Desolation

Desolation

It was late at night when Seungyeon heard her mobile go off; her hand roamed around her bed looking for the said device. As her hand touched the device, she opened her eyes to look at it.

1 New Message

From: Eunhyuk oppa

She pressed the button to open the message.

“Hams, we’ve been deployed to cover the ongoing war in the Middle East. We’re leaving later in the afternoon. Sorry if you have to wake up to this–I hope you’re ready.”

Seungyeon’s heart started to beat wildly; she was about to go into a warzone. It had been a personal goal for her as a journalist to go into a warzone and report directly from there; she thought that it would be very thrilling and interesting for a female journalist to be able to do something so odd–something so manly. She didn’t give much thought of the high possibility of coming back in a coffin (“everyone dies, anyways.”)

But now that she was given the authority to go into the death zone, she wasn’t so sure anymore. She doubted herself; will she be able to cope with the situation there? Will she be strong enough–mentally and physically to face the chaos and instability of the wars?

She sighed and sat up; it was impossible to fall back asleep now that she found out that she was closer into achieving her goal. The excitement of achieving her ultimate goal and fearing that she might not come back normal or worse–in a coffin.

However, she eventually smiled.

‘If I can pass through all this time with my unrequited love for Kyu, then surely I can pass through all the bombs and shootings, right?’

Seungyeon then proceeded to packing her necessities for her trip that would last for God knows how long.


It was a warm afternoon; Kyuhyun and Seungyeon were walking together to the park after they had done their assignments together in Seungyeon’s house.

“Ah, it’s such a nice day today,” Seungyeon mumbled, looking up at the sky, embracing the warmth.

“It is, eh?” Kyuhyun replied, looking at his best friend. They continued to walk in a comfortable silence, just enjoying their surrounding.

“Your sister grew up so much,” Kyuhyun blurted out, looking down at the pavement. At this remark, Seungyeon laughed.

“Yeah, yeah she did. She’s got awesome genes in her that my parents didn’t pass to me,” she laughed; her younger sister Jiyoung had just entered high school that year and grew up to be a tall and beautiful girl. Many of her seniors envied her beauty and she would be bullied due to it sometimes.

“Why Kyu,” Seungyeon continued, “you starting to fall in love with her?” she and in return, Kyuhyun’s eyes grew wide,

“What are you even talking about, aish…” Kyuhyun shook his head at her, messing up her hair while doing so. “God, you’re so short!” he back, returning the favour.

“HEY! You’re the one who’s too tall, I’m normal!” Seungyeon retorted, she started to hit his arm and he ran away as he laughed at her small form trying to chase him.

Little did they know that this was the start of everything…


The hot weather accompanied the blaring sound of air missiles and machine guns around the area, and it had only been a week since Seungyeon arrived in the country but she was already used to the entire riot in the area. It was tough, especially when she would have to witness people get shot or shoot others, and dead people were sometimes scattered on the streets.

Today she was to report from the city square, where it was expected that people were to crowd and have a rally. She was cautious because she knew that the chance of her standing among a radical crowd was high and obviously there would be some guards that might also turn radical.

As she walked towards the square, her mind drifted off to Kyuhyun and her sister. Were they enjoying their honeymoon? Were they doing well? Was she going to come home to a pregnant sister? She smiled, “I wonder how they’re gonna react if they know I’m here…”

Her sister and Kyuhyun didn’t know that she had been deployed into a warzone and she had begged her parents not to tell them (“in case they come home with a surprise, I also have a surprise for them.”)

“Thinking about him again, huh?” she was startled out of her thoughts and turned her head towards the voice and smiled,


“I like Jiyoung, Seungyeon-ah. Will you give me the permission to date her?”

The question was still fresh on her mind; she was surprised–beyond surprised, actually. She was shocked.Kyuhyun and her sister got closer, ever since Seungyeon and him would do their assignments together in her house; he was always the one that told her to do their assignments together in her house and she always shrugged it off, thinking it was normal (maybe he was embarrassed of his messy room) but now it all made sense.

The both of them had told each other that they had something important to announce. Seungyeon was about to confess to him, but she insisted that he went first because he looked so giddy, and now, Seungyeon stood there, frozen to the spot with a broken heart.

She had tried to act cool about it, but in fact her heart broke the moment he asked her permission to date Jiyoung.

“Maybe he thought of me as a guy friend all this time,” Seungyeon thought. She thought that at least they stood a chance of being together; at least they could try and work everything out as a couple and from there, they would know whether they are meant for long-term or not.

