Kai: Chapter 19

Bad Boy

 

"Won't it get cold?" You ask Kai, trying to feel less nervous. You feel like blabbing for no particular reason, and you don't appreciate this out-of-control feeling.

"I already gave you my coat," Kai says. Oh. That's right. Stupid. You look away, feeling uncomfortable, but Kai speaks up again, saying, "You ever fall asleep listening to music?"

"Yeah," you reply. You blink at the stars. Earlier, you hadn't felt tired, but a wave of lethargy is beginning to grasp you. "I do. It's nice. Why? Did you bring your iPod?"

"Nope," he responds. He stirs, and you can feel the way his clothes brush against your skin as he moves. It's darker now, and the tender gleam of the moon only highlights the scattered drops of light traveling across the pond. He starts humming, the gentle tone easily cutting the air with its distinct, low sound. You can sense the way the tune vibrates in his chest, the way his lips hum. After a full minute of listening to him illustrate a song you are unfamiliar with, he pauses and says, "You were supposed to fall asleep just then."

"What?"

"I was your one-minute iPod," he informs you. Folding his arms behind his head, he sighs tiredly. "Whatever. You missed your chance. Night." He turns over (facing the other side, thankfully) and starts to fall asleep. You risk a glance, but of course you don't see anything, since it's so dark. Breathing out wearily, you turn to the other side, too, and close your eyes. 

You don't know how you'll be able to fall asleep. You took a nap earlier today, and that's one factor that's going to prevent you from sleeping. There's also the undeniable knowledge that Kai is less than a foot away from you, slumbering in the dark, his body heat curling against your back. 

So, yeah. You don't know how to sleep anymore. But you'll try.

-----

What time is it?

That's the first thought that enters your mind as your eyes slowly open. You squint - the sun is too bright - and rub a tired fist over your eyes. You actually fell asleep? How? How was that even possible? 

You stare at the grass that shivers in the slight breeze and smile to yourself as the memories of yesterday invade your mind. It was a good night, wasn't it? You just hope that, for Kai, its as good a night as well.

Speaking of Kai ... you turn over to face him, but then you have to bite your lip in order to prevent yourself from yelping in alarm. He must have turned over sometime during the night, because he isn't facing the opposite way anymore. In fact, he's facing you, and he's way too close, closer than he had been last night. This isn't a distance. This space separating you both? This? It's barely anything.

You take deep breaths, trying to calm yourself down as you look at his face. He looks so peaceful like that. Different. Young. You can see the length of his eyelashes, the pattern of his tan skin, the lines that shape his lips ... 

Wait. You are not supposed to be thinking about lips right now. Especially not Kai's lips. Especially not his. It's kind of hard not to, however. Because they are really pink. And pretty. And, well, just entirely too kissable. You wonder ... what would it be like to wake up to this every day?

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. You turn the other way in an attempt to stop getting ahead of yourself. You can't have Kai wake up and see you were staring at him. That is just plain awkward, not to mention, embarrassing.

You hear him as he shifts, and thinking that he's woken up, you stay still as you hear Kai move. Shutting your eyes closed, you wait as you sense him slowly get up. He yawns, a little yawn that sounds adorably childlike. You crack your eyes open to see his shadow laid out on the grass in front of you. The arms of his shadow stretches, and then he tousles his own hair. He sits there for a few seconds before he turns his head toward you, and you shut your eyes again and wait. Seconds pass - seconds that feel like minutes, like hours, like days - and then you feel him hovering over you, feel his palm gently lay on your shoulder as he tries to wake you.

"Hey," he whispers in your ear, his voice a welcome rush of warm air. "Do you know what time it is?"

"Did I miss class?" You sit up abruptly, almost hitting his head in the process. He gives you a queer look, and you remember that you're supposed to be ... well, asleep.

"Were you awake?" He smirks.

"Of course not," you stammer, trying to look sleepy again. You feign a yawn and, recalling that he let you borrow his jacket, start taking it off. Kai shakes his head, and you stop.

