Chapter 29

Loving You Forever

Gigi's surgery was a success.  After two weeks of intensive care to make sure her body was functioning properly and did not have any ill effects from the surgery, the doctors informed her with the good news that she can go home.  Gigi was excited at the news.  It's been months since sleeping in her own room, on her own bed.  "Hurry Raymond," she rushed as she folded her last item of clothing before placing it in the small duffel bag Raymond had brought to her.

Raymond raised a brow and asked cheekily, "Are we back being the bossy mother?"

Gigi giggled with happiness.  She had never felt this good to be alive.  It's as if she's been born again and the feeling of exhilaration is far from over.  Given this second chance of life, Gigi vowed to do things differently.  She will no longer be the stubborn mule Raymond often accused her of being.  She will listen to others' advices and have an open mind.  She will begin the new her by accepting Charmaine.

During her recovery period in the hospital, not once had Charmaine visited and she believed it was due to her own fault.  How much can a person take?  She had been downright rude to Charmaine on the few times she saw her but she was going to rectify all that.  Mandy was right.  She really should give Charmaine a chance.  If Raymond loves her then she will learn to love her.  But when she inquired about Charmaine, Raymond's face drew a blank.  He told her he didn't know where she was.  Gigi didn't know what to make of his response.  Did they break up?  Did she dump him?  What happened?  She tried to press him for details but he simply responded with 'I don't know' each time.  Raymond may not know about Charmaine's whereabouts but Gigi does know how it was affecting him.  She had never seen him looking so down and miserable.  Not wanting to see him unhappy she stopped asking about Charmaine.  It seems to work.  Raymond was looking more and more like his usual self as the days passed.  Zipping up the bag, Gigi gave Raymond a wry smile and said, "This bossy mother is here to stay forever."

Raymond smiled and embraced her.  "I wouldn't have it any other way."

A knock on the open door called their attention.  Ron stepped in, a grin on his face, "Are we ready to leave this place?"

Gigi picked up her bag and handed it to Raymond, "Am I ever.  I can't wait to leave!"

They turned to the door just as Mandy was walking in.  She saw the bag in Raymond's hand and said gleefully, "I'm glad I didn't miss you guys."  She linked her arm with Gigi's and said, "I don't want Auntie going home without me to make sure she's as comfortable as can be."

Raymond cocked his head to one side and asked, "You think I don't know how to take care of my own mother?"

Mandy and Gigi exchanged knowing looks and she said, "Well, not really.  Can you cook?  Clean?  Do laundry?"

"Mandy has a point," Gigi chimed in.  "How can you take care of me if you can't even perform any of those simple tasks?"

Rolling his eyes, Raymond turned to Ron and muttered, "Women.  You can never please them."

Stifling a chuckle, Ron said, "I thought you guys wanted to take Auntie home."

"Before we go home, let's stop for a bite to eat."  Raymond looked at his mom and said, "Your choice.  Whatever you want."

Gigi grinned from ear to ear.  In an excited, childish voice, she asked, "Anything?"  She then looked over at Ron, who nodded his head with approval.  "I'm craving for sushi."

Linking his arm with Gigi's free arm, Raymond said, "Sushi it is then.  Ron, you coming?"

"I wouldn't miss a free meal," Ron said and walked ahead of them.

As they walked towards the hospital exit, Raymond remembered something he needed to ask Ron.  "Ron?"

Slowing his steps, Ron waited for Raymond to catch up.  "Hmmm?"

"Were you able to find out any more about where the money came from?"

Ron scrunched his face in thought and shook his head.  "I asked our accounting department to try and locate the source.  All they can get is that the money was wired from an overseas bank.  Anything beyond that is out of their protocol."

Looking down at Gigi, and feeling overjoyed that his mother was alive because of this generous donator, Raymond said, "I want to find out who this person is and thank him.  Can you dig some more?"

Ron gave Raymond an exasperated look and said sarcastically, "The last I remember is that you're still a cop.  Why don't you put your investigative skills to use?"

Raymond stared at Ron with bemusement and then broke into a wide grin.  "I think I will."

----------------------------------------------------------

The car pulled up to the curb and Ben hurried to it.  He swung open the back door and helped Charmaine out.  Giving her a brief kiss, he asked, "What are you in the mood for?"

Charmaine looked past Ben to Kenneth, who stood a few feet behind.  He had on an aloof expression and didn't even bother to acknowledge her presence.  It has been this way since he unexpectedly returned to the house one night last week and was shocked to find Charmaine there and as Ben's wife.  Shock doesn't even begin to describe his reaction.  Kenneth immediately began firing questions about her relationship with Raymond and her sudden so-called disappearance.  During Kenneth's tirade and harsh criticism, Charmaine remained tight lipped.  It was the least of what she deserved for ending things the way she did with Raymond.

Ben, on the other hand, didn't take it lightly.  Having enough of Kenneth's outburst, he finally told Kenneth in an abrupt tone to stop.  Ben had never spoken to Kenneth in that manner and Kenneth was hurt and annoyed that he would do so because of a woman.  A wanton, despicable, cheating woman!  Since that night, Kenneth decided to move back to the house.  Catching Charmaine alone the next day he hissed that he was aware of her ploy.  Incorrectly assuming that she was after Ben's fortune, Kenneth made it adamantly clear that he wasn't going to let it happen.  Charmaine did not dare to defend herself against the accusations when what he said was partially true.  However, as cold as Kenneth was towards Charmaine, his attitude towards Ben was warm and loving.  It was apparent that Kenneth holds the utmost respect for Ben and treated him courteously, with genuine affection.  In the upcoming days, Charmaine also noted that Ben also has a deep affection for his younger brother.  Now under Kenneth's scornful eyes, Charmaine looked uneasily at Ben, and said, "It doesn't matter.  Why don't you ask Kenneth?"

Ben turned his head to survey his brother and noted the scowl on his face.  "Kenneth, lighten up.  It's not often that we get to have lunch together," he chided softly.

Kenneth relaxed his features.  Walking up to them, he said sardonically, "I don't care where we eat either as long as you and Charmaine are fine with it."

Ben looked between the two people he loved most and said, "Sushi!  I'm in the mood for sushi."

Kenneth tilted his head up the block and said, "There's a great sushi place up the block."

Ben took Charmaine's hand and gently tugged her along.  As they walked, he whispered into her ear, "You look beautiful as usual Mrs. Wong."

Charmaine gave him a wavering smile for his flattery.  She was still not used to being around him.  Although she had taken upon dining with him every night, there was still this barrier between them she can't seem to get over.  He was still very much a stranger to her.  Unlike Raymond who she instantly connected with in just a few days.  Time, she thought.

"We're here," Kenneth announced and opened the door for them to enter.  The place was packed and at first glance there didn't seem to be any available tables.  However, the maitre D, who was friends with Kenneth, informed them that they had a table available in the back terrace.  Looking at Ben for the go ahead and receiving it, Kenneth said, "That's fine.  Lead the way."

They walked past the main dining room towards a set of French doors that opens up to the terrace.  The area was small and from what Charmaine can see, it holds only three tables, and one of them was already occupied.  As she got closer she saw, with horror, that the table was occupied by none other than Raymond.