Latte Heartstrings

Latte Heartstrings

We never really thought we'd meet at all I guess. I was working as a singer for a café with my band. He was a usual customer there. We attended the same school but we never talked to each other until one day.

The guy I was going out with broke up with me and I swore not to fall in love so fast again. I didn’t sing at the café for a few days. He seemed to notice my disappearance as he suddenly showed up at my front porch asking why I wasn’t there.

When I asked if he wanted to come in, he declined and I just look at him.

“I just want to know. The coffee doesn’t seem as enjoyable without your voice in the café.”

That’s what he said. I swear at that moment, my heart sped up but I repelled it. I reminded myself of my recent break-up. It even hurt more since my ex was also my best friend. I remember sighing before blankly telling him about it.

“Well? Are you satisfied now?”

“Yeah, I guess so. Cheer up and come to the café again soon. Lots of costumers seem to miss your voice.”

I stared as he walked away and that after noon, I picked up my guitar and started to strum rather lazily until I picked up a tune and started singing some notes.

“It’s a funny thing, this love thing
It only falls into my arms
When I’m not looking for it at all”

I laid down my guitar after several strums and not coming up with anything to go next. I remembered the guy. It was sweet of him to be like that. I should repay him I guess. The next day, I went to the café and sang with my band. The costumers really have missed me as they have been asking where I’ve been.

A bigger surprise though was the prepared latte that my co-worker gave me along with a small cream envelope. I was completely taken by surprise. I expected it to be from one of my friends but what shocked me was, it was from someone I didn’t know.

It’s good to see you’re back. Have some coffee and calm down. Move on and just try to forget about that guy. Life has more enjoyable things. Keep up your great work.

Somehow, in my heart, I could easily tell who it was that wrote this. I tried looking for a familiar blonde amongst the people inside the café but I couldn’t seem to find him. I went back to performing and after a few hours, just when I felt that he wouldn’t come, he walked in right through the door, walking straight to the seat he always occupied, just beside the window.

After a song, I walked towards him and decided to make friends with him. He seemed nice enough. You won’t find much people doing all these stuff for a stranger they would barely know.

“Hey.”

“Hey to you too.”

“Thanks for the cheer up”

“It’s no problem. I’m Jung Daehyun by the way.”

“I’m Lee MiEun.”

That’s where we started I guess. Every day, I would start anticipating seeing him in the café and we started talking inside the campus. We got closer and closer. We were both majoring in Music and Arts. It only made me feel even more connected to him. Often times, on my break, he’d treat me to some Latte and would comment on my singing. He was also a singer and his voice was simply divine.

One day, I came home after a rather hectic day of exams. Thank God it was the last one though. My phone rang from my pocket and I quickly took it out. It was Daehyun calling again.

“I realize that you might be a bit tired and stressed from all the exams so you want to go to the café today? As a costumer?”

“Your treat?”

“As always, my lady.”

“Meet me there in 30.”

He was already there even if it had only been 20 minutes. I thought I would be the first one to get there but I guess I was wrong. We always seemed to have the same ideas anyway.

“You’re early.”

“I could say the same for you.”

“I thought girls always had to be 5 to 10 minutes for meet ups.”

“Not all of them are like that.”

We spent our time there talking about our ideals and interests. We were completely on the same page as always. We’ll probably make it far. He got me a Latte again and I decided to ask why a Latte always.

He simply smiled.

“You seem to like it a lot and you remind me of one. You’re always so sweet to people.”

It made me smile. I never noticed I was falling for him. All I knew was that, he was always making me smile.  I never noticed that even my heart was smiling every time I see him.

I never noticed it until I got home that day and started playing my guitar again.

“You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
They’re coming all undone
My heartstrings”

The song was pretty and the beat was just perfect. I wanted to sing more. Unintentionally, he came into my mind and the lyrics started to fill out.

“Hey baby, you’re doing
All the things that make me
Sing sing sing sing sing sing
Untying these heartstrings
That I’ve been triple knotting”

I paused and strummed a bit more before continuing again.

“Hey darling, see these wings?
They’re not clipped anymore
I’m singing and shaking off
My silence with this voice

It’s a funny thing, this love thing
You’re always on the
Same page, same line, same letter
We’re gonna go far

You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
They’re coming all undone
My heartstrings”

I tried to write down some more but I was just too tired so I decided to let it be for now. I was content with what was currently written and as I sang it again, I kept on reminiscing about Daehyun and I. Wait a minute, am I falling for him?!

