Chapter 1

Renewal

 

 

Key’s POV~

It’s been four years. Four years since he died. Four years since we’ve been married. I was in our old apartment, hugging my knees close to my chest on the couch we used to snuggle on. We’d watch my favorite horror movies… his favorite comedies… and our favorite romances.

Why hadn’t he told me of his asthma? If it was this way, I would’ve taken care of him better. Why was I only to find out when it was too late?

 We never really fought… Jonghyun and I. I’ve refused to marry anyone else. Jonghyun was the only one for me.

I spent another sleepless night crying. Minho had always told me that crying didn’t get me anywhere. But it wasn’t like I had anywhere to go. Or anything to lose. I moped on the couch and groaned. Since him, I don’t have the courage to get a better job with more decent wages. I haven’t gone shopping for any new clothes, and I don’t have the courage to cook your favorite meals. It just hurts so much.

To think that our wedding kiss would be our last sent chills down my spine. I couldn’t blame him. My dear, precious yeobo. With his soft smile and chocolate brown hair, with his almond eyes and heart shaped lips… with his love for me. We were unconditionally in love. I still am.

Are you listening to me rant again, Jongy? Is it fun in heaven? I-I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you… I’m so sorry.

 

I woke up the next morning, groggy and low tempered as usual. I poured myself a cup of coffee, popped bread into the toaster, and took a shower. The warm water always helped me clear my head. My eyes stung from all the crying, but my sore muscles were relieved of all the stress.

“Time for work…” I grumble to myself, while heading out the door to my new job. I was now a secretary. Dressed up in a plain gray suit and blue tie… I looked like any typical business guy. Just not the ones who always got fired. It’s been difficult to hold a job since Jongy. Maybe I’ll die soon. Wouldn’t that be better?

I called for a taxi and we drove a short distance away. I could’ve walked it if I had the energy. I lazily stood from the taxi, handed the driver cash, and strode out, looking as “upbeat” as possible.

Once I entered the building, I was given the floor and room to attend for the interview. I mumbled unintelligent words to myself as I pushed the button for Floor 7. A young man stood beside me and smiled. “Good morning.”

I just nodded my head and continued to look forward, away from him. We were walking the same direction. We entered the same room. I stared at his strangely, long enough for him to notice and chuckle. He sat in the chair where manager’s usually sat. I continued to eye him weirdly.

“Well, I didn’t know you were Kim Kibum. Welcome. My name is Lee Jinki, but feel free to call me Onew.”

My eyes widened. “You’re the one interviewing me?”

“Is there a problem.” It was more of a statement then a question.

“Ani. I just didn’t think he’d be so… young.” I replied shakily.

“But I’m older than you.” Onew replied curtly.

I just nodded my head, still in shock. His office was sleek, painted white, with glass desks and shelves. Pitch black chairs complimented the room and plants were added for a feminine touch. I liked it. Ooh, and there are pretty paintings.

“Ahem.” Jinki interrupted. “Well let’s get started. How did you find the LinK Group? And why do you want to work here?”

I always hated questions like these. “I was referred to it by one of my old coworkers. He thought it would be the place for me, since I’m a bit… different.”

“I see.” Onew said. He was leaning over his desk and forming a fist as if thinking hard. I mentally giggled.

“Well, what about your qualities? Anything specifically special about you? Anything you’re bad at?”

There it was. The “I’m bad at this” question. Over all the interviews, I knew never to answer that. It would only mean I lost the job. “I can cook, clean, organize, and have things done at a moment’s notice.  As for my weaknesses, I really don’t have any. I’m a bit of a perfectionist.” I tried looking confident. Are you proud of me, Jongy yeobo?

Lee Jinki looked impressed. He gave me a thumbs up and a cheeky smile. “You’re hired. You start tomorrow from 7AM to 4PM. It may be a little early, but you’re a perfectionist, right? I’m pretty sure you can handle it.” Did he just smirk at me?

I was excited. This was one of the top 5 companies in the world… and I would be making, at minimum, thirty five dollars an hour. Considering my economic situation, I was doing pretty well. And for once in my life, I forgot about my depression.

 

Three years since I’ve been at the LinK group, and I don’t think I’ll ever leave. It’s been two years since I’ve been dating my boss, Onew, and I was finally happy. Jongy, are you there? Are you proud that I’m here? Or… are you sad that I’m not with you? I still miss you.

I’ve never told Onew about Jonghyun. Ever.

I never will.

 

~

 

As much as I used to love guys, I'm Catholic. So I don't thin I will be writing those kind of things any longer. My writing is simply for the love of writing and my love for SHINee. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. ;)