CHAPTER 2

WHEN FATE DICTATES


 

 



“Who are you?” Seung Jun asked at the intruder.

 

 


“My, my . . . How forgetful of you? Didn’t you remember we used to play together with your twin brother?”
 

 



“Twin brother? What nonsense are you talking about?”
 

 



“You’re as handsome as he was . . .” She said sadly.
 

 



“Ah, I see . . . You’re ‘other’ true self is sleeping inside of you . . .” The intruder moved in a flash and was now standing too close in front of him, and was a couple of inches away from his ear.
 

 



“Let me wake you up, Seung Jun . . .” She whispered that brought chills down his spine. He was about to grab her when she lounged her protruding fangs on his neck.
 

 

…………………………………………………………………

 

 


“You know there’s no hope between our kind and the humans. It has always been and it will always will!” I shouted at him. My dear twin brother, Seung Hyun, has fallen in love with a human. And that’s unacceptable.

 

 


“The humans have despised our kind, Hyung. They won’t let us coexist with them. She will only cause your death!” I grabbed his arm as he was about to leave. And probably go to ‘her’.

 

 


…………………………………….

 

 


Seung Jun woke up and found himself lying on his bed. He remembered everything vividly now. He had put the vampire in him into sleep, a spell that almost took his life.

 

 


History is now repeating itself right before is very eyes and he didn’t even saw it coming.
 

 



You definitely are the spitting image of ‘her’ . . . Even have the same name . . . Is this what you called love, Hyung? But why is it tearing me apart? Knowing our kind  . . . she’s human . . .
 



Hyung, I’ve fallen really hard . . .

 

 


Tonight is Dara’s sixteenth birthday celebration . . . Just like that night when his brother left and never returned, it was also ‘Dara’s’ birthday . . .


………………………………………


 

 


The party had begun two hours ago, and yet she still hasn’t seen even his shadow. It’s getting darker and darker.

 

 


What’s taking him so long?

 

 


“Enjoying your party, I suppose?” She smiled at Donghae. He also belonged to the country’s noble families. Even though it was lively around her, she felt she wanted more, and she wanted Seung Jun now.

 

 


Trying to avoid Donghae who was now literally hovering beside her, she took a silver fork and gently tapped it against her wine glass catching everyone’s attention.
 

 



“Since this is the last day that I’ll be called ‘CHILD’ by Mama –“Everyone laughed at her and she continued. “I’m inviting everyone to play ‘Hide-and-Seek’ with me in the labyrinth.”

 

 


The young ones put down their wine glasses on the table near them and began running their way towards the labyrinth giggling.

 

 


She turned to look at her parents and gave her a nod.

 

 


She ran here and there, trying to avoid anyone on her way. Once she was alone, she slowed her pace and thought about Seung Jun. She aimlessly walked around inside the labyrinth.

 

 


It’s been a while and Dara couldn’t find anyone, and the night gets colder and colder. She started to walk towards where she’s been, but the more she was lost.

 

 


She felt nervous but comforted herself.

 

 


Papa will surely find me if he notices I’ve been out too long. Seung Jun, where are you?
 

 



“Missed me, my fair maiden?” she couldn’t mistake that voice and she happily turned around and saw him right before her eyes. She instantly run towards him and embrace him tight.
 

 



“What took you so long?” Dara reached for his face with both of her hands and felt something was wrong.

 

 


“You’re cold. Are you alright?” She asked worriedly but no answer came out from him.

 

 

 


“I wanted to see you . . . “ He also reached down to her and gathered her in his arms. Dara playfully slapped his shoulder.

 

 

 


“Then why didn’t you come quickly?” She leaned closer to him.
 

 

 



“You’re really cold. Let’s go to my room, I’ll get you something to warm you . . . ” Dara held his hand and started to walk but stopped when she realized she didn’t know where to go and that she was lost.

