Monday to Sunday [ft. Peniel D. Shin]

The BTOB Files

"I'm late for work, I'm late for work, I'm late for work," Song Chanri muttered as she rushed into her kitchen. The kitchen slowly began to look messier and messier as she searched for her lost car keys. After locating them behind a jar of mayonnaise, Chanri didn't even have time to close the refrigerator door nor register the look of rage on her mother's face as she left the kitchen in complete disarray. Grabbing a white apron from the coat rack near her front door, she shouted a, "Bye, mom!" as she bolted towards her car.

"Yah, Song Chanri!" bellowed her mother, but by that time, Chanri was already inside her car and nearly backed into a bicyclist in her haste to get to her workplace. Driving like a madwoman, Chanri finally reached the coffee shop that she worked at in record time- ten minutes flat. With Seoul traffic, that was record time. She tried to put on her apron as she walked towards the door, but got distracted by an incoming text message. Her face scrunched in annoyance as she pulled the vibrating contraption from her jeans pocket, but softened when she saw whom it was from.

Peniel's name in bubbly, pink, Romanized letters appeared on her phone. He was one of her friends at school, and a American-Korean foreigner. They were put in the same special Korean class for kids that grew up overseas and they instantly clicked. Chanri wondered what he wanted at this time. She was sure that she returned his calculator to him earlier that day. Opening the text, she read: hey are u busy later.

Smiling at his lack of grammar use, Chanri replied with: I'm going to work right now, but I get off in two hours. Why? Of course, Chanri was anxious for a response, but just then, the part-time worker from the shift before got her attention. "Um, I suggest clock in before the boss blows his top off again," she mumbled quietly, then looked at Chanri apologetically. Rolling her eyes knowingly, Chanri smiled at the girl before sauntering off inside. Her phone vibrated again, but she made eye contact with her boss and knew that she'd be in deep trouble if he saw her checking her phone. At least she had some motivation to do her work now.

The first of her customers was a young couple, about her age. Feeling bubbly inside, she greeted them with a warm smile and asked to take their order. Was it just her or was the girl looking a bit...less than thrilled? Chanri wanted to comfort her, but that'd be a bit strange. Sneaking a glance at the girl's boyfriend, she was disheartened to see that his eyes were wandering around the cafe. Poor girl, she thought. Then, she made her way around the cafe, taking orders and fetching water for the customers. When she got to another table with a couple, Chanri noticed something different in the atmosphere. It was tense; you could cut it with a butter knife.

Today was the first day she had gotten yelled at by a customer. She knew it was bound to happen, but it took Chanri by surprise. Thankfully, the girl gave her an apology and told her she could go, so Chanri obliged. The scolding stuck with her for the whole day, however, and by the time her shift ended, she was still feeling a bit hurt. Glumly checking her phone, it was only then she remembered about Peniel's text. Opening the message, it was him asking her to meet him at school at 6PM because she had left her agenda planner at school. The clock said it was 5:30, so she texted him back quickly. Clocking out of work, she got into her car and drove all the way to her school.

When she exited the parking lot, she stared at the doors and wondered where the heck they were going to meet. Chanri was just about to text Peniel and ask when someone snuck up behind her and yelled, "BOO!" Letting out a shriek, she spun around to see Peniel grinning deviously at her. Punching him on the arm, she gave him a scowl. "You're a jerk," she muttered in English.

"I know," he replied in English as well, referring to the pop song. He tossed her the planner that she had misplaced and smirked. Chanri leafed through the pages to make sure that he didn't doodle something stupid in it. Nodding at him, she said, "Thanks."

"Here, I also got this for you. It's a calendar," he said, taking out a small notebook from his pocket. It was bubbly, baby blue and covered in drawings of puppies and stars. He walked around like he was a cool kid, but looking at the notebook, it just screamed...Peniel. Chanri thanked him once more and was about to put it in her pocket, but he stopped her. "Aren't you going to look at it?" he asked playfully. Rolling her eyes, she opened to a random page. Chanri let out a little gasp at what she saw. All seven days of the week were spread out across every two paged, but the thing that took her aback were the hand-drawn hearts and side notes next to the days. On April 27, 2012, there was a cute drawing of a smiling heart and in Peniel's handwriting, a message that said, 'Every single day, you make my heart sway.' Flipping through the pages, she saw that he had doodled and inserted comments next to every single day of the year.

"Um, I didn't really know how to tell you this, but..." Peniel started, rubbing the back of his head. "Over the months, I started to like you. Oh God, that sounds so weird and cliche. But...yeah. So I thought, since you're always doing something everyday and your old agenda planner looked kind of beat up, I'd get you a new one and stuff. I secretly took your planner from your purse when you weren't looking so I could have a legitimate reason to see you, so...yeah." By the end of his little monologue, Peniel was as red as a tomato.

"You went through my stuff?" were the first words out of Chanri's mouth. Truth be told, her heart was ready to explode out of joy. It was beating so fast, she was scared that it would just stop suddenly. Peniel smiled nervously. "Um....kind of...sort of...yeah, I did. But yeah, I did," he admitted sheepishly. "But...thanks for being here every day of the week for me. I don't think I would have adjusted to Korea as much as I have now if you weren't there with me. God, that sounds so cheesy. So...do you want to go out with me?"

There it was. There was the question she was waiting to hear. Chanri was too happy at this point that she began to act like her normal, uncomposed self. Staring up into those curious eyes, she couldn't help but sock him in the arm one more time. His expression was pricesless. "Peniel D. Shin, you are the biggest dork I have ever met in my entire life," she said with a mischievous grin. Moving closer to him, she hugged him before he could say anything else. As he wrapped his arms around her, she confessed, "But I hope you never change. Of course I'll go out with you."