"You can keep it. It's fine." He stands up, brushing his hands together. He pats down his formal pants, shaking off the dirt that has scuffed his knees, and helps you up, his warm hands pulling you to him. He meets your eyes briefly, an indecipherable look in those dark irises; then he pulls back, almost making you fall in your sudden lack of balance. Beginning to walk away, Kai strides ahead, wordlessly urging you to follow him. You scurry forward, brushing the dirt off of you along the way, and wince as you feel a sharp pain shoot up your back. This is what you get for sleeping on the flat ground.

"Where are we going?" You question as he purposefully walks forward. His collar is awry, his hair an unruly mess, and one sleeve is haphazardly rolled up to his elbow, but he still manages to look appealing. Sometimes you hate his bad boy charm. Couldn't he tone down his allure? Just a little?

"Breakfast," he informs you. He approaches the parking lot and takes out his car keys from his pockets. Unlocking his car with his remote, he slides into the driver's seat, and after a bit of hesitation, you enter the passenger's side. He revs up the engine, the music on his radio blasting the space. He reaches over to turn it off and, with quick, blithe movements, drives out of the parking lot and into the road. "I know a really good place," he tells you as he steps on the brake a little roughly. "It's nothing fancy. But I think you will like it."

Again. He's doing it again. Assuming what you'll like. It makes you happy, it really does, and you can't help but grin to yourself as he drives. From the corner of your eye, you see him glance at you and smile.

Soon, you arrive at the place to which he's referring. He parks on the side street and shuts the door firmly. He stands near the street light, waiting for you, and you struggle to reach him. "Are you sure you don't want this back?" You ask him, the lapel of his jacket. It looks - and feels - expensive. 

"I don't need it. I have more at home," he says, and without another word, he opens the door to the little shop and gestures you to come inside.

Just as he had described it, it's a simple place. Despite it's lack of pomp, it's delicate interior is plainly enticing, not to mention the variety of smells that drift in the still air. There's a window counter with baked goods displayed behind the glass, and a few chairs and tables fill the floor. The lady at the counter looks up when you enter, and with a friendly smile, she greets, "Can I help you?"

"What do you want?" Kai asks you. You stare at the menu, trying to briskly pick something. You don't want him waiting on you, so you say the first thing you see, and Kai just nods and repeats it to the worker, who rings it up. Kai gets something of his own - just a drink, thank you, he says - and he chooses to sit at a table not far from the counter. He leans back in his chair and, with a nonchalant look in his eyes, asks, "Did you sleep well?"

You blush unwarrantedly, and an amused smile curls his lips. If you keep this up, he's going to know you were staring at him, and you can't have that. "Of course," you reply, clearing your throat. "I - "

"Here you go," the lady says, bringing your order to the table. Kai leans over to blow at his drink, the smoke dispersing across the surface and fizzing into the air. 

"I what?" Kai asks, not letting you off the hook.

"I said, of course I slept well," you huff. "I jus - "

"Kai?" A voice squeaks. You both turn to see a girl near your table. She looks ... familiar, although you don't know where you could have possibly seen a girl wearing a pencil skirt that tight or heels that high. But then it strikes you - that first day. No. Second? You had just arrived at the school, and she had asked you whether you were dating Kai. That was so ... long ago. But you remember it, alright. You remember the way she looked at you. Like you were competition. 

"Miyoung," Kai says, his voice filled with saccharine, his smile too bright. You feel your heart pound in both anticipation and fear and watch as she sits next to Kai. Miyoung. That Miyoung? "What are you doing here?"

"Having breakfast," she says, shrugging. She scoots over casually, positioning herself closer to Kai. You're about to say something when Kai drapes an arm over her shoulder. "Who's this?" She asks.

Kai looks at you. For a beat, you could swear he was staring at you with utmost apology. But then he smirks, that silly, adorable, irritating smirk that stirs your heart in indescribable ways. "She's a friend."