's getting late. Your parents might start to worry." She slowly closed the book, finally finishing the massive read. "My parents won't worry." I scoffed at her response. As if they wouldn't. "Listen kid, I know for a fact they'll worry. Now if you go now, I don't thi-"

"They're dead." The coldness of her voice shocked me more that the statement she had said. I wasn't believing her when she told me. It could be a lame excuse, so she wouldn't have to go home. I finally eyed her again, this time taking in her appearance more. Her pink sweater looked so over-sized because it wasn't hers, it was tattered and dirty. "Kid, how old are you?" She eyed me suspiciously until she relaxed her face, her small face looked so worn out and tired. "12." 

"Who do you stay with?" She sighed, evidently exhausted at this point. "No-one." I didn't know what to do at this point. I couldn't leave her alone, she was 12 for 's sake. Her parents are dead, she has no one to live with. "You can stay with my friends and I. I mean we all share a house together. Some of they're girlfriends live with us, so you won't have to worry." Did I sound creepy? She looked at me as if I was crazy. "Your not some kind of person with an obsession with little girls, are you?" At first, I thought she was joking, but the serious look she gave me told me she was anything but joking. "You need a place to stay, you have no guidance and your young. How could I possibly leave you alone." She hesitated, "But why?" Why, why exactly was I asking this 12-year old little girl to be staying at my house with my friends? That's exactly why, she's only 12. This world can be extremely cruel to the poor-hearted. She wouldn't last in today's society, alone. "Thanks for trying to joke, but I need to get to foster house." She bitterly chuckled. Whose joking? Wait, foster house? She said she didn't live with anyone. "You said you didn't live with anyone." She laughed again, still with a bitter tone. "In that place, I might aswell confess that they abuse and neglect me. But then again, who would possibly believe me? Goodbye, Ajusshi." And with that she left.

But it wouldn't be the last time I would see her.