Wishlist

Safe and Sound

 

Dear Chorong,

 

Do you know when was the first time I met you? You were in your hapkido uniform, yelling at a couple of juniors who were fooling around during practice. Then, you did a sleek back swing that landed just inches away from the face of a boy who making fun of you.

 

I thought you were the scariest girl ever.

 

However, just an hour later, I found you in front of the school gate. I was done with my soccer, and you were done with your hapkido. You were waiting for your dad to pick you up. Seeing you alone, I thought you looked so vulnerable, and it made me feel this urge to protect you.

 

Here’s a secret I’ve never told you before: That was the moment I first fell in love with you.

 

Unlike you, my house was just nearby. I’d arrive home in less than five minutes on foot. But I saw you alone, and somehow I was worried to leave you by yourself. So I stayed until your dad came.

 

I bet you didn’t notice me then.

 

Several weeks later, I finally got the chance to speak to you. I was introduced to you by your best friend’s brother who was my senior in our soccer team. Do you remember how shy we were as we exchanged greetings and smiles over the dinner table at the Yoon residence? I walked you home afterwards, and I continued to do so every day after school.

 

I loved those times we spent together walking. Sometimes we talked about everything, sometimes we talked about nothing. But silence was never awkward between us. With you by my side, everything felt comfortable. It was as if you were a home to me.

 

Chorong, my love,

 

Do you remember our first real date? Since that was my first date ever, I wanted to do all the extravagant things for you. I took a part-time job for weeks so that I could take you to a fancy restaurant and buy you the prettiest clothes. But you refused all that. Instead, you took me to the accessories store near our school and bought us cheap couple rings. The ring you gave me was simple and nothing fancy, but it became one of my most prized possessions.

 

Later, you brought me to a humble stall and ordered your favourite chicken feet before going home. In front of your front door with our lips still smeared with oil, we shared our first kiss. You tasted like your favourite meal, and that was my most favourite memory of you.

 

Chorong, my light, my vulnerable Chorong,

 

Do you remember the first time you collapsed while we were walking home after I picked you up from your workplace? I was so scared, so frightened, that I didn’t know what to do. I was even more afraid when the doctor told me about your heart condition. Do you know how funny you are? How can a hapkido master like you fall sick? How can someone so kind like you have a heart failure?

 

I hate you for being even more fragile than you already were, but you own my heart since the day one I laid my eyes on you, and that was the reason why I sat behind the wheels and stomped on the pedal with all that I’ve got.

 

By the time you read this, I may not be around anymore, but do know I will be by your side eternally.

 

My heart is now officially yours. It’s home. Take care of it.

 

Love always,

Minhyuk