But he never gave her that chance; he gave that chance to someone else.

He gave that chance to her sister.

And Seungyeon gave him that crucial permission to date her younger sister.

“I knew you’d been eyeing her for some time…don’t think I’m gonna go easy on you,” that was the exact sentence she had told him.

They say, there’s a time for everything, but when the time passes, then maybe it’s not meant to be. Maybe, Seungyeon thought, maybe her feeling was one of those things that is not supposed to be unveiled; one of the things that is not meant to be.


“You know me too well,”

“Hey–we’re practically siblings,” Hyukjae retorted as he ruffled her hair. “I’m surprised you’re not even trying to deny it this time,”

Seungyeon chuckled, “why is my honesty so surprising to you?”

Hyukjae laughed and Seungyeon laughed along with him. “I’m surprised that they actually let you come here,” Hyukjae remarked as he slung his arm around her shoulder.

“Who? My parents? They know it’s my duty and duty calls so,” Seungyeon shrugged her shoulders, expecting him to understand the rest.

“No, I meant Kyu and Jiyoung…didn’t they rage at you when you told them?”

“Oh no, they don’t know I’m here,” Seungyeon shrugged again, as if it was nothing.

Hyukjae was taken aback at Seungyeon’s reply, “What?! Why didn’t you tell them?!”

At this, Seungyeon sighed. “Oppa, do you really expect me to tell them I’m going into a warzone when they’re on a honeymoon? Especially after they had to delay their honeymoon due to their work schedules,”

“But they’re your family! They deserve to know!”

“But they’re newlyweds, they deserve to relax and have some y time!!” Seungyeon rolled her eyes at him, “I don’t know how Gyuri stands you, really I don’t,” she shook her head disapprovingly at Hyukjae,

“HEY! She’s my wife, she must’ve known the risk of marrying me,” Hyukjae shrugged.

The atmosphere was light and fun, despite the two of them being in a place with a very opposing reality. The two of them had been friends since Gyuri, Seungyeon’s other best friend started to date Hyukjae in High School and at the time, Hyukjae was a university student. They got along really well, despite the occasional arguments, but other than that, Hyukjae and Seungyeon were practically siblings.


“I can’t believe this–I thought things like this only happen in movies, but look at you–my best friend who let go of the guy she loves,” That was Gyuri’s remark after hearing what Seungyeon had told her about Kyuhyun and Jiyoung’s wedding plan.

After several years of dating, the two lovebirds decided to get married and Seungyeon was rather surprised to find out that her sister was already an engaged woman when she came back from the States after a month of training. And here she was, tears running down her face in Gyuri’s house.

“At least he’s happy,” Seungyeon argued with a soft voice, she knew that Gyuri would be poking fun at her reason.

And as expected, Gyuri scoffed at it, before she spoke (more like screamed) again, “You have the most invalid reasons ever–I don’t know why I’m friends with you,” she rolled her eyes at Seungyeon and sat next to her. “What will you do if they get married, huh? Sulk and sob like this again?” Gyuri questioned her, with a soft tone, rather than an angry one.

“Don’t torture yourself like this, Seungyeon-ah,”

“I’m not, I’m just doing what is best for him; I’m doing my job as a supportive best friend.” Seungyeon retorted, refusing to go down with the fact that she was, indeed, torturing herself.

Gyuri sighed, “If you say so,”


“Do you miss him?” Hyukjae asked, looking at Seungyeon.

“I miss them,” Seungyeon replied, not bothering with the fact that she didn’t answer his question.

“I asked whether you miss him, not them…” there was a pause before Seungyeon gave her answer,

“No, not really,”

“Don’t lie, Seungyeon-ah,”


"Kyuhyun-ah, I need to talk to you," Seungyeon called out to him one day, her heart was beating really fast; perhaps it was because of the question she was about to ask him.

Kyuhyun looked up at his best friend, a slightly confused look on his face. "Yeah, go ahead Hams,"

She really needed to do this; for all of them. She needed a closure for herself, and an assurance for her sister and it needed to come out from him directly. Seungyeon took a deep breath,

"Are you sure you're making the right decision? There's no backing out," she finally stated, biting her lip.

Kyuhyun was a bit confused now. Why is she asking me this?? But Seungyeon seemed to have read his mind as she continued,

"Hey…you're marrying my little sister, I only want the best for her and that's why I'm asking you…" I don't want her to feel what I feel now; I want her to be happy.

