Chapter 2

Far Away (Twoshots)

 

7 months later...

Jinae has finally graduated from university. She started working for a big company in downtown, Toronto and she loves what she does. Junhyung and Jinae are still going strong, despite their situation. They call each other, text each other and video chat whenever they have time. They would love to see each other again face-to-face, but with their constant busy schedules, this task is difficult

One day, Jinae was working at her desk, when her boss' secretary called her over.

"Miss Kim, Mr. Choi wants to speak to you in his office." Jinae gulped. The secretary had no expression on her face, so she couldn't figure out if it was something good or bad. Jinae nervously knocked on Mr. Choi's door.

"Come in." She opened the door slowly and stepped inside.

"Sir, you wanted to see me?"

"Ah, Miss Kim. Have a seat," he said, smiling at her. She felt a bit less nervous.

"Did I do something wrong, sir?" she asked.

"Oh, no, no, not at all. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You're hardworking and always made sure that everything was in order before you head home. You've also contributed a lot to many of our projects that had successful outcomes. You help your co-workers even though you're busy and I admire that. I want to promote you, Miss Kim. Now, I heard that your family is currently residing in Korea and it just so happens that one of our sister companies is there and they're looking for someone who is capable of filling a supervisor position. Would you be willing to take the job? The company will pay for your airfare and the company driver will bring you and all of your belongings to the airport. You won't only get to have a job that you've wanted ever since you started here, you'll also be able to live close to your family." 

Jinae was speechless. She had to process his words in her head several times before she could realize what he just said.

"Sir, are you serious? Of course! Yes, yes, I'm more than willing to take the job. Oh, thank you, Mr. Choi! Thank you so much! I won't let you down!" she said excitedly, getting up to shake his hand.

 

--

 

"Ah, it's good to be back, Korea. This time, permanently."

Jinae didn't tell her family or Junhyung that she was going back to Korea for good. She wanted to surprise them and see their priceless reactions. She took a cab to her parents’ house and when she arrived, she looked through the window and saw them sitting around the dining table. She rang the doorbell, and then heard someone walking towards the door. She knew that it was her sister and that she looked through the peephole because she heard a gasp then, "Umma! Appa! Jinae-unnie is outside. She heard several more footsteps scurrying towards the door, and then it flew open. The three stared at her with wide eyes. 

"Jinae! What are you doing here?" her mother asked in disbelief.

"What, you don't want me here?"

"No! We do! It's just that we thought you wouldn't visit until the Christmas holiday. How long will you be staying for?"

"Well, I was hoping that I could stay...forever?" They were at loss for words. "Hello? Are you guys okay?"

Without any words, they lunged at her, hugging her tightly. 

“Oh honey, you don’t know how happy we are! But how…?” Her father asked. 

“I’d love to tell you, but it’s cold out here and you guys are kind of suffocating me,” Jinae replied.

“Right, of course. Sorry! Jae, help your sister bring in her things.” They all let go of Jinae and helped her bring in her belongings.

 

--

 

“There’s something else I’ve been meaning to tell you guys that I couldn’t tell you on the phone,” Jinae started. They were all sitting in the living room, talking about things that happened while they were away from each other.

“What is it, Jin?” her mother asked.

“Well, you see…I have a boyfriend.”

“But unnie, you already told us that over the phone,” Jae said.

“I know, but I didn’t exactly tell you who it was.”

“Then who is it?” her father asked curiously.

“Well okay, let me start from the beginning. You guys remember that time you dropped me off at the airport and there were a bunch of girls there? You said that it’s because B2ST was there and that they were heading to Toronto for their Beautiful Show. Well, they really were there and I ran – well more like crashed – into Yong Junhyung while I was looking for the washroom. We talked and stuff until they called us to board the plane, and then at the airport in Toronto, we exchanged phone numbers. We started texting each other while he was there and then one night, he showed up at my dorm. He invited me out to eat with the rest of B2ST and after that, a relationship kind of bloomed. I went to their concert and even got to hang out with them before and after. We’ve been in a long-distance relationship for 7 months.” She looked at her family for any kind of reaction, but their expressions were blank. All of a sudden, they burst out in laughter, causing Jinae to frown.

“Come on, unnie. Who’s the obsessed fan now? Your real boyfriend is probably a drug dealer, isn’t he? That’s why you didn’t want to tell us,” Jae said.

“I’m not lying! Junhyung really is my boyfriend!” she insisted.

“Honey, I thought you were past the whole ‘obsession with boy bands’ phase.” Jinae huffed.

“Fine. If you don’t believe me, I’ll prove it to you.” She took out her phone from her bag and opened the photo gallery.  Before they left, she took photos with the whole group, with each one of them, and several more with Junhyung. She showed them to her family, as well as their texts to each for the past several months, some even saying, ‘I love you.”

