An Arrow to The Heart

An Arrow to The Heart

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the 24th Olympics for Charity!” A tall burly man on a podium burst out as the crowd applauded him. The Olympics for Charity event is a yearly sporting event for celebrities and society elite as they compete to raise money for charity. U-Kiss has always been a part of the event for years now, and won quite a bit for charity every year.

                “Dongho, are you going for baseball this year?” Soohyun whispered into the maknae’s ear, careful not to disrupt the event.

                “Of course! What’s baseball without Shin Dongho?” Dongho cockily replied, flipping his collar. “Hyung, you going for the javelin throw?”

                “Yeah. Hoon’s gonna go for the discus event and Kiseop’s gonna go for the 150m sprint.” Soohyun whispered back. He turned his head and saw Hoon leaning on his shoulder, eyes closed as he is fast asleep. A little drool escaped Hoon’s mouth. Soohyun kissed his boyfriend’s forehead. In one corner, Aj is holding Kiseop’s hands and Eli has his arm around Kevin.

                “What are you going to take part in?” Kevin asked. Eli bit his lip, “Um…Kevin, I have something to tell you…”

                “And for this year, we have an extra event.” The host of the event, Mr. Applebee, said, leaning closely to the microphone, trying to get everybody’s attention. Everyone stopped their ministrations and focused on the host. “Since The Hunger Games has been such a huge hit, we have decided to make a Hunger Games inspired event. Hence, we will have one more day to do events such as archery, climbing trees and knot-tying!”

                The audience started whispering. Kevin turned around and heard things like “Wow, that’s cool!” Soohyun reached out to hit Kevin. Kevin turned his head, “Kevin! You should do archery!”

                “Yeah! You’ve always had better aim and concentration than all of us!” Dongho said, nudging his hyung. Aj and Kiseop nodded. “Besides, weren’t you the archery champ in high school?”

                “It’s been so long since I held a bow…” Kevin hesitated.

                “Is anybody interested in the archery event? Do I hear any nominations?” Mr. Applebee went. Aj’s hand immediately shot up and went, “I nominate Kevin Woo!” The crowd started applauding as Kevin stared at Aj with the what-are-you-doing look.

                “Kevin Woo huh? Where is Mr. Kevin Woo?” Mr. Applebee said. Kevin had no choice and stood up. The crowd applauded some more. Kevin smiled. Maybe this isn’t such a bad idea.

                “I would like to join too.” Another voice popped up and Kevin froze to see a handsome man with blond hair and blue eyes stand up as well. Richard. That .

                “Richard Mallark?” Mr. Applebee asked. “Very well then, obviously this is going to be interesting. Anyone else?” A few more hands popped up but Kevin wasn’t looking at them. He was staring straight at Richard. Richard caught Kevin’s eye and gave him a haughty smile. Kevin clenched his fist.

                “There is no way I am taking part.” Kevin said, throwing down his backpack on the kitchen counter when the boys returned home. “I can’t stand the sight of Richard. He is doing this to spite me.”

                “Exactly, so if you back out, you’ll be giving him nothing but satisfaction in his actions.” Aj chided. “You are a great archer and you know that. What does he have that you don’t?”

                “Money to hire a coach to coach him.” Kevin grumbled, chewing on a piece of fruit that Eli cut for him.

                “Hyung, give yourself some credit will you? You are good and you know that.” Dongho said.

                “You know what, maybe you’re right. Maybe I can win this thing.” Kevin said. Hoon patted his back. “That’s what we’re talking about!”

                Kevin went into the attic to look for his old bow and arrows that he used in high school. When Kevin was up there searching through the dust bunnies, Eli climbed up to join him.

                “Kevin we need to talk.”

                Kevin’s heart almost stopped. The dreaded line. We need to talk. It’s like the key to a breakup. He turned to face his lover. “Yes?”

                Eli took a deep breath and bit his lip. “I…I won’t be taking part in the Olympics for Charity event.”

                Kevin drew his head back. “Okay…but you will be around right?”

                Eli shook his head. “I can’t. I…I got to go to New York for a cast meeting.”

                Kevin dropped his bow and arrows. “You’re not going to be here?”

                Eli shook his head some more. Kevin bit his lip, feeling the tears coming on. He was counting on Eli being there to support him, especially in this crucial battle against Richard. Eli was there for him no matter what. Over the past few years when Kevin took part in swimming contests Eli was always head cheerleader. The first to congratulate him if he won; the first to console him if he lost. He couldn’t believe that Eli wasn’t going to be around this year.