 

 


“That’s rather a sweet yet dangerous offer, my lady . . . ” Seung Jun silently growled.
 

 



Dara blushed as the idea slowly sank in her head. “I wasn’t thinking of anything else . . . only a cloak . . . Yes! I was thinking of a cloak to keep you warm!”
 

 



What was he thinking . . . ? Now I’m thinking of weird things!

 

 


Seung Hyun held her hand and silently walked them out of the labyrinth. They sneaked their way into the mansion so that no one would see them. She was sweating hard as endless rants from her mother trained her thoughts.

 

 

 


A young lady letting a man inside her room? Preposterously absurd!

 

 

 


Dara immediately closed the door behind her as they went inside. She quickly rummaged her cabinet and looked for her oversized cloak. She immediately stood up after finding it and walks towards Seung Jun.

 

 

 


She flipped it over his shoulder and when she was about to secure the cloak around his neck that was when she realized how close her face was to him.
 

 

 



Without warning, Seung Jun claimed her lips and she closed her eyes and emotions ran wildly inside her. She let her hold on the cloak slip and let it fall on the floor. She was lost in the kiss they are sharing and she holds tightly on his shoulders for support not wanting to part and end this.

 

 

 


She groaned inside his mouth as his tongue intruded in . Deep within her she felt this has happened before.

 

 

 


She was intoxicated by his kisses . . . They were like the most expensive wine, aged for far too long . . .

 

 

 


Seung Jun reached for her back and slowly pressed her body against his . . . They were perfectly snuggle like jigsaw puzzle pieces . . .
 

 

 



Dara’s hand moved towards his nape and caressed it which caused him to groan inside .
 

 

 



She felt herself burning . . . Why is it that it was what she has been desperately wanting . . . ? His cold skin only fueled the burning sensation in her . . .
 

 

 



Just when they about to lose themselves, her window suddenly opened and bats flew in and formed into a woman dressed in pure black.

 

 

 


“Who are you?” Dara found her voice but she inched back and held on Seung Jun when she saw the woman’s eyes were red.

 

 


Bats . . . Red eyes . . . They can’t be real!
 

 

 



It can’t be! I saw them once before . . . What’s with all these blurry memory?!
 

 

 



“What are you doing here . . . Hyori?” Dara stared at Seung Jun. They know each other?

 

 

 


“Oh my . . . What a delicious meal you have here . . . Do you mind sharing her?” The woman’s voice sounded sarcastic and eyed Dara dangerously.
 

 

 



“I am not sharing what’s mine.” Seung Jun calmly said but danger was audible in his voice.
 

 

 



“I wonder if she knew what we are . . . “ Hyori reached for lips and playfully bit it, revealing her sharp protruding teeth.

 

 

 


“What is she talking about, Seung Jun?”Dara stepped backwards away from both of them but her feet were caught on the bed and she slumped down on it.
 

 

 


“Ah, yes . . . Our kind was long wiped out by humans . . . How long has it been . . . ? Can’t you say the word to her, Seung Jun?” She moved closer to him and caressed his shoulder.

 

 


“She isn’t involve . . . Leave now, Hyori . . .” But before he could grab a hold of her, in a split second she stood besides the sitting Dara and held her neck with one hand. She pulled her to stand up, and stand up she did.

 

 


“Don’t touch her.” Seung Jun gritted his teeth as he silently watches over them.
 

 



“She killed him! She killed Seung Hyun!” Hyori shouted as rage clouded her mind. Just seeing her face, that same face sparks the sleeping hate inside of her. Her grasps on her tiny neck gets tighter.
 

 



In a blink of an eye, Seung Jun grabbed her arm and easily crashed it with just one hand.
 

 



“You fool!” Hyori backed away and let her go. But before Seung Jun could touch Dara, Hyori grabbed the letter knife on Dara’s table and ran towards her and skillfully slides a knife on Dara’s neck cutting her flesh but not deep enough to kill her on the spot so as not to ruin her spoils.

