The Beginning

A Waltz Through Games

Minho slowly wakes up, rubbing his eyes tiredly as he opens them.  Strangely, he finds himself already standing up, as if he were standing in his sleep.  He's heard of people doing that before, but this is the first that he, himself, has done it.  He pushes the thought out of his mind as he looks around, realizing that the place he is in isn't a place that he recognizes.  He seems to be at the edge of a town and, unlike where he lives, this place is nice.  The sky is a bright, appealing blue rather than a polluted gray.  Green grass, large trees, and pretty flowers grow healthily in well watered and nutritious soil.  The open gate in front of him is elegantly decorated, small designs and figures carved into each rod. The road behind the gate is clear of any sort of trash and looks new and unused, as if it were paved only yesterday.

He stops admiring his surroundings when someone speaks to him.  

"Would you mind closing the door behind you, please?" says a boy, peeking at him from the gaps in the gate bars, most of him hidden behind a brick wall into which the gate is attached.  A top hat sits on his head perfectly, covering most of his unnatural auburn hair.  His eyes are wide and innocent, a warm brown color, but without any warm emotions to back them up.  His lips are plump and light pink, skin pale and flawless.  Minho is sure that this boy is the most beautiful person he's ever layed eyes on.

"The door," the boy says, pointing somewhere behind Minho when Minho offers no such response. Minho idly thinks that the boy's voice is nice too, as he turns around, immediately finding said door he is supposed to close.  

The door is just as elegantly decorated as the gate, maybe even more so, and he is impressed.  But even though the door is slightly open, Minho can see nothing on the other side, almost as if nothing existed there.  It makes him feel slightly uneasy.  He reaches for the door knob, slowly closing it, keeping the unknown dangers of that side out if this side.  Just as the door clicks shut and he lets out a small sigh, bricks walls shoot out from the ground, growing in what seems to be forever in all directions.  Minho looks to his left, narrowing his eyes, trying to see how far the walls extends, but can't find the end.  He makes a guess that it's surrounding the entire town.  This makes him feel uneasier, like he has just trapped himself.  He turns back around to face the boy.

"Thank you," the boy says with a smile.  It's the most stunning one Minho has ever seen, yet it screams evil.  He comes out from his hiding place, walking through the gate, towards Minho.  A small black cat follows him.

"My name is Lee Taemin," he says, bowing slightly at the waist and extending his hand out towards Minho.  "And this is my cat, Mischievous." He motions the cat at his feet.  "I call her Missy for short.  And who might you be?"

Minho grabs Taemin's outstretched hand, giving it a good shake before letting go.

"I'm Choi Minho."

"Nice to meet you, Choi Minho, and welcome to my world," he says, motioning to the town beyond the gate.  

"Your world?" Minho asks, quite confused with what Taemin called this place.  

Taemin nodded.  "Yes, my world."

"What makes it your world?"

"Well," Taemin begins, bringing one of his hands to his chin and rubbing it, thinking about how to phrase it.  "I guess you could say I'm the creator."  He tilts his head.  "More like a god actually," he says, nodding.  "Yeah, that's it."

"How so?" Minho asks, not quite believing him.  He comes to the conclusion that Taemin is either mentally ill and probably escaped from an asylum, or is very, very high.  

"I can make things happen here, I can make things not happen.  I can give birth to a new person, I can make someone disappear.  I can control whether the sun is shining or not.  I can keep the town poor, or I can make them rich.  Basically, I make this place what it is."  He smiles his beautiful smile again, turning around and looking at the town.  "And I must say," he continues.  "I am quite proud of my work."

Minho just nods, and pretends to believe him, but Taemin sees right through him.

"I see you don't think I'm speaking the truth," he says, looking back at Minho now.  "But you will soon see that I am telling no lie."

Minho just nods again, more convincingly, still quite sure that Taemin is, in fact, lying.  But he lets it go, because crazy people tend to do crazy things, and he doesn't want to be a victim.

"Since no one else is here," Taemin says, after a short moment of awkward silence.  "I guess I have the honor of showing you around."  He smiles again and Mischievous jumps up on his shoulder, yellow eyes on Minho like she's observing an interesting lab experiment.  

"I guess you do," Minho replies, tearing his eyes away from the creepy cat.  

