Speed Dial #1 - Kim Kibum

Speed Dial Number One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Eun,” Kibum called me by my nickname.

“Hn,” I grunted in acknowledgment as I tuned my guitar. Kibum had been messing with my guitar. He was my closest and only friend. Yes, only. I have never been the social type. Besides our passion for music, we were polar opposites. He was a fun guy who everyone loved to be around. Kibum would always lighten an atmosphere. He was overall a great friend. And me… I was quiet and awkward. We only met because of our classes. The teacher had given us a new seating chart and I got placed next to Kibum. That was considered lucky. Most people who had sat next to me didn’t utter a word towards me, but Kibum was really talkative. If he was someone else, I would have been annoyed.

But it was Kibum.

So I wasn’t annoyed.

“What are you going to be when you’re an adult?” he inquired. I looked up from my guitar. Adult. It was scary thinking about how one day, I’ll be an adult. An adult who wouldn’t be babied by their parents anymore.

“…A doctor,” I lied. “Like what my parents want me to be.”

Kibum’s permanent smile slightly curved downwards.

“Is that what you really want to be?” he questioned. I pursed my lips and didn’t reply. “You told me that you wanted to become a musician.”

Curse his good memory. It was true. I did want to become a musician, but I was afraid of rejection. I was afraid that if I ever auditioned, I would get rejected. Before he could say any more witty comments, I loudly played a few guitar chords and warmed up my voice. I was so engulfed into my music, that I didn’t feel someone tap my shoulder. I glanced over my shoulder. A male with quite attractive features was staring at me. I blinked and scratched my cheek. Junhyung. He was in my class as well.

“Y-Yes?”

“Soeun-ssi, can we talk?” he requested. I nodded and stood up. Nervous thoughts swam through my head as I wondered what he wanted to say to me. I snuck a glance back. Kibum was standing up. He was always the curious type and I already knew that he would follow us two.

 

“Soeun, youdo know me right?” Junhyung asked.

“Yeah,” I answered.

“W-Well…” he stammered, “I want to just let you know something…”

“What is it?”

“You’re one-of-a kind,” he started saying. My heart fluttered and I felt heat rise to my cheeks. “Even though we’re not close or anything, I just wanted to tell you th-that I … like you.” I blinked several times. Eh?

“You… like me?” I squeaked. He nodded shyly; his cheeks were pink, which I found sort of cute. I placed a hand to my chest. Someone likes me? I didn’t think that was even possible. But… I didn’t feel the same way.

“Erm, Junhyung-ssi,” I fretted, “We should start as friends… and we can work from there.” A wide grin spread on Junhyung’s face.

“Better than nothing!” he exclaimed happily. He spread his arms out for a hug. I just stood there awkwardly.

“Come on, don’t be shy,” he chuckled. I reluctantly wrapped my arms around him. It felt so awkward hugging him. I barely hug anybody besides my family. I don’t even hug Kibum that much… He let go and said bye and then left. I sighed and glanced back. Kibum was standing there. I rolled my eyes and walked over to him.

“Nosy,” I muttered.

“Did he confess to you?” Kibum asked, even though I was sure he already knew the answer.

“Yes,” I answered.

“What did you say?” he implored.

“That we’ll start as friends.”

“Oh.”

I looked down at my feet and walked back to the courtyard. I felt a tiny bit disappointed that that was his reaction. I wanted him to be more jealous.

Yes, I, Hwang Soeun, had fallen in love with Kim Kibum.

-

“No, that’s not a real job!” Umma yelled at me. Her words pierced through my heart.

“Yes it is!” I argued, “Musicians make money also!” All this time, I had been keeping my anger anymore. This time, I couldn’t take it anymore and I burst. I felt tears sting my eyes as she cursed at me.

“It’s all that Kibum boy’s fault!” Umma screamed, “He’s a bad influence!”

That’s it.

“Curse at me all you want, but don’t. Blame. Anything. On Kibum!” I cried. I can’t do this anymore. I stormed off into my room and made sure to slam my door loudly. I sunk down onto the floor as tears fell of my lashes. My hands stayed limp to my sides, making no effort to stop the tears. It’s so unfair. I don’t want to become a doctor. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and called Kibum, who was number one on my speed-dial list.

“Yeoboseyo?” his deep, soothing voice answered.

“I need you right now…” I choked. I could barely speak due to all my emotions.