After an hour of panicking about falling for him, I laughed it off and calmed myself before thinking about it again. Well, I don’t really mind falling for him. I’m sure he’ll catch me. More lyrics popped into my mind and I picked up my guitar again before going to sleep. That night, I wrote down these lyrics.

“Gonna do this right
With you by my side
And if I fall I’m safe, I know
Safe in your arms
In your arms”

I continued with life normally and Daehyun and I had this perfect relationship. Sometimes, my co-workers would ask me if we were official and I’d just laugh and tell them no.

It all kinda changed 3 months later though. He gave me call to go to the café that day. I was a bit surprised since the café was closed that day since the boss had strangely given us all a day off. I told him about it but he insisted that I go. I went of course. Why wouldn’t I?

I arrived there to see the closed sign there on the glass door of the café and I sighed. To my surprise though, the door wasn’t locked. I decided to go in and as I opened up the lights, I was surprised to see my band’s guitarist there, on the small stage with Daehyun. The other workers were also there. A co-worker I was pretty close with lead me to sit in the table Daehyun and I often sat at.

“Today is a pretty special day for me. MiEun, it’s good you considered coming. You were a bit late and I was worried you wouldn’t come. But anyways, this is for you.”

The guitarist played a rather speedy beat and Daehyun started singing.

“I'm in love, with a girl

Who is out, of this world.

She don't know, that I love her so-oh-oh.”

 

“When she's around,

I always find a way to make a fool out of myself.

And on a scale of 1 to 10, she's a 12.

And I love her so-oh-oh.”

 

“And I'm giving it all that I got,

Just to say:

You're the only one I want, with me."

  "I'm in love with a girl.

She is so beautiful.

She don't know that I love her so-oh-oh"

 

 

I found it adorable how he decided to sing that song out of all the songs I’ve told him about. As the song was about to end, a co-worker gave me a cup of Latte and I smiled as I saw a heart design on it.

 

 

Once he finished, he looked at me from the stage. He put up the mic to his mouth again and spoke.

“Lee MiEun, will you go out with me?”

I almost chocked on air and after a few chuckles from the workers, I smiled up at him and said yes.

We had our own little date there at the café. It was pretty noticeable that the staff was peeking at us though. We found it pretty funny and we talked about our relationship.

“There’s one thing I want you to understand though. I want to take our relationship slowly. I don’t want to make any mistakes. Is that okay with you?”

“Of course, it’s fine, as long as you’re the one with me.”

 

I got home sometime around 4 and I had this urge to play my guitar again. That day, I finished my song. I decided to give him a little surprise of my own tomorrow.

I had explained my plan to the staff and once he arrived and had sat down on our little table. I stepped up on the stage with my guitar and I could see he was surprised since it would be the first time I was going to sing without my band.

This is for a special person that decided to surprise me yesterday. I wanted to give you my own surprise. I hope everyone likes this song. I wrote this as our relationship was progressing.”

After giving him a look, I started strumming and singing.

 

“Hey baby, it’s easy
To believe in you and me
The smiling, the laughing
It’s comin’ so easily

It’s a funny thing, this love thing
It only falls into my arms
When I’m not looking for it at all

Hey baby, you’re doing
All the things that make me
Sing sing sing sing sing sing
Untying these heartstrings
That I’ve been triple knotting

I wanna take it slow and that’s okay with you
See I’m finished making the same old mistakes
I won’t let us fall

You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
They’re coming all undone
My heartstrings

Hey darling, see these wings?
They’re not clipped anymore
I’m singing and shaking off
My silence with this voice

It’s a funny thing, this love thing
You’re always on the
Same page, same line, same letter
We’re gonna go far

You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
You put a smile
You put a smile on my heart
They’re coming all undone
My heartstrings

Gonna do this right
With you by my side
And if I fall I’m safe, I know
Safe in your arms
In your arms

Hey baby, it’s easy to believe in you and me”

 

The people clapped and I bowed as I walked off the stage. He had already gone to the side of the stage and was clapping with the people. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

“Did you like it?”

“Well, you made me kinda feel like an unoriginal fool since I confessed to you with a song I didn’t write but yeah. I liked it a lot though I suggest looking at me more while performing.”

I laughed and we had a little dinner date that night with a movie night at my house.

 

I’ve completely fallen for him.

 

He really had my heartstrings undone.

 


ᾴηӌȔ's ȻɵяɳℯȐ

Done!
So for all of you who are wondering what these songs are.
Check out the foreword~.
Hope ya'll liked it!
Comment and subscribe~
LOL if you're wondering why I put Latte in the title,
well, it just sounded cute ^^