                “It’s ok..” Kevin gulped. “I’ll be fine.” Kevin doesn’t lie, but he does when he’s weak and vulnerable. Only Eli could see through it. Eli stepped forward and pressed a round pendant in Kevin’s hand. Kevin pried his fingers open, and saw a golden bird with its wings connected to a gold ring around it. It was a mockingjay, just like the one in The Hunger Games. The words “Elvin” were engraved in the ring, and a diamond was used as the eye of the bird.

                Kevin the pendant. Ever since his obsession with The Hunger Games started, he had nagged at Eli about the infamous pin Katniss Everdeen wore, saying that he really wanted something like that. Most of the times Eli looked like he couldn’t care less, but it never occurred to Kevin that he was actually listening.

                Eli hung the pendant on Kevin’s neck. “I know you’ve always wanted something like this. I might not be here, but if the mockingjay helped Katniss, it should help you too.” This time, Kevin didn’t even try to resist his tears. He hugged Eli tightly as Eli planted a little kiss on his forehead.

Next Day

                Kevin drew his bow as he prepared to shoot the board. He took a deep breath and let the arrow fly. He cursed slightly as the arrow hit out of range and on the white part of the board instead. It’s been a very long time since he practiced, and he was probably losing his touch.

                Kevin shot a few more times, this time all hitting very closely to the target. Kevin was still unsatisfied. He used to be able to hit a bull’s eye within three shots. It’s already been ten and he’s nowhere near it.

                “Losing your touch?” A voice come on. Kevin clenched his fist. He turned to see Richard, dressed in a Polo shirt and very expensive looking tailored khakis and a new bow. Kevin was jealous, that new bow would cost him a fortune but it would be well worth it. That bow was spectacular.

                “Richard. Since when do you shoot?”

                “Since you started.” Richard drew out an arrow and aimed for the board. He released it and it hit a 9. Kevin grunted. Richard was much closer to the bull’s eye than him.

                “You don’t seem to be doing well.” Richard taunted, wiping his sweat.

                “I’m fine, thanks.” Kevin replied curtly. “Do you mind? I wanna practice.”

                “Fine.” Richard said, getting ready to leave. “I’ll see you at the competition, when I get my hands on that golden trophy.”

                “This is for charity you know.”

                “Charity, smarity. I don’t give a damn about sick kids or the environment or starving women. Beating you is charity itself.” Richard turned and left. Kevin drew his bow and aimed for Richard’s head. He really wanted to release it, but his judgement got the better of him. He put his bow down and looked at his aching fingers. The tension in the string had made a very clear mark on them.

                You will pay for what you said, Richard. I promise you that.

After 4 Days

                Kevin’s continuous practice paid off. Not only was he getting better, he could afford to hit moving objects as well. He had the U-Kiss members carry boards and run around. They were a couple of misses, but as time went on Kevin got all of them.

                One afternoon, Kevin was practicing as usual. Dongho knitted him a special glove because the tension in the string had cut his fingers, but Kevin refused to wear them as he found it obstructing. He got around just by bandaging them.

                He finished his usual shots and smiled, he was getting better. He furrowed his brow at the thought of that, because if he did, so was Richard, and judging by his shot 4 days ago, Richard is really good, if not, almost better than him.

                He plucked all his arrows off the board and turned to see Aj and Kiseop making out on the patio. Kiseop had his arms wrapped around Aj’s neck  and Aj had one hand up Kiseop’s shirt. Kevin couldn’t help but feel jealous and disgusted at the same time. He had always told those two to get a room, but then they reminded him of his own make out sessions with Eli. Eli had gone off to New York and Kevin was missing him terribly.

                Aj withdrew from the kiss and turned to pick a rose from a vase. Kevin drew his bow. Now if he could just get the timing right….

                Right when Aj turned to give Kiseop the rose, Kevin released the arrow and it hit the rose out of Aj’s hand and pinned it on the wall. Kevin was surprised by his own shot. He had no idea he had that much force and accuracy. He really was getting better.

                Aj froze when the rose flew out of his hands and was pinned to the wall. He turned to see Kevin smirking at them. “I’ve told you two to get a room, didn’t I?” Aj swallowed back his guts and dragged Kiseop away. There’s no telling what Kevin could do with a bow and arrow. It scared the hell out of the 2Seop couple, but Kevin has never felt more confident.