“Are you ok?” he asked, his voice rising in alarm. “I’ll come to your house.”

Before I could utter another word, he had hung up. I already felt safer, knowing that he was on his way. I sniffled and wiped away some of my tears. Why can’t she understand my dream? I peeked out of my window and just waited for Kibum to come. A dark figure was running towards our house and I sighed in relief. I knew that Kibum could make me feel better; he always did. He looked into the kitchen window and probably saw my mom, so he ran and hid behind a large potted plant. My mom had always hated Kibum. He was afraid of her too. The only times he came over was when my mom wasn’t home. He climbed over the fence leading to our backyard and I heard a painful crash. I winced and ran over to my other window. I pushed it up and stuck my head out.

“K-Kibum,” I whispered. He ran over to me, not caring about how his clothes got stained. Kibum usually cares about stuff like that.

“Are you ok?” he asked in a low voice. He studied my face, which was red and ugly from crying. “You’ve been crying.”

“I… need to get out of here,” I muttered.

“Your mom?” he guessed. I nodded. He spread his arms out for me. I didn’t have any shoes and I was wearing my home clothes, yet I still climbed out of my window. Before my feet could hit the dirty floor, Kibum had caught me. My face burned red and I was afraid he could hear my rapid heartbeat. Our faces were so close to each other, that I could hear his steady breathing. He carried me awkwardly like that until we were out of the backyard.

“You can let me go now,” I told him.

“Your feet,” he replied.

“I’m fine.”

He shook his head and continued walking until we reached a bench. He gently let me down and I sighed in relief. That was incredibly awkward… We didn’t really say anything since we were so close to each other. He plopped down next to me as I hugged my knees.

“What happened?” he asked as he rubbed his arms which must have been sore from carrying me. I lightly bit my lower lip. My eyes were kept fixated on the floor as I tried to prevent myself from breaking down into tears again.

“…Kibum, I don’t want to become a doctor,” I admitted. I turned my head away from him.

“My mom… she says being musician not a real job,” I said quietly. My voice cracked and my eyes burned with tears again. Then, I felt a pair of warm, slender arms embrace me.

“Kibum,” I whispered.

“Eun,” he whispered back. I rubbed my eyes furiously. He stood up and then crouched down in front of me.

“Get on my back,” he ordered. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he lifted me up.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Home,” he replied. My eyes widened. Home. I was afraid to face my mom after what just happened. I knew that I would be in a lot of trouble once she found out that I was with… Kibum.

“No, I don’t want to go back there,” I quickly objected.

“Pabo, I meant my home,” he chortled.

“But, your parents…” I mumbled. He stopped walking.

“Oh, right,” He said, “…Can you get my phone out of my pocket?”

I reached down and pulled out his scratched phone.

“Call my mom for me; she’s speed dial number two,” Kibum directed.

“Who’s one, your dad?” I wondered as I pressed the number two with my thumb. He hesitated before replying.

“…No.”

“Who is it?”

“It’s a secret.”

I didn’t reply. I didn’t understand why he was being so secretive of it…

“Hello?” a lady’s voice answered the call. I held it up to Kibum’s ear.

“Umma,” he replied. Kibum informed her that he was bringing a guest home. They chatted for a while, and of course, argued a bit, but he still ended the call with an “I love you.” I slipped the phone back into his pocket.

“Eun, you want to become a musician, right?” he asked. Even though I was on his back, I could tell there was a wide smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.

“Yeah,” I answered.

“Well, I saw a few advertisements for auditions to become an idol!” he exclaimed excitedly, “You have a great voice, come try out with me!”

I bit my lip. I wanted to become a musician, which is a bit different from an idol. But… I won’t give up this chance.

“Ok,” I finally agreed. We finally reached his house after a minute or so. We were greeted by a lively family. I felt welcomed by his warm parents. Kibum seemed to be embarrassed though, so he grabbed my arm and dragged me away to his room.

“Sorry about my parents,” he mumbled. He gently closed his door. I sat down on his bed as he did some last minute cleaning. It was actually my first time being inside of his house. His room was actually neat and tidy, for a guy.

“I don’t want to go home,” I conceded. I played with the large bear on his bed and sighed. Honestly, one side of me was telling me to go home and accept my punishment, and the other side was telling me to just stay here for the night. My cheeks burned red from the thought

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter