Chapter 1

Cheaters' Game

 

Lee Donghae had always been a quiet and reserved young man. He kept to himself most of the time, restraining from the extravagant social lives that all of his acquaintances led. 19 years old and a college dropout, Donghae didn't have many friends, save for the rare few that he grew up with. He remembers spending his days alongside the tramps of the streets, befriending many of which were mobsters, frauds, imposters; it wasn’t the best teenage life but nonetheless helped him survive. They taught him all he needed to know; he learned all their secrets and became a master at his own game. And it was one that he played well.

///

In front of his eyes, the busy bustling of the city life passes him by. He has been wandering off, not knowing where to go all this time. Why? He has been running, away from everything; from the reality that he hates. Donghae finds himself leaning against the brick wall of an abandoned-looking house, his face turning redder and breath hitching every few seconds. In his mind, he thinks he’s going to die right then and there. A few more minutes, and he finds himself slowly drifting away, closing his eyes and falling asleep.

A man, carrying grocery bags in his arms, happens to pass by him. At first, he didn’t even notice but when Donghae falls over to the side, his body crashing to the ground, he quickly runs over to the poor guy. “Hey, wake up.” He gently shakes him as he notices that the man’s body is slowly burning up. Being used to this kind of situation, he slowly lifts him up and carries him bridal style towards the front gate. Fortunately, one of the kids inside sees them and opens the door for them both to get in.

///

The next day, Donghae wakes up in another unfamiliar room. It’s not like he’s ever woken up in a familiar place anyway but this time, he’s inside a room with a little boy busy reading a book. He blinks his eyes rapidly, letting them adjust to the light and clear his view of the place. The room isn’t large but there are five or so bunk beds. It’s cramped yet it looks clean. “Where am I?” He asks out loud and the boy finally notices that he’s awake.

“Wait here for a second, ahjussi. I’ll go call hyung.” The boy quickly runs off outside the room, leaving him wondering more to himself. He tries to sit up but hurriedly throws himself back to bed as he feels his head aching once again. He groans in frustration, wanting the pain to stop. He wants to bang his head to the wall, thinking that it might lessen the pain.

“Omo! Are you okay?” The man from last night hurries to his side, placing a hand on his forehead. Unfortunately for him, he still has a high fever. “Man, you need more rest,” The older man sighs as he gets the medicine sitting on the night stand. “Drink this after you’ve finished eating.” As if on cue, the little boy from before comes in with a tray. “Here, eat this.”

For obvious reasons, he’s awkward because the man is watching his every move. “You’re lucky I saw you last night because if not, who knows what might’ve happened to you there.” He grins. “By the way, my name’s Park Jungsu.”

He smiles genuinely for the first time in a long while. “Thank you for taking care of me.” It has been a long time since someone’s showed any form of concern for him. “I’m Donghae. Lee Donghae.”

“Well Donghae, you can use my phone if you need to inform a relative that you’re here. They might be worried now.” Jungsu leaves his phone on the night stand as he goes to the window to check on the kids outside.

Donghae frowns at the thought of such relatives. As if any of them would get worried, he thinks bitterly as he unintentionally stabs his food with a fork and eats it unwillingly. Jungsu witnesses the scene as he returns back to Donghae’s side. “Are you okay? Do you need anything else?”

“No, I’m fine. Thanks for asking.”

“But you don't seem that way."

Donghae sighs, giving up. He isn’t alright and he knows it well and he wonders how this man can be so kind to a stranger. “You don’t need to tell me if you don’t want to. Eat quickly so you can take your medicine.” He sits on the bed next to Donghae’s and watches the younger. “You can stay here until you feel better.” Donghae stares at him for a second, thinking if Jungsu might be insane. Are you kidding? What if I’m a robber or a murderer? Does he just trust people this easily?

“Hey, I know what you’re thinking. I’m the owner of this orphanage. It’s my duty to take in people who are lost, but don’t think that I care for you because it’s my job. I just truly cared, that’s all.”

///

Donghae is sweeping the floor, finishing his cleaning duties. It’s his last day staying in the orphanage and time for him to return to his disastrous little world. He feels like he’s been a burden so he stayed a little longer to help out with chores as gratitude. He reluctantly places the broom back in the closet and goes to the window, watching the kids outside as Jungsu was out to the market.

Subconsciously, he gazes out wistfully as he looks at the happy smiles on their faces, nothing but serenity painted on them.He’s going to miss this, Donghae thinks. Unknowingly, he’s become attached to the kids as they are the only real family he’s ever known. And the orphanage, it’s been his home, so warmly provided by Jungsu in the last two years.

“Hae-hyung! Come play with us!” The boy named Minho says loudly. Donghae jolts back to reality and smiles as he goes to play with them in the garden. He forgets about his train of thoughts for the time being and just enjoys his remaining time with the kids.