"Then let us go!" Taemin exclaims, like an excited little boy ready to present his favorite thing for show-and-tell.  He turns around and walks down the path, not waiting for Minho's reply.  Minho hurriedly fixes himself up a bit and rushes after Taemin, stopping when he's just about to step on the boy's nice shoes.

Minho ponders what has happened as he walks down the path. He realizes that he's probably more calm about this than he should be.  But, after all, he is a writer, and don't writers spend time in imaginary worlds for a living?  He wonders for a moment if this is just another one of his weird dreams, but quickly dismisses it.  This place is far too vivid and clear to be a dream and, most of all, nothing here is familiar and all of his dreams are set in places he knows well.  He has never dreamed about anything like this.

A little further down the path, Minho decides that it doesn't realy matter how he got here, cause he's here no matter.  Instead, he thinks that it would be better to know more about this place, so he voices a couple of his questions.

"What is the name of this place anyway?"

"Well, I call it my world," Taemin replies.  "But it doesn't have an official name, so you can call it whatever you wish."

"Whatever I wish?" Minho clarifies, once again confused.

"Yes, whatever you wish."

"Then how do people know that I'm talking about this place if I can call it anything?"  

Taemin then turns around, walking backwards so he can look at Minho when he gives his answer.  

"Because there is no where else with which to get confused."  A small, evil smile graces his face.  "There is only here."

"Only here?" Minho mummers to himself, wondering how that is even possible.  

Taemin nods again, smile growing wider as Minho grows more confused.  

"How many people live here?"

"I would say about one and a half thousand," Taemin rubs the back of his head.  "But I can't say for sure.  It's making me curious now."  Taemin pets the cat gently, looking at it with loving eyes.  "I guess I'll get my Missy to count for me later," Taemin coos.  Mischievous's eyes twinkle and Minho swears that she also nods.  

Taemin suddenly stops, and Minho runs into him, almost knocking the smaller one over.

"We're here," Taemin says, gesturing in front him.  

Minho looks up, noting that the buildings are just as well decorated as the gate and door from earlier and stand taller than any structure he has ever seen.  People scurry in and out of the magnificent buildings, and Minho notices that they are beautiful as well, almost even as beautiful as Taemin.  He spots a large garden that one of them is tending to.  Delicious looking peppers, tomatoes, apples, pumpkins, blueberries and many other foods fill up the entire place.  Minho's not a plant expert, but he's pretty sure that there's a plant that in there that grows during every season.  He's bewildered by such a phenomenon and asks Taemin how that's possible.

Taemin just shrugs.  "I've always kept the weather pretty stable, so I would assume each plant has adapted to it."  

Minho can only nod, at a loss for words.

"Anyhow, follow me," Taemin commands, and to Minho's surprise, they aren't heading into the village, but rather away from it.

"Where are we going?" Minho asks, looking back at the perfect town he'd much rather be touring.

"We're going to your house."

"It isn't going to be in town?"

"No," Taemin says, smiling back at Minho.  "I want to be able to visit you."

"And you can't do that in town?"

"No," Taemin says, shaking his head.  "I don't like to go to town.  Every time I do, I always see something that makes me sad, like an orphan that has to resort to stealing food or a dying dog that no one bothers to take care of... And I would rather just not see that."

"But aren't you the god or something?  If you don't want to see it, why don't you just fix it?"  Minho asks, mocking Taemin, yet at the same time genuinely curious.

"I prefer not to interfere with them."  Taemin sighs.  "They don't know that I exist, and I like to keep it that way."

Minho just nods and lets it drop, following in silence the rest of the way.

 



Minho's house is all he could ever want and more.  It's quite a ways from town, and the quiet is perfect for a writer like himself.  The bed is large and fluffy, perfect for a good night's sleep.  The ice box is stuffed with all of his favorite food, fresh and ripe and so delicious looking it makes his mouth water.  The closet is full of nice, clean, clothes that he was never able to afford back in London, and it all just happens to fit him perfectly.

"I'm glad you find it to your liking," Taemin says with a smile as he watches Minho become more and more excited with every new discovery.  

"This is all amazing... It's like it was made for me!"  Minho exclaims as he munches on a pastry he found in the pantry.  It is the most delicious pastry he's ever had.

"That's because it was," Taemin says nonchalantly, sitting in a very comfortable looking chair with his feet propped up on a table.

"Yeah, right," Minho laughs, finishing up his first pastry and reaching for his second.  

