The Injured Dog

My Pet

"No one can know about this, Hyunseung-ah. I can't risk him being taken away... not again."

"Junhyung-ah, calm down... please calm--"

"I'm so stupid! We shouldn't have done this! We shouldn't have--"

"Junhyung-ah! What's done is done... you can't take it back."

"...I wish I could take it back. I shouldn't have done what I did..."

~✰~✰~✰~

"Doojoon-hyung, you're gonna be late!"

Doojoon could hear the shout ringing in his ear, the same thing over and over.

"Hyung, wake up!"

Then suddenly, Doojoon opens his eyes, face planted on the floor kissing the hardwood. He supports his body and gets up from his uncomfortable position.

"I'm gonna kill you, Kikwang..." Doojoon turnsaround to glare at his younger roommate. With his arm up in the air, Doojoon zooms out and chases Kikwang down the apartment. As soon as he gets a hold of his roommate, the former starts shaking the latter until he began to plea.

"Okay! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Doojoon lets go of Kikwang after the multiple cries. "You should buy yourself an alarm clock if you don't want me to wake you up like that... I was actually thinking of pouring cold water on you."

"Good thing you didn't because I'd give you a nice beating, kid."

"Who you calling kid? I'm just a year younger than you are!"

"With that height of yours? You'd pass as my 10-year old cousin."

Kikwang isn't fond of "height" jokes. When Doojoon saw the upset face on his friend, he apologized, "I get it. I'm sorry. No height jokes. What time is it now?"

"It's 7:43. If you dress up fast and sprint, you might make it to your second subject."

"Haha, very funny."

Doojoon stretches his arms and goes to the bathroom to wash his face then dress up for school. 19-year old Yoon Doojoon lives together with his friend, 18-year old Lee Kikwang. They both go to the same university, Dongkyu University, taking up Physical Education. Doojoon majors in team sports while Kikwang majors in body-building. Their dreams are simple. Doojoon wants to be part of the Nation's Soccer Team while Kikwang wants to open up his own gym. Okay, maybe it's not that simple but they're not looking for a high-paying job. They're following their passion and they're hoping to get to it. The two being abandoned teenagers, there's not much else to live for except their dreams.

"Your classes are tonight, right?" Doojoon asks Kikwang who is washing dishes in their small kitchen.

"Yeah. It starts at 4pm, I'll be back by 10."

"I'll make sure to have some food for ya."

"Thanks, honey~"

Doojoon sticks out his tongue; a bit red on the cheeks. He doesn't like showing his embarrassed side, so it becomes a habit of his to stick out his tongue whenever Kikwang calls him in one of those couple-y nicknames. Kikwang just laughs as his hyung leaves their apartment to rush for school. Not that he can make it considering it's a 30-minute walk from their apartment. But the farther the apartment from the university, the cheaper the rent. 180,000 won per month? Incredibly cheap but distance is the price. 
The boys have no choice but they're making ends meet.

~✰~✰~✰~

Junhyung slaps himself on the forehead. He curses at himself, calls himself different names. He blames himself for what had happened. It's all his doing, all his fault.

"I shouldn't have done this! I'm so stupid, Hyunseung-ah!"

Hyunseung hugs his lover and tries to calm him, but to no avail. The latter still cries out his pain.

"It was an accident. The door was open... you--"

"If I hadn't gone out for a smoke. If I hadn't... he'd..."

"Ssh... quiet now..."

"It's the same as 5 years ago. Why does this keep happening..."

"Your brother has always been curious. He'll always want to go out and explore. You can't blame yourself."

"Should I blame my brother?"

"That's not what I--" Hyunseung sighs, "There's no use. I don't wanna hit a nerve." Hyunseung quiets down and keeps Junhyung wrapped in his arms. The two are seated on the floor, in each other's embrace. So many problems, so many issues. Let the tears fall first -- let the search come later.

~✰~✰~✰~

5pm. Doojoon's been walking for the past 21 minutes. He jogged a while back, maybe this is his fastest time home yet. His sweat drips, his breathing uneven. He keeps on walking until he reaches a familiar street, a familiar apartment building. But something's different. He hears a whimper. He looks behind the bush--

"A dog?"

The dog is injured. His left paw is bleeding.

"Were you run over?" Doojoon asks, as if he'll get an answer.

The dog just lies down on its side, whimpering and in pain. Doojoon knows Kikwang's afraid of dogs. That's why they agreed to not having pets. But this little one... he's injured. Would Kikwang be fine with it? Doojoon thinks. The cries from the dog is what makes Doojoon decide. He picks up the dog and carries him inside.

"A little first aid won't do us any harm. It's not like we're keeping you. I'll play doctor for you, hm?" Doojoon smiles at the dog cradled in his arm. The dog wasn't that big, probably weighed 60kg. His fur mixed with brown and white, a few golden strands but definitely a pure breed of something.

Doojoon gets to his floor and opens his apartment door. Putting his bag down, he goes to the bathroom to get the first aid kit. With the kit in one hand and the dog on the other, he puts down the dog on the kitchen counter. He grabs a clean towel and presses down on the wound. The dog whines and shakes but Doojoon lays him down again.

"It's okay, little guy. The pain won't last long."

Doojoon presses on the wound slowly until he's sure there won't be an infection. Once he's sure the bleeding has stopped, he gets some antibacterial soap and cleans the wound. The dog continues to whimper but Doojoon feels as if the dog is being strong. Doojoon then grabs a bandage in the kit and wraps it around the dog's paw.

"That oughta do it. If it doesn't heal in two days, I'll be changing your bandage again. Sound fair?" the dog gets up on 3 paws and Doojoon. Like the dog is saying 'thank you' the way dogs do.

"Aw... aren't you a sweet one. But we gotta be careful, my roommate hates--"

"DOG!!!!!!!!!!!"

Doojoon is startled and he sees a frightened Kikwang by the doorway, backed up on the wall while shivering in fear. 

"Kikwang, I thought you--"

"M-My class e-ended e-early... I-I forgot... m-my book... wh-why is t-there a d-d-d-dog........"

"He's not gonna bite. Look!" Doojoon carries the dog and puts him right in front of Kikwang's face. Kikwang turns his head, not taking a single breath. 

"Get him away from me!"

"He won't bite--"

Kikwang managers to crawl under Doojoon's arm and backs away. "I hate dogs. I hate them."

"Kikwang-ah..."

"We're not keeping him, are we?"

"He's injured. We can't leave him out there."

"There's no way he's staying here!"

"Be fair, Kikwang-ah. We can't let him die out in the cold."

Doojoon then does his signature pouting face. The pout together with the dog's pleading doe eyes, Kikwang was defeated.

"Fine. He stays. Be he doesn't go near me. He stays in your room, okay?"

"Deal!"

Doojoon then sees the dog wagging his tale. As if he understood everything they were talking about. Doojoon pats the little dog's head and smiles. This is the start of something new and exciting... but how long will the happy feelings last?

 

~✰~✰~✰~
AUTHOR'S NOTE

 

1 80,000 won = US$80

AND HERE'S MY FIRST EVER DOOSEOB FIC~!
I was really inspired by my own pet dog, Spencer. We were walking one evening and I asked myself "what if dogs were human?" and I came up with this whole plot. Tell me what you think... and how Junhyung and Hyunseung are involed in all of this ;)

Anyways~~ How will the dog turn human or Why he turns human.. we'll see later on~ Got a bit of explaining to do but not now. Enjoy the beginning!