“OH MY GOD! NO WAY! NO FREAKING WAY! You really are dating him! Unnie, oh my God, you are so lucky!” Jae said excitedly. Her parents were still gawking at the phone.

“My baby really is dating and idol.”

“Have you told him yet that you’re staying here for good?” her father asked.

“Not yet. I actually wanted to surprise him.”

“Unnie, can I come with you when you go see them?! Please, please, please! I’ll buy you anything you want, just name it!” Jae looped her arm around Jinae’s. “Please, please, please, unnie!”

“Actually, I could really use your help with something.” Jae’s eyes lit up.

“How can I help you?”

“When I was talking to my boss in Canada about the supervisor position here, he told me that I could find an apartment anywhere near my new job and the company will pay my rent for one year. I did some research before I left and found the most perfect apartment. Not only is the view great, but guess who lives in the same building?" JInae smirked when her sister started spazzing beside her.

"Can you please pinch me? Slap me or something because I'm pretty sure that I'm dreaming."

 

--

 

"Junhyung, can you please stop moping around? We have the day off and you're bringing everyone's mood down. We're supposed to be using this this time to have fun," Doojoon said, sitting on the edge of Junhyung's bed. The latter was lying down on his stomach, face buried in his pillow, cellphone in hand. 

"But, hyung! It's been two days since she last contacted me! No text, email, phone call, or anything. What if something happened to her?" he mumbled against the pillow. 

"Firstly, turn around because I can barely hear you and secondly, she's probably just busy or something. You can't just expect her to text you 24/7." Junhyung turned around so that he was lying on his back. 

"I know that, but she texts me or emails me at least once a day so that I know she's okay. I do the same too."

"You're making this bigger than it is. Maybe she was just really busy and didn't get the chance to contact you. Watch, I bet she'll call or something tonight." Doojoon grabbed Junhyung's hand and pulled him to sit up. "Stop being so depressed, Jun. Jinae loves you. I'm sure that she has a really good reason."

"I guess. But if I don't hear from her tonight, I'm calling the police in Canada or something." Doojoon shook his head and chuckled.

"You do that."

They joined the rest of the group in the living room and settled on watching a movie. Halfway through the flick, they heard the doorbell.

 Hyunseung got up and opened the door. A girl was standing there, smiling up at him. She looked to be Dongwoon's age. 

"Hello, my name is Kim Jae. My sister and I just recently moved into the apartment below yours and we were wondering if you guys would like to come over for dinner tonight. Don't worry; we're not stalkers or anything. Unnie is actually good friends with your manager, so he cleared us," she said, but Hyunseung barely heard what she said because he was too busy staring at her pretty face. 

"Seung, who's at the door?" Junhyung walked up behind him and looked over his shoulder. Jae waved at Junhyung and Hyunseung, for the life of him, couldn't keep his eyes off her. Junhyung waved back, then snapped his fingers in front of Hyunseung's face. "Who is she?"

"She...um...she's...pretty." Hyunseung clasped a hand on his mouth when he realized what he just said. Jae blushed and averted her eyes somewhere else. "I mean, her and her sister live on the floor below us and they're inviting us for dinner tonight. Her older sister is friends with hyung and he said that it's okay."

"Cool. Hey, you look familiar. Have we met before?" Junhyung asked.

"Maybe at a fan signing event, but I've only been to one 2 years ago? Other than that, I don't think we've met prior to this," she said quickly.

"Hm, maybe that's where I remember you from." 

"I have to get going now. I still have to help unnie cook. It was nice to meet you Junhyung-ssi." They bowed to each other, then she turned to Hyunseung. "You too, Hyunseung-ssi. I hope you guys can make it tonight."

"It was nice to meet you too. Um...see you tonight." Jae nodded and smiled at him before going back to her apartment.

"Looks like someone has a little crush," Junhyung teased, poking Hyunseung's side.

"Shut up."

 

--

 

"Jae, I need you to do something for me."

"What?"

"When the guys get here, tell Junhyung to go down to the lobby. Say that I'm downstairs and I need help bringing up some boxes, but don't say my name."

"Okay, unnie. This is so exciting! You should go down before they get here." Jinae nodded and left the apartment.

Several minutes later, Jae heard the doorbell. She opened the door and saw the whole group standing there. It took her all she had not to go into fan girl mode. Not right now, Jae. Focus! she thought.

"Good evening. I'm so glad that you guys could come. Please, come in." She opened the door wider and let them in. She introduced herself to them one by one and when she came face-to-face with Hyunseung, she couldn't contain the blush creeping up on her cheek. 

"Hello, I'm so happy you could come." Hyunseung smiled at her and she felt like fainting. But she knew that she had to keep herself together for her sister. She looked at her phone and pretended that she was reading a text.

