A New Challenge.

Follow Your Seoul.

Ha Hyo's POV:

I lived with a strict family in Hong Kong, and I swear that I was kept in a cage almost 24/7. My Korean mother and Chinese father; I, Hwang Ha Hyo being the hybrid of those two, would always be forbidden to leave the house. I was homeschooled and the only time I was happy was when I got into my two escapes in life, my music and my video games. My ignorant parents didn’t care about my happiness; all they wanted from me was to marry a rich man so they can snag the money for later on.  This one event proved their greediness; my mother arranged a marriage for me when I was still 14, with a rich guy that I almost thought was about 3 times older than me.

In about the same time, my intelligent demeanor finally made itself useful, I received in the mail, a scholarship to Shinhwa High, a prestigious private school for the rich, and it was in South Korea.  I kept the scholarship letter under my pillow of course, because I’m pretty sure my parents would rip it to shreds if they figured out I want to study overseas, but that wasn’t the only reason. I wanted to become an idol, an entertainer, to sing and dance to make people happy, because when I see the smile on peoples’ faces, it makes me feel like a better person.

At that time, when my parents were at a business trip, I decided to take the chance and run away. I had a friend in South Korea, whom I talked to online; her name is Ri Hyo, we arranged my transport from Hong Kong to Seoul, and it actually went as planned. I didn’t think about how my parents will react when they find out that I’m missing, I only thought my freedom, my dream, and my new life.

Now we’re back to present time, sort of. it's been just about a week since the time I've stepped onto the beautiful city on Seoul. As for now, I'm staying at a five-star hotel for at least about two weeks, as Ri Hyo had promised and suprisingly, I still haven't been able to meet with Ri Hyo in person since then and I still have no idea how or what she looks like. At the time that I got here, she sent my a note and apologized because she had been busy with family businesses. I frowned at the small thought of not being able to see her and thank her for the help that she has provided me with.

' Hopefully we meet soon.. '  I thought silently to myself.

Anyway, today I will be starting my first day of school here in Seoul! I stepped into the grounds of Shinhwa High School. As I stare at what is around me, I thought deeply to myself. I’ve never seen such an elegant and serene setting in my life. After being hypnotized by everything around here, I decide to go into the actual building to find out my classes and where everything was. Suddenly, something catches my eye when I walk down the hallways. I hear rumors about the famous “F4”, apparently they are 4 attractive looking boys in the school, and they rule the entire campus. Of course, that was impossible for me, because I was technically still poor; I bet they would want to spit on my shoes or something.

As soon as the school bells rang, I hurriedly rushed towards the gates when I suddenly heard the stunning sound of a violin coming from the auditorium. Curious, I decided to go and check it out to see what it is. I poke my head from out the door, gasping silently when I see what I thought, is a prince.  He almost seemed like an angel from the heaven above, his suit was white, and his hair was a light shade of brown-orange. For the first time, I feel the emotion called love.

That’s when I realize at that very moment, he stops playing, he sighs to himself as he put his violin back in it’s case. Before he can turn back again, I close the door to make sure he doesn’t see me. I’ve never felt this way for a person before, not ever.  

I wonder.. who could he be?

The next morning I rose quickly from my bed and got dressed. I quickly headed towards the elevator and raced through the crowd. I quickly catched a cab and was dropped a block away from the school. Ri Hyo told me that it was most definitely dangerous for my image to be seen riding a cab to Shinhwa High, it'd just make me look pathetic.

Along with many other students, I rushed through the huge gates of Shinhwa. I glanced at my watch, we had exactly 5 minutes left until class starts. What to do..? Should I just stall time and walk around the school again just like yesterday? Or.. maybe I should stop by my locker?

But what if that nosy red card appears? I'd be the main target of the school and that wouldn't be good.

I should go and stall.

As I moved my foot over to start walking once again, my ears perked upwards at the sudden shrill shriek of someone calling out what sounded like, " F4! Baek Yongjun has the card! " Heads e by one like some sort of wave and looked towards the area where the voice was being heard from. Right then, people rushed from their lockers, the halls, and bathrooms and headed outside. Following the crowd, I too went outside and found myself right in front of a saddening sight. There in front of me was a male student, right around my rank, standing still and frozen while the rest of the student body threw eggs and other sorts of food at him. From what I had heard clearly, they called him terrible things and terrible names. They for being poor and for being a commoner. Not only that, but they mocked him just because he was lucky enough to even grab a scholarship from his middle school to attend this school. It wasn't fair.

As the crowd continued to bully the poor boy, my body became tense. I felt frightened and even tried to imagine myself being in that boy's position right now. With such a strong student body like Shinhwa's, I just don't think that I'd be able to handle it.

I glanced at Baek Yongjun, his glasses smeared with egg yolks and his messy uniform. The student body began to make room when someone called out that the mighty F4 was making it's way through the school and not too long, they finally arrived. I glanced at the four lovely flower boys making their way through the school and I could not believe what was before my eyes. One of the F4 members was the guy that I saw playing the violin beautifully the other day. They walked straight towards Yongjun and eyed him, carefully observing his figure. The main leader, Geum Jun Pyo I believe is his name, did nothing to help him at all other than smirk. The same thing happened for the rest of the guys including that fine violinist. Because of the way he acted towards Yongjun, I slowly began to lose respect for him. No one should be treated like this, rich or poor, there isn't a reason for them to be treated this way!

