7989

One Year Later

"Why are they chasing you?" Kai asked, looking at Onew. The train departed from the station for 3 hours ago, their way to the train station is smooth and safe, although fear and alertness ruled their hearts. Onew sits beside Jessica while Kai sits in front of Onew on the window side. "I’ll tell you when we get there, by the way I’m lee jin ki but they used to call me Onew" he offered his hand, "I’m Kim Jong In but you can call me Kai." they shake their hands.

"Kai, how are you these days?" Jessica interjected.  "I’m fine, nothing new."

"Oh, is there anyone living in your house aside from you?"

"Yes."

"Who is it? Could it be your girlfriend?" Kai laughed. "I don't have a girlfriend. My best friend is living with me; you'll see him when we get there." Jessica nodded.

 Onew is starring at the window, and he saw the reflection of Jessica sleeping and her head is falling slowly towards his shoulder. "You’ve suffered a lot because of me." he murmured while looking on her reflection. He closed his eyes and sleep.

 It was morning when they arrived at the train station. The cold breeze of air welcomed them as they walk out of the station. "Let’s wait for some taxi shall we?" Kai said, putting his hands on his pocket. Onew and Jessica sat at the bench nearby. She wrapped her arms around her, trying to warm herself.

 "Since they've finally found us, does it mean that we're not going back to school? Go to the city to see them?" Jessica asked, "it's not like that, we will still go there but not in your house. I bet their eyes are on surveillance on it."

"Till when, do you think, all of this will end?"

"Till they found me dead?"

"You’re so harsh"

"Well, that’s the truth."

"Truth? But why are they determined to catch you? Could they just let you live your life?"

"I don't either, auntie said that night, I should run and never appear in my uncle's front"

"And that night was..."

"The night that I became an intruder." they both laughed. "Taxi's here!" Kai shouted, they stood and moved to the taxi. Kai is sat beside the driver while Jessica and Onew seated on the back. Looking tired Jessica managed not to fall asleep again.

 "Kai? Is that you?" a masculine voice greeted from the house. The house looks like that of the joseon era; it’s often called “The Rose Pavilion” because, whenever they pass on the house, they could smell a sweet scent of rose.

 "Yeah! Come out here there is someone I want you to meet." Kai shouts back. The wood door slides slowly and a man in a white shirt and blue checkered pajama came out.

 Kai ran to the guy, he hold his arm and guided him down.

"He’s blind jess." Onew murmured, "Hi, my name is Chanyeol, it's a pleasure to meet you." Chanyeol said, offering his hand. "It’s nice to meet you Chanyeol, I think you and I have many things to talk about Kai." they both chuckled, "wait, you have a companion?"

"Yes, it's nice to meet you Chanyeol, I’m Onew, I’m Jessica’s friend." he holds his hand and shook it. "Ahm, Kai I sensed that they are tired so much, they must have a rest first"

Jessica smiled, turned her head to Onew, "Thanks Chanyeol, you too, you must be tired also you should get some too." Chanyeol smiled "I don't need that, I’m blind not a bedridden person, I can still do things that a normal person does."

"I’m sorry Chanyeol."

"Its okay, most people that I meet says that."

"Come on jess, let's fix your room" Kai said, moving towards the house opposite to the gate, "Ahm, Kai did you kept grandma's clothes? I can use it for the mean time." she asked, guiding Chanyeol "no, I gave it to the nuns who run a small house for the elders and I can't even lend Onew because all of our clothes are on the laundry shop."

"What?"

"Kai, I remember, you said that your grandma's dying wish is to keep your grandparents pair of hanbok right?" Chanyeol interjected "oh yes, jess you could use that for the meantime." Jessica’s eyes widened, "o-okay, is it okay for you?" she turned to Onew. He nodded.

 "Whoa! It fits to you perfectly." Kai praised, "Me and grandma sure have the same body size when she was on her youth. Whoa, it feels like I’m living on the joseon era!" she said, turning around while looking at the long mirror hanged on the wall. "Where is Onew?" she asked, "I’m right here." Onew said blissfully, "does it fit to you?"

"Yeah, when I saw this, I thought it was small but look." he turned around.

"Is this room too small for you? We can transfer here if you want."

"No this is enough Kai; I think we should take a rest now." She smiled, 

"If you need some help just knock on my door huh?" Kai stood and swiftly walked through the door.  

                Jessica helped Onew fix the beddings on the floor. She checked her phone, but no messages or a missed call are registered on the log, “It’s seems that they still don’t know that we aren’t there.” Jessica said sadly, “it’s our first day today; maybe they’ll notice it after many days.” Onew said, “You think? Oh well.” Jessica placed her phone under the pillow, and then she lied.

                “It’s already nine in the evening.” She murmured, looking at her phone. She stood up, trying not to wake up Onew. She tip toed up to the door and carefully slides it.

                She looked up to the sky, “it’s a full moon.” She muttered. She sits on the floor and lean her head on the pillar. “How’s my childhood friend doing now?”  She wondered, and then big, warm hands covered her eyes. “Did I wake you up Onew?” she said,

“How did you know that it was me?”