"It really was," Taemin insists, petting the purring Mischievous that sits in his lap.  

"You didn't even know I was coming."  Minho the remnants of sugar off of his finger tips.  "So that couldn't be possible."

"But we did," Taemin says, his evil smile back again.  "We've been expecting you for quite some time.  You're actually a bit late."

Minho unconsciously shivers, his feelings of uneasiness returning, and begins to doubt his first thoughts.  Maybe Taemin was a god?  "How did you know I was coming?"

Taemin just shrugs, not offering any verbal response.  He bends down a little to make eye contact with his cat, making cute faces and and scratching her chin.  

"Well," Taemin says after a while.  "I'm going to get back.  Missy will guide you through town so you know where to get what you need."  He picks Mischievous up, stands up, and sets her down in the chair.  She his hand before snuggling into the back of the cushion.

"I'll come visit you pretty soon," Taemin continues, picking his hat up off the table and placing it on his head once more.  "But don't hold your breath, I'm a busy man."  Taemin gives Minho a small wink before departing, leaving Minho and his cat to tour the town of "Whatever You Wish".

 


It's a week and a half later when Minho wakes up at midnight with a stomach ache, and runs to bathroom to puke a seemingly problematic amount.  He lifts his head out of the toilet bowl and flushes it again, groaning at the taste of vomit in his mouth and suddenly feeling hungry.  He slowly stands up and makes his way to the kitchen, eager to satisfy his stomach.  

He rinses his mouth out, wincing at the slight sweet taste of the water, and searches for a healthy snack that would hopefully fill him up.  He settles on an apple.  He tosses it in the air and catches it a couple of times before taking a large bite out of it.  It's the best apple he's ever had.  A couple of bites later, when he's almost finished with it, he feels the urge to puke again.  And so he does, spilling his guts into the kitchen sink.  He groans again and weakly crumples to the floor.

This place has been getting progressively worse.  At first, Minho adored it.  It was his dream world.  Everything was easy on the eyes, it was never too hot or cold, and none of the food ever tasted rotten or overdone.  He was left alone (except for Taemin, occasionally) unless he wished for company, then he simply went town and had a drink of coffee at a cafe with a friendly waiter or went shopping, for he now had what appeared to be an infinite amount of money.  It seemed to him that his wish had finally come true; his life was easy and peaceful.

But it started changing after his initial amazement in the town wore off and he noticed people's reaction to him.  He became aware of all the nasty looks that people gave him and how most of them left the room because he entered.  Sure, back in London, he was the dreamy guy that all the girls wanted to date, but here, in this town where everyone is too beautiful, he is the ugliest man they've ever layed eyes upon.  The servers in restaurants and cashiers in stores stay because the have to, but that doesn't keep them from looking at him with the utmost disgust and pity, like they are superior.  And Minho supposes that they are in the right, because he is less than them in every way.  

And not to mention the weather.  The first few days it was amazing.  Back where he lived, the sun was rarely ever out, and so it was a new experience for him and he loved it.  But after a week and a half with not even the temperature varying, he was growing tired of the same weather.  It was always perfect.  There was no reason to cuddle up on the couch and throw a blanket over himself while he sipped at hot chocolate; it was too warm for that.  There was no reason to go shirtless with the fan on and drink fresh lemonade with too many ice cubes; it was too cool for that.  And Minho is just tired of it.  

And the buildings, they are nice and well built and perfect, just like the people who reside in them.  There are no cracks or vandalized walls, or even scratches for that matter, and it is nothing like the place he is used to.  They are taller than anything Minho has seen, looming over him in ways that make him feel entirely too small.  And it makes him feel even more out of place, because even the buildings are flawless in this place.

Minho grips the counter and pulls himself up, wondering if maybe the food is now making him sick.  After all, he's not used to fresh fruit and tasty pastries, he's used to old scraps of meat and stale bread.  He bends over the sink again, ready to up heave again, but nothing comes out.  He washes the vomit in the sink down the drain and makes his way back to his bed, clutching his aching stomach and resolving to just go back home.

 

 

 

 

A/N- this is the longest chapter ive ever written xD but i guess the entire story can only be three chapters, so they need to be long ones...

so what do you guys think? im really excited about writing this and reading what yall think, and im totally welcome to critisism!  ill probably revise this after the contest is over just because I can

so please comment <3