At this, Kyuhyun flashed a smile. "Of course I'm sure about marrying your sister…I assure you I will take care of her and love her for the rest of my life…" He said as he ruffled her hair. Seungyeon smiled at his response.

"I'm glad to hear that…you know what will happen right if you hurt her?" she questioned him as she held his hand that was ruffling her hair so he would stop.

"Yes, ma'am. I do know the consequences shall I break my promise," Kyuhyun chuckled as he removed his hand from her head.

Seungyeon smiled at him. "Okay, that's good. Now if you would excuse me, I have to and attend other important matters…" she stuck her tongue out at him as she walked away. He smiled at her retreating figure.

Little did he know that it would be one of the last moments they would spend together…

Seungyeon sighed as she finally arrived in her room. She closed the door and almost immediately slid down the door with tears rolling down her cheeks. She finally got the answer that she had been preparing herself for all this time; she finally acquired the closure that she needed so much. She had prepared for his answer but as much as she prepared, she was still experiencing the excruciating heartache.

She smiled a bitter smile as she looked at her bedside table. There was a framed picture of her and Kyuhyun–back when they were still in high school; back when they were still students and not a journalist and an architect. She grabbed the frame and traced the faces.

"We grew up so much," she whispered. "You grew up so much…you're even getting married before me!" she chuckled at her own remark. She hugged the frame tightly as more tears poured down her face.

‘Please don't let my sister feel what I'm feeling now…please take care of her,’


It was already the wedding day. Seungyeon was busy assisting her sister, as she was the Maid of Honour for the ceremony. She was helping Jiyoung with her dress as she smiled at her younger sister. She couldn't believe that her younger sister was getting married before her.

Seungyeon stood up after she made sure that the train of Jiyoung's dress was perfect. She helped Jiyoung zip up the dress and as she finished, she turned to look at her younger sister.

"My baby sister is all grown up," she muttered and flashed a smile. Jiyoung returned the smile and hugged her,

“I will still be your baby sister, though…you know that, right?” Jiyoung whispered, tears started to form in her eyes. Seungyeon pulled back from the hug,

“Of course!! Now, don’t cry or your pretty make up will be ruined and we don’t want that,” she laughed. Jiyoung wiped her tears off as she gave her older sister a pearly smile, still being careful with her makeup.

“Unnie…”

“Yes?”

“Thank you so much for everything–thank you for helping me out, especially during these past few weeks that concerned the wedding; I don’t know what I would do without you…” Jiyoung thanked her sister, her smile never faltered from her angelic face.

“You don’t have to thank me; it’s my duty as Maid of Honour and your sister anyways,” Seungyeon winked at her and they both laughed. “Now hurry, we don’t want you to have a crazy husband at the end, nor do I want a brother-in-law that has occasional nervous breakdowns,”

“Unnie!”


“I’m not…” Seungyeon looked up at him, “I guess I’ve prepared myself well, huh…or maybe the fact that we’re here now composes most of my mind,” she shrugged.

Unknowingly, they have reached the city square. It was full of people and they were chanting really loudly. Seungyeon could feel that the tension would rise anytime and she could tell that blood, sweat and tears were to be shed.

“Seungyeon, stay close, okay? Don’t get too far from me,” Hyukjae told her with a stern tone as he saw the situation of the square. “Please listen this time, okay?”

Seungyeon could feel the seriousness in his voice and she too, knew the risk they were at. She nodded her head and started to roam around the crowd, her eyes scanning the crowd, looking for possible materials that she could write about. Occasionally, she would turn her head back, making sure that she wasn’t too far away from Hyukjae.

However, it all happened too fast. Seungyeon was making her way towards an area where there were people with the loudest chants, with hope of interviewing them when the guards opened fire at the protesters. She saw some people fell down as they got shot and she, along with other protesters ran from the scene, trying to flee the area.

Seungyeon could hear the gunshots–it was too loud for her liking and somehow she felt it was too close. Her eyes scanned the crowd for Hyukjae, but she couldn’t see him anywhere.

She ran as fast as she could, but she fell down to her knees. Seungyeon couldn’t understand why; even though she might not be athletic, she had never been so tired that she fell down as she ran. She got back up to her feet and ran again but she quickly stopped when she felt a stabbing pain on her hip. She looked down at it and her eyes widened at the sight. She found that her shirt was partly drenched in blood–and this could only mean one thing.