As Jungsu arrives home, two men, clad in suits and shades, stand at the door and hands him a letter. Donghae glances at the scene as Jungsu’s face pales for a second but immediately puts on a smile and bows. He shakes his head, knowing that the older man was pretending again. He has observed him for the past few days and he knew that something is up but who was he to ask? It’s not his business but he really wanted for the elder to open up to him because he wants him to trust him more.

He doesn’t know when he began to care. He doesn’t even care for himself but the way he saw Jungsu care for others and treat them like family, made his heart feel warm, finally cracking the slightest bit after staying cold for so many years. It’s like he finally found the angel that the heavens sent to look after him but it’s really a shame that he had to leave the place so soon. He sighs and tentatively approaches the older man.

Jungsu clutches the flimsy sheet tighter, his face paling in an instant after reading the letter. Now what? He thinks as he slowly turns his head to look outside the window. His heart clenches in pain as the thought of losing the orphanage is stuck in his mind. It can’t happen. What about the kids? He sighs in frustration.

“What’s the matter, hyung?” Donghae asks, standing near the kitchen door. Jungsu drops the almost crumpled paper on the floor as he was startled by the sudden appearance of the younger. Donghae beats him to picking up the paper and reads it. He, himself is surprised. “What are you going to do now, hyung?”

Jungsu could only stare at him and mutter some words. He doesn’t know either. Donghae stares, waiting for definite answers and feeling the guilt wash over him. Before he can stop himself, he blurts, “I’ll help you, hyung. Don’t worry. I will help you.”

///

Through the bright, streetlight-lined avenues, Donghae wanders around. He has been thinking what else he could do to earn the amount of money needed to keep the orphanage open. Yes, he decided to stay at the orphanage and help out with Jungsu’s dilemma because even though he could barely believe it at first, he found himself too attached to let go; he cared for them more than anything else. He has no one else to lean on; no one to care for and no one loved him more than the love he received from the little orphanage. The children’s laughter is music to his ears and their smiles brighten up his day.

Those were the last things he wanted to ever see disappear. It’s even difficult for him to see his new found brother, Jungsu, to be in such a situation, to pretend that everything is perfect. They tried as hard as they could to find foster parents for the kids, but it was still far from enough. Donghae groans as he sees a can in the way, kicking it hard, only for it land on the person in front of him.

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?” The said man glares at him and after a few moments, widens his eyes. The next thing Donghae knows, he is being squished by the pretty guy in a hug, controlling his tears that were threatening to fall. Donghae just stands there, still in shock as the passersby look at them in their strangled state. The guy sniffles as he tightens his embrace on him. “Donghae…” He whimpers as he hiccups for the nth time. “I miss Hannie.”

Then it hit him.

“Heechul-hyung?” He finally recognizes the pretty guy who is apparently drunk at the moment. “What happened with Hankyung-hyung?” He asks, despite it being two years since they last saw each other. “We broke up! That pabo.” Heechul sniffs and hiccups once again, falling into Donghae’s arms. He holds Heechul up, rubbing comforting circles on his back.

“I need him back, Hae!” He cries, this time, falling on to the ground. Donghae looks intently at him, feeling pity at the current state of his long lost friend. “Go get him back, hyung.”

The next thing he knew, he was being dragged inside a casino, and although this was a completely foreign place, this is exactly what he’d imagined from the stories he’s heard all those years ago. Heechul runs inside, leaving him standing near the reception area, just outside the large doors that led to the poker tables, bar, and dining hall. His eyes wander around, feeling a little envious of the captivating dress of the men and women going in and out of the luxurious rooms.

Donghae feels slightly out of place as he glances down at his dusty white t-shirt, loose black overalls, and a tattered, leather jacket that’s kept him warm for the past five years. His lets his eyes take in this overwhelming sight; from the crystal chandelier hanging in the center, to the red velvet carpet, the gold finish that lined the ceiling, and the rest of the glamorous décor that surrounded him.

“Welcome, welcome all!”

Donghae turns at the booming voice, eyes landing on a short, well-dressed man, standing in the centre of the grand hall with a microphone in hand. Next to the marble hummingbird fountain, the man stood on a small stage as he greets his patrons, both old and new, that waltz through the door and into the game room.

“The Golden Gate Casino welcomes you! Here, where we service both young and old; from Poker to Black Jack, to Bridge and Slot Machines. Winning is a guarantee – you’ll love our exquisite dinner menu, enjoyed with our fine selection of superior wines, you’ll be bound to leave here with–“

And then the host’s speech was cut short; Donghae shifts his gaze to the entrance and something in his throat catches. Because at that moment, walking through the door, trailing bodyguards and paparazzi, was just about the most gorgeous man he’s ever laid eyes on.