Kai: Chapter 26

Bad Boy

 

You smile back at him and let him lead you out of the hospital. The tight aura that had misted your heads has lifted, and Kai seems to be in a better mood. He grabs your hand, and you look at him in surprise. He doesn't even seem to notice what he's doing, which gives you the hint that his hand had reached out unconsciously. You let him pull you down the street and across the road. You can feel the contentment tingling his fingers, sparking the touch that connects you both, but you don't say a word about it. For now, you're okay with quietly accompanying him like this. 

"Are you free?" Kai asks you.

"Uh ... I think so. Why?"

"I wanted to celebrate," he says, his eyes brightening. He squeezes your hand and nods at a tiny gelato shop inserted between two larger dessert shops. "Do you like gelato?"

"I like sweets," you reply, and he laughs. 

"Come on," he says, tugging on your hand like a little boy. "We haven't really gone on an official date yet."

"No?" you perk up as your heart starts to rapidly palpitate. "All those other times didn't count?"

"I didn't really ask you to go out with me."

"You're not asking now."

A slow smile spreads across his face before he looks at you with an entertained light dancing in his eyes. "Well." He opens his mouth as if to reciprocate your suggestion, but then a vivid pink tones his cheeks. "Uh ... " He stutters over his syllables before clearing his throat and saying, "Uh, you want to ... go on a date with me?"

You have to chuckle at the fact that Kai has the nerve to say the rudest things but becomes diffident when it comes to declaring his thoughts. "No."

"No?" He questions in surprise, his voice breaking at the end. He clears his throat again and, in a lower, more normal voice, he says, "No, what?"

"No, I'm not going on a date with you." You glance at him and almost burst out laughing when you see the entirely too saddened expression on his face. His bottom lip sticks out, and as soon as you see that, your mind flashes to the kiss. You blush as red as Kai had  moments ago and look away. "I was joking."

"Joking?" He repeats, as if he doesn't know what that is.

"Yeah, you know, when you say something but really mean something else." You stare at him. "I would think you'd know something like that."

A pause, and then he just grins and lets go of your hand. He throws his free arm around you and pulls you inside the crook of his arm, cradling you against his side, his palm resting on your shoulder. "That wasn't a joke, was it?"

"I don't know," you say, trying to shrug. 

"I don't want to go to the gelato store anymore," Kai says, steering you away from the shop when you're literally two feet away from it. You raise your head to look up at him in confusion, but the sudden proximity you find yourself in startles you, and you immediately turn away. Kai notices this and smugly smiles to himself. "I want to go to the school."

"The school?" You ask him as you find yourself back in the parking lot. He breaks away from you and takes out his keys before he opens the door and steps inside. After turning the car on, he throws an arm around the passenger seat's headrest and starts backing out. You don't know why, but you're so fascinated by how he looks as he drives out of the lot. It could be the way his shirt stretches across his chest, or that undone collar that reveals a sleek neck. His necklace disappears below his shirt, and you gulp and try to refocus your mind on something less suggestive.

"I want to show you the dance I practiced for," Kai tells you as he pulls onto the road. The tires squeak against the pavement, and he grimaces at the sharp sound. "Sorry," he mutters as he gently steps on the brakes. "But, you wouldn't mind, would you?"

"Skipping class?" You scoff. "Oh, definitely not, it's not like I have a whole day's worth of school to make up for."

"Me neither," he agrees. You shortly arrive at the school, and Kai backs into a parking spot. He exits the car and goes over your side to open the door for you. After getting out, you follow him into the educational building. 

"Aren't we going to be seen?" 

"Nah," he shakes his head as he pulls the entrance doors open. The hallways are silent, and you can hear bits of the lesson teachers are relaying echo through the air. Silently but surely, he pads down the hallway and heads for the forgotten dance room. You duck your head and honestly pray that nobody will find you and take you to the principal.

You make it to the dance room without any interruptions. Kai pulls out another key and inserts it into the lock before he twists the knob and pushes the door open. "This has a key?" You wonder out loud, and he lets you inside. He walks over to the speakers sitting on the floor and turns on the iPod connected to it.

"I borrowed it," he answers airily. Borrow, hm? That sounds credible. He scrolls through the songs on his playlist before picking one. The song starts to play, but he pauses it immediately and looks at you. "Uh, just so you know ... well ... are you sure you don't mind watching?"

"Why would I?" You say as you sit down on the bench and try to relax. 