She had been shot. Han Seungyeon had been shot.

She looked around as she screamed for help; but she knew that the chance of getting help was slim. Her legs were getting weaker now and she was praying that she wouldn’t fall down as she kept on screaming for help; and just in time, someone scooped her body and carried her. It was Hyukjae.

“Seungyeon, can you hear me?” He asked her, as he ran while carrying her body, screaming for help.

“Yes,”

“Okay, now I need you to stay awake until we reach the closest foreign aid base, okay? Stay with me,”

Hyukjae screamed so much that Seungyeon would totally make fun of him when she feels better, she didn’t know that Hyukjae had this side to him; she always thought of him as a stupid monkey that married a gorgeous goddess.

“I NEED HELP!!!! WE’RE KOREANS, MY FRIEND IS SHOT!! HELP!!!!” Hyukjae screamed his lungs out, pleading for help with his limited English. He looked around for peacekeepers and foreign aid, but he couldn’t see any. He ran some more and he could finally see some peacekeepers with their neon coloured outfit. He immediately picked up his speed and ran faster towards the peacekeeper, still screaming for help. The peacekeepers turned their heads toward him and ran immediately as they saw a body soaked with blood being carried,

“Help please, we’re Koreans, my friend is shot,” Hyukjae managed to choke out as he handed Seungyeon’s body to the peacekeepers, who immediately took over and placed her in their car. Hyukjae sat next to Seungyeon who was laid down on the seat, as they headed to the hospital. However, by this time Seungyeon was almost pale and her temperature was starting to drop.

She could feel her vision starting to get blurry, but she tried her hardest to stay awake, even though sleep sounded so tempting at the time. They say your life flashes right before your eyes at this moment, and she now knew that it was true…

Her first encounter with Kyuhyun,

Her excitement, when she heard that she was going to be a big sister,

Her cries, when she fell off her bicycle,

Her fluttering heart, when she had her first crush,

Her bright smile when she won first place in a writing competition,

Her fast-beating heart, when she realized that she was in love with Kyuhyun

Her laugh, whenever Kyuhyun would make jokes,

Her giggles, along with Gyuri when they are having sleepovers,

Her tears, when she graduated university with Honours,

Her joy, when she found out she had been accepted into her targeted working place as a journalist,

Her delight, when her parents told her that she had done them proud,

Her scream of joy, when she found out Gyuri and Hyukjae were getting married,

And eventually her heartbreak, when she found out that Kyuhyun chose her younger sister instead of her.

“Seungyeon, talk to me,” Hyukjae pleaded, she could see panic in his face. She smiled,

“What do you wanna talk about?” she managed to whisper out,

“Anything, just talk to me, Seungyeon-ah,”

“Okay…” Pause. “Oppa, I’m sorry I didn’t stay close, I got carried away,” Seungyeon choked out, she couldn’t feel the pain anymore at all but her eyes were starting to get really heavy,

“Shh, don’t talk about that right now,” Hyukjae told her, “Seungyeon, you know everyone loves you right? So don’t give up, I know you want to sleep but not now,” She could see Hyukjae’s tears sliding down his cheeks and she chuckled,

“I know, but I’m so tired though…I really need this sleep…Oppa if I fall asleep, tell everyone I love them, okay?” she muttered out and by now, her eyes would sometime completely close before opening and Hyukjae knew that she wouldn’t make it.

“Oppa, you and Gyuri be happy, okay? Make beautiful babies…tell Kyu and Jiyoung that, too!” Hyukjae was taken aback at how she still tried to be cheerful despite her condition,

“Don’t say that now, Seungyeon-ah,”

“But oppa, we both know that I’ll fall asleep, so promise me you’ll tell them and do so, okay?”

Hyukjae sighed. “Okay,”

“I love you, Hyukjae oppa. I love you and Gyuri,” Seungyeon declared, and he could hear her breathing was getting uneven,

“We love you too, Hams…” Hyukjae openly sobbed now; he didn’t care anymore. He was losing a dear friend and it was happening right in front of his eyes.

“Tell my family I love them, okay? Kyuhyun doesn’t have to know about my love love for him,” she laughed softly. “Oppa, I think I’m gonna sleep now, I’m so tired…good night,”

And with those last words, Han Seungyeon fell asleep…

forever.


A/N: I was thinking of making this a little bit longer but I don't think I'd have the time to update it regularly..sighs. Anyways, thank you for reading and subscribing! I hope you enjoyed the story! :)