Before I could do anything else to stop them, the school bell rang and everyone began to flood into their classes. As everyone did so, I just stood there in silence deep in my thoughts, not even realizing that I myself was standing face to face with the four boys. The members snickered and waved a hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my thoughts and glanced at them. Jun Pyo and the other guy with curly brown hair, Woobin, I think walked ahead of the violinist and the guy with sleek black hair. The guy with sleek black hair laughed at my face, " You must be new, it's time for you to head to class. You don't want to be late newbie. " He walked off as he shoved his hands into his pockets. The violinist looked at me and smirked, strangely making my heart flutter and pop.

They both walked away and I was left alone in the hall.

I sighed to myself, " This was going to be much harder than I thought it would be. "


I walked into my class and stood by my new teacher. All eyes were on me and never looked away. The teacher cleared , " Good Morning class, we have a new person joining us today. Please introduce yourself. " She asked as her eyes reverted towards me. I nodded shyly and cleared my throat. " Annyonghaseyo. " I bowed. " Jeonun, Hwang Ha Hyo imnida. I'm a new transfer student from Hong Kong. I wish to work with all of you guys and I hope that you all treat me well. " I bowed again. The teacher smiled at me and directed me to my seat, " Ha Hyo-sshi, you'll be seated in the back by the window right next to Kim Jaehwan. " she pointed.

I bowed towards my teacher, " Kamsahamnida. " I walked through the rows of desks and felt each and everyone's eyes follow me. As I walked, I heard faint murmurs about me as well: some good, some bad but it didn't really matter at the moment. At least I know what they think of me as their first impressions.

I sat myself down next to the sleepy looking student, Kim Jaehwan. I glanced at him, " Hi. " I squeaked. He glanced at me and waved before sitting straight. " I'm Jaehwan. " he introduced himself. I gave him a nod, " I'm Ha Hyo, nice to meet you. "

" Nice meeting you too Ha Hyo. " he then placed his head back down on the surface of his desk and closed his eyes. " Do me a favor and wake me up when Seongsaengnim walks by please? " he pleaded sleepily. A small laugh escaped my lips from his cute actions. I nodded and turned my head towards the board.

During lunch, a bunch of students crowded around my table and kept asking me really weird questions. Sometimes these questions went beyond personal and extreme put together! There was just no way out of their scandalous questions, they're really willing to squeeze that answer out from your mouth.

" So , Ha Hyo-sshi. You're a transfer from Hong Kong? How was life back there? " a random guy asked.

I shrugged, " It was alright, but it wasn't too good. Things sort of turned boring after a while and I felt the need to move. "

" Oh! So.. how did you get here? " another student asked.

I gulped, it's the million dollar question that either gives me life or death in this school. " Parents, they own a huge business back at home. " I laughed nervously, " That's how I got here. "

" Oh so who are you staying with? Are you alone? Maybe we could kick it and throw a house party. " A boy said causing the group to laugh and support his suggestion. I glanced around and puffed my cheeks out, " I uh, I'm staying alone actually. Unfortunately I can't throw a house party at the moment since my crib's getting a bit tweaked up and renovated. Maybe in a couple weeks though, we could all kick it! "

" Alright! You called it Ha Hyo. Party at Ha Hyo's crib once she gets her sweet suite renovated and pimped out! " the boy said, getting cheers from the crowd. I smiled faintly at them and excused myself from the table. " I have to go and head to the bathroom.. " Quickly, I rushed to the bathroom and from rushing too much I accidentally bumped into someone. Thankfully the girl didn't fall but she did lean back a little. I bowed multiple times, " I'm sorry! So sorr- " 

Before I could even look up and apologize directly to her, she walked around me and executed the halls. I paused and watched her petite, slender figure walk away by herself back into the cafeteria. I scratched my head in confusion, " What's with her? "

After school, Kim Jaehwan managed to catch up with me and he was surprisingly not in his sleepy state. In fact he was fully energized, it was as if he had the energizer bunny inside of him. " Ha Hyo-ah. Are you free after school today? "

" Ah~ actually , I have things to do today.. I'm sorry. " I apologized.

" Oh is that so? " Jaehwan pouted, " Aw. I was hoping to go ahead and give you a late-tour around the place. "

" It's fine. Thanks anyways! " I told and waved off. " We can chill tomorrow! "

Jaehwan waved back, " I'll be counting on that! Annyeong! "

I left the Shinhwa campus and ran one block to the same area where I would be dropped off by the cab I called. I hopped into another cab and sat down in the seat. " Where to? " the driver asked.  I pulled out a small piece of paper from my uniform jacket and showed it to him. He nodded his head and drove away to my destination. I watched the city fly by us as we drove. Who would of ever known that Seoul would be such a beautiful city, filled with so many expectations and challenges?