“I know your scent Onew; would you please remove your hands? It’s too tight and it might squeeze my eyes.”

“As you wish.” He removed his hands and he sat beside her.

“Whoa, it’s a full moon!” he said, “Do you want to take a stroll outside?” Onew offered.

“Really? In this late hour?” Jessica’s eyes widened. “Yes, let’s take this night as an advantage, Look there is no people outside that will ask if you and I are married and besides the moonlight shines brightly.” Jessica laughed, “Alright, let’s go!” she puts her slippers on her feet and stands up.

                “Whoa! This place is really great at night isn’t?” Onew said in wonderment. “Yeah the fireflies make the surroundings more beautiful.” Jessica added.

“What’s that smell?” He sniffs, “smells like grilled beef.” He added, “Wait! What date is today?”

“It’s February 15, why?” Onew said, looking confused. “That’s right! I almost forgot! Today is Grandpa’s birthday.” Jessica said surprisingly,

“Grandpa?”

“Yes, we used to call him grandpa when we were young, and he really loves to eat grilled beef on his birthday.” Jessica said happily. She grab Onew’s arm and drag him down, “Wait jess! Where are we going?”

“To Grandpa’s House! Let’s go! ” she said while dragging Onew.

                The house is surrounded with bright and colorful lanterns, and there is a festive atmosphere around. The house looks like joseon era palace pavilion, and there is a shoulder level wall that surrounds it. “What are you waiting for? Come on in.” he said, pushing Jessica, “I can’t” she turns around

“Why? Are you shy or what?”

“I don’t know if they will recognize me, hello it’s been a long time since I came here.”

“Jessica, Is that you?” a guy approached them. Her eyes widened, she turns around to see the guy.

“Kyungsoo…is that you?”

“Yes! Whoa you’ve grown up noona!” he moves closer and hugs her. “Oh kyungsoo, I really miss you!” she hugged him.

“Is grandpa inside? I want to greet him” she said, “Who is he? Is he your husband?” kyungsoo muttered,

“Ah-” “Jessica!” a woman’s voice said, “Victoria!” She exclaimed, they give each other a tight hug. “Look at you! I’ve never expected that you will visit us, and now you’re married! Wait I’ll call Grandpa!”  Victoria rushed inside. “Noona, let’s go inside.” Kyungsoo pulls Jessica in, leaving Onew standing there still.

Kyungsoo went back “Hyeongnim, Come in too!”  He also pulled Onew inside. Here is Jessica Noona’s Husband!” He introduced to everyone inside. Everybody’s eyes are on him now, and then, after the moment of silence, everybody began clapping and cheering. “Congratulations Jessica, I wish the best for the both of you.” Victoria said and then hugs Jessica. “Jessica! I’ve heard you’re married now!”  A man said, “Grandpa Err-” Onew was surprised when he saw the face of that grandpa. He thought that his face was wrinkled and he walks like an old man does but this grandpa was a young man, like of his age. “Suho-sshi here is her husband.” Victoria pointed him, “Oh, Congratulations man! You’re very luck you have Jessica!” he turns back to Jessica, oh look! You’re so big now noona” he chuckled, “let’s go in shall we?” he lead Jessica and Victoria’s way.

Onew was dragged by some guys to drink with them, “Hey Hyeongnim! By the way I’m Baekhyun, and we’re Jessica-Noona’s friends in this village.” He just smiled, “And this is Tao, Luhan, Sehun and Kris” baekhyun introduced them to him, “Nice to meet you all” He said, “So how’s your day as a Married couple huh?” Sehun asked curiously, “Hey! You know Suho-hyeong really likes Jessica, and I could say you’re very lucky.” Kris said, “You know guys, we’re not married okay.” Onew defends, “What are you saying? You both wear a hanbok and you say you’re not married?” Luhan said, “It’s just a temporary clothes, you know we don’t have an extra clothes when we got here and this is the only available clothes on Kai’s house.” Onew said, everybody is exchanging stares, “You mean you’re not really married?” Tao asked, “Yes.” He answered.

                “Alright then, it doesn’t matter if you’re married or not, let’s just celebrate that we have a new friend here!” Baekhyun lifted up the mood, “Yes, he’s right! Cheers for our new friend.” They raised their glasses.

Everybody was happy and celebrating Suho’s birthday. Suddenly they started playing the drums, the violins and the tambourines, creating the atmosphere more festive and alive. They all went in the middle and dance into the rhythm.

Jessica suddenly came, and joined the people dancing. “Onew!”  She staggered towards him. “You’re drunk.” He said, “Onew! Let’s dance okay?” she pulls him, “No, Jess let’s go home now.” He carries Jessica on his back, and quietly leaves the place.

“Onew!” Jessica said, “What is it?”

“What should I do?” she asked, “In what?”

“Grandpa confessed that he likes me, and he wants me to be his wife.”

“Then?”

“How will I say to him that, I can’t.” she said, “Why? I think he’s the perfect man for you.” He said,

“You know, I wish that misunderstandings happened there on grandpa’s house earlier was true.” She falls asleep.

“You don’t know what you’re saying Jessica, I Love you, but I’m not the right guy for you” He muttered, the tears started to fall.