 

 


Hyori dropped the knife and inhaled the delicious scent of Dara’s blood gushing out from her neck.

 

 


As the monster inside of her has taken over her consciousness, she grabbed Dara by the neck and tried to plunge her fangs on her.
 

 


But before her fangs could even touch Dara’s skin, Seung Jun grabbed her head and without thought twisted it and tore her head from her body.
 

 



Hyori instantly turned to dust in front of Dara who was now holding her neck to prevent any blood from gushing out but to no avail.

 

 


Dara looked at him and saw his eyes were now a shade of dangerous red. Seung Jun immediately covered his face with one hand as if preventing the monster from taking over. Dara’s blood was so enticing that he finds it hard to control his hunger.

 

 


“Run, Dara! Get away from me!” Pain was bearable in his voice. He grabbed a hold of his body as his thirst begins to take over his consciousness.
 

 



Dara stood frozen as the scene in her eyes were the same on her recurring dreams.
 

 



She was now crying helplessly watching Seung Jun battling his self. She couldn’t run. Her feet won’t move.
 

 



She watches as he breaks a table and took out one of its feet and breaks it into two. He took the pointed one and knelt on the floor as he shakily holds the wood. Somehow, Dara knew what was to happen.

 

 


She’d seen it. It’s so strange, but she has seen it before.

 

 


She wouldn’t want that pain again. The unbearable pain of losing someone. Knowing what was to happen she desperately ran towards him before he could even plunge the wood into his chest.

 

 


She grabbed the wood and throw it away and without any second thoughts grab Seung Jun and led him to her neck. She kneeled together with him on the floor.

 

 


Seung Jun who’s consciousness has been taken over by the monster in him, drew his fangs deep into her neck.

 

 


Dara endured the pain.
 

 



Somewhere inside of her tells her that it’s the right thing to do. She can hold him once again. Dara smiled as she heard every gulp Seung Jun made from drinking her blood. She slowly raised her hand and caressed the back of his head while looking at the moon that watches over them. It was pure bliss.

 

 


But soon after the vampire’s venom started its way into her blood stream. She held onto Seung Jun as she started to feel the cold pain building inside of her. It was like bathing in winter. She bit her lips preventing herself from crying because of the pain.

 

 


With little blood left in her and the cold pain engulfing her whole system, she whispered those words she had never spoken of before.
 

 



“Saranghae, Seung Jun . . . Saranghae . . .”

 

 


A tear form in her eye and traversed its way down to her face as slowly her eyes closed and her head rested on his shoulder. And finally sighed as it was her final dying breath.

 

 


Seung Jun who was now conscious stared wide-eyed at the still Dara who was leaning on him.

 

 


He could no longer hear her pulse. He holds her shoulders and tried to gently push her away from him to look at her face but she never budged and her head limply bowed. He touched her pale face and tried to wake her up.

 

 


“No!” His voice drowned the still room as he realized she’s gone. “Dara . . . Dara . . .”

 

 


He hugged her body so tight and cried his heart out. He has been crying for a while and decided to carry her remains with him not wanting other people to touch her leaving a trail of blood behind them.

 

 


He carried her until they were in the middle of the forest. Still on his arms, he gently raised her and kissed her fully on the lips. Seung Jun knelt down and carefully put her down as well. He watched on the sky where the moon was covered by thick clouds and slowly took out the wood he carried along with him.
 

 



He continued looking at the sky and not for long the clouds began to disperse revealing the moon with rather an ominous color.

 

 


Losing a brother was painful enough, but losing her was losing his will to live. The time with her was his eternity that can’t be replaced even if he surrenders his immortality.

 

 


He was holding the stake with the pointed tip facing him and pulled his hands towards him along with the stake.

 

 

……………………………………….
Please comment, I’d also appreciate critics that are constructive not destructive . . .=)
Thanks to those who subscribed!