"Um...Junhyung-ssi? Would be okay if you went downstairs and helped my sister? She went over to my parent's house earlier and picked up our remaining things, and she can't bring them all up at once. She doesn't want to leave them there either. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience," she said, hoping that he would agree.

"Sure, no problem." Jae mentally pumped her fist in the air in victory.

"Thank you so much! I think she's in the lobby now." 

 

--

 

Junhyung looked around the lobby for any signs of Jae's sister. He only saw one lady walk by, but she wasn't holding anything with her. He sat on one of the couches, thinking that she was probably still on her way home. Junhyung checked his phone repeatedly, but still no texts from Jinae.

"Aish, where are you?" he muttered. A minute later, his phone vibrated, making him jump a little. He immediately opened his phone and praised the Lord when he saw Jinae's name on the screen.

From: Jinae <33

Hey babe! Where are you?

 

To: Jinae <33

Baby! I miss you! I'm waiting for someone at the lobby of my building. The whole group is having dinner at a neighbor's place and I'm helping bring up some stuff. But the person I'm supposed to be helping isn't here yet.

 

From: Jinae <33

Ah, I see. Junnie, I really like that couch. Is it leather? I want to buy one for my apartment.

 

Junhyung, not realizing what Jinae just texted, examined the couch. 

 

To: Jinae <33

Yeah, I think it's leather. You should totally buy one.

 

From: Jinae <33

I will. Hey, is that the shirt I sent you? It looks good on you.

 

To: Jinae <33

Yes it is. I wear it almost every week. It's become my favorite shirt.

 

He waited for a reply, and then it hit him. He shot up and looked around the lobby.

 

To: Jinae <33

Umm...babe?

 

From: Jinae <33

Yeah?

 

To: Jinae <33

Where are you?!

 

From: Jinae <33

At home. Where else would I be?

 

To: Jinae <33

How come you knew about the couch and my shirt?!?!

 

From: Jinae <33

Lucky guess?

 

To: Jinae <33 

Yeah, right. Now tell me where you really are!

 

From: Jinae <33

Seriously, I'm at home!!

 

To: Jinae <33

Baaaabe~! Are you really at home?

 

From: Jinae <33

Yes I am! I'm in the lobby and I'm actually waiting for this guy to help me bring up my stuff, but he's too busy texting!

 

To: Jinae <33

Kim Jinae!!!

 

From: Jinae <33

Yeah? :)

 

To: Jinae <33

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!?!

 

"God, I've been standing behind you for the last 10 minutes and you still haven't noticed!" Junhyung froze. Could it be? He slowly turned around and a wave of emotions hit him. He walked - more like ran - to Jinae and threw his arms around her. "Missed me?"

"You're here! You're really here! B-But how...? I thought you weren't visiting until next month!" he said.

"Well, I was offered a job here and I couldn't pass up the opportunity," she replied, burying her face in his neck. They pulled apart, but Junhyung kept his arms on her waist.

"Wait, does that mean you're staying here?" Jinae nodded and Junhyung couldn't contain his excitement anymore. He kissed her like there was no tomorrow, missing the feeling of her soft lips against his. She smiled into the kiss, gently cupping his face with her hands. When they pulled apart, Jinae kept her eyes closed, savoring the moment that she's been waiting for, for months. 

"I love you."

"I love you too. God, it feels so good saying it to you face-to-face instead of on the phone." Junhyung couldn't agree more.

"JINAE-NOONA!" The couple turned their heads in time to see Kikwang, Yoseob and Dongwoon running towards her. Before she could move away, they've already jumped on her, sending the four of them to the ground. They piled on top of her, but were careful not to crush her.

"I love you guys, but please get off me!" Jinae pleaded. Everyone else laughed out loud at Jinae struggling to get out from underneath them.

"But we missed you so much!" Yoseob cooed. 

"Yeah! We missed you!" the other two added.

"Now you know how I felt when you attacked me in the airport," Junhyung said, smirking.

"Yah! I told you, that was an accident! Plus, if I hadn't run into you, we wouldn't have met!" she protested, still trying to get out of their grip.

"Good point. Hey, get off already." He yanked all of them off, despite their whining.

As Jinae was getting up, she noticed Jae and Hyunseung sneaking glances at each other, then looking away, blush evident on their cheeks.

"Aw, you two would make such a lovely couple!" she blurted out.

"Unnie!" Jae groaned. 

"I smell a new couple blooming," Doojoon teased, nudging Hyunseung. "Jinae, you wouldn't happen to have another woman in your family, would you?"

"My mother, but I'm afraid you'll have my father as a competition."

"Why, Jinae, why? Now I have disturbing images in my head."

"Hey, you asked."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lol, really random ending, I know. I didn't know what to put, so it ended like this. :P

Hope you liked it though! 

:)