"Well, I've never ... besides my teacher, I haven't really danced in front of anyone," Kai admits rather bashfully. "I'm not saying I'll get stage fright," he quickly adds, frowning. "That's not possible." He watches you with narrowed eyes, as if to say that his becoming embarrassed on a stage is impossible due to the fact that he's a guy. 

"Whatever you say," you reply as he takes off his blazer. You're abashed to admit it, but you found that action really attractive just then. He rolls up his sleeves, buttoning them up to his elbow, and untucks his shirt. He unties and reties his shoelaces before hopping a bit on the ground, using his toes to propel himself into the air. His hair flops up and down in that perfect cascade of dark brown strands as he moves, and he puffs up his cheeks and breathes out in time to the beat he's created. Finally, he stands still, leans down, and lets his finger hover over the play button. 

"Don't make fun of me after, okay?" He requests. You smile, and with a shake of his head, he presses the play button, walks away from the speakers, and proceeds to dance.

The song starts with the reverberating words of 'She's my baby' transmitting through the speakers. A synthesized guitar plays the instrumental, and Kai starts to dance, shyly at first. His actions are constricted, but then, as the song continues, he loosens up and gives it his all. You've never seen him dance like this before. This isn't anything like that time when you first saw him dancing so many months ago, when you had accidentally stumbled across this room. This is Kai dancing for what he hopes will happen, and genuinely wishing to impress you and any future watchers. You sit there, entranced, as his body waves to the music, as his feet spin off the ground, as his hands motion the rhythm. With each exaggerated movement, his fluffy hair does that signature flip that only adds to the classy effect. The expression on his face is serious, and every time those indescribably dark eyes catch your own, he smirks. You gulp nervously and watch as he dances. You're no professional dancer. You barely know anything about dance steps. But you can tell that whatever it is Kai has learned over the years are moves that he's definitely mastered. He's not simply dancing. He's singing, if that's possible. Singing with his arms, his legs, with his whole entire body. Singing with his lips when he smiles, singing with his fingers when he turns. There's something in the restricted but carefree manner he steps across the floor that affects your heart rate in a crazy way and you almost feel like you're watching something improper. Then he ends the song, walking away with a drunken stride. He's still lost in the mood he's created - you can tell, because he just stands there, as if trying to vainly gather the remnants of his person. He looks up at you, that confident glare fading from his eyes, that mischievous smirk still clinging to his lips.

"So?" He speaks, looking to you for approval.

Well. There isn't really much you can say about that without giving yourself completely away. "It was good."

"Just good?" he raises his brows in surprise, walking over to you with that apathetic step. He sits beside you, his thigh pressing against yours. His chest rises and falls in huge gasps of breath, and he asks, "You didn't like it?" He leans forward and smirks. "Or did you like it too much?"

"You're stupid," you say, raising a hand to push him away, but he just grabs your wrist and hold it. You share a firm, tense gaze with him. Before he can do anything to you, you burst out, "You think you'd be allowed to dance that?"

"Why not?" He asks, letting go of you.

"I think some girls might faint."

He laughs. "Jealous?" You shake your head vigorously, but he smiles at you like he knows what you're unwilling to admit. "There isn't really anything to be jealous about. Girls don't like me. Well. They like me," he corrects, "but they can't tolerate me."

"Not even Miyoung?" Your mouth slips out. You can't take it back now; you've already said it. He watches you before he runs a hand through his hair.

"Miyoung is a business partner. She's not interested in me in that sense. And I'm not interested in her. Oh. But I need to talk to Hyunsoo. You know she helped me out with telling me where your room was?"

"So you've said."

"Well, I ought to thank her. Which I haven't. I need to do that." He takes out his phone, stares at the unlocked screen, and laughs lightly. "I guess, in a way ... you helped us talk again. In a real way, not in a, 'hey, I've got stuff to sell, you want it?' way."

"I did?"

"Yeah," Kai nods. "You did. So thanks for that too. Or ... for just sticking with a guy like me." The bell rings, and you jump instinctively. He watches you, entertained, before he sighs. "I guess it's time to go back to class."

"Guess so," you say, standing up. You start leaving, but then halt. "Kai ... do you want to come sit with us at lunch?"

He considers this for a moment. His face is so blank that you can't predict what he'll say, but then that beautiful grin that decorates both his lips and his eyes appears on his face. "Sure."