Chapter 3

The Hidden Memorandum

"Engage?" Shin Hye slipped her finger in and out of the ring hanging on silver chain around her neck.

Is it okay for him to not remember me?  He looks happy and more relaxed without knowing me.  All I ever did was bring him trouble.  Park Shin Hye closed the newspapers as she crumpled it up and threw it in the nearby garbage can.

Her chest ached painfully as she tried her best to ignore the pain and sighed deeply.  She winced in pain, massaging her tired and aching legs.  She sat there, massaging her legs for a few more minutes. She heard footsteps approaching the door.

"Shin Hye?"

"Yes?"

"Come quick, the lunch line is starting." The head lunch lady stated before walking away.

Shin Hye pulled herself up from the bucket that she was sitting comfortably on.  Walking out of the storage room, she put on her clean, white apron and black hair net.  She stood behind the serving counters as beautiful, well dressed students walked by, giving her dirty, annoyed glances.  She did not care though, she was used to people always looking down on her.

As she was scooping a ladle full of steamed yellow corn onto one student's tray, the cafeteria filled with fan girlish screams.  Getting caught up in the excitement again, Shin Hye leaned over the counter and saw KyuHyun walking through the cafeteria doors, carrying his black messenger bag.  He smiled gently at his fellow classmates as he made his way though the crowd. 

Seeing him smile still made her heart beat like crazy. His genuine smile always did make her heart feel like she was the only girl in the world for him.  It pained her to know that she wasn't anymore.  She remembered the first time he smiled at her - it was unexpected.


FLASHBACK

Shin Hye stood with her head hung low as she clutched her books tightly to her chest.  She felt a pair of hands pushing her against the bathroom door.  She felt another hand hit the side of her head.

"Stupid loser!" The mean girl shoved her against the bathroom door again as Shin Hye slipped and fell to the ground.  Her books landed in a pile next to her as the bullies kicked it out of her reach.  She was on her way to her locker when Shim Rina and her two friends pulled her into the girls' bathroom; the three girls have been picking on her for years.

"Next time when you finish my homework, I expect a hundred percent.  You got that?" Rina slammed her fist on the bathroom door as she and her friends walked out of the bathroom, guffawing like hyenas.

Shin Hye slowly gathered her books together as she stood up and walked out of the bathroom.  With her head still hanging low, she rounded the corner and collided into something solid and her books fell from her clutch again.

"I'm sorry." Came the voice.  At the sound of the deep voice, Shin Hye looked up and saw Cho KyuHyun, the crowned prince of Korea.

"I am so sorry!" Shin Hye apologized as she bowed her head lower and took a few steps backwards.  "Your Highness, please forgive me."

"There's no need for apologies," he said bending down to pick up her books.  He handed her books to her.  "Sorry again, here are your books."

Glancing up at him, he smiled genuinely at her.  For the first time at the school, someone actually smiled at her.  Not a forced, fake smile; not a threatening smile; not any sort of complex smile, but a warm and genuine one/  She stood there as a shy awkward smile formed on her own lips.

"You're not hurt anywhere are you?" He asked, concerned.

She shook her head.

"Alright then, have a nice day." He said before walking away with two of his palace guards in toll.  She turned around to look at him as he strutted down the hallway as if he was really walking in a real fashion runway.  He owned the hallway without even trying or realizing it.

She watched as he disappeared around the corner, replaying his smile in her head repeatedly.

END OF FLASHBACK


"Corn, please.  Hello? Corn, please.  Miss!"

Coming back to reality, Shin Hye quickly scooped a ladle full of corn and accidentally missed the tray when she realized whom it was.  The corn spilled all over his shoes.

"Sorry!" She apologized covering with her hands. 

"It's okay." He assured her.  "It's just corn." Everyone in the cafeteria turned their attention towards the situation and stared at her as if she had jsut committed a heinous crime and should be put to death for it.  Staring back at them, she immediately dropped the ladle and quickly rushed out of the room.

"Miss!" She could hear him calling after him, but she didn't dare to stop and turn back to go to him like she wanted to.  If she did, she knew that she wouldn't be able to keep her end of the deal.

--------------

KyuHyun laughed to himself on the way home from school.  He was sitting in the palace black cars that chauffeured him and his sisters everywhere, when he thought back to lunch at the young lady who poured corn onto his shoes accidentally.  Her expression was priceless.

"What are you laughing about?"  He looked to his left at his older sister, Seul Gi, staring back at him.

"Something happened at school today." He replied.

"Oh, do tell.  Is it Hyo Joo?" Seul Gi guessed.

He shook his head.  "No, this girl at school today, poured corn all over my shoes." He laughed again.  "She then dropped the ladle and made a mad dash out of the cafeteria."

"It's not that funny." She replied.

"You have to be there to see it.  The look on the girl's face was priceless.  She looked like a deer caught in the headlights. It was cute." He smiled, remembering the long on the poor girl's face.

"I like this girl already." She joked, laughing also.  "Tell me, did you talk to Hyo Joo today?"

He nodded shyly as he rubbed his hands together.  He could feel his face turning a shade of scarlet as he turned away like a shy, little boy.  "Tae Jun pushed me to do so." He then went on into a full detailed story of his encounter with Hyo Joo.

"You should just tell her that you like her already," Seul Gi ushered him.  "It's killing me and it's not even my problem."

"Trust me, it's killing me too." He replied.  "I don't think I can reveal my feelings for her though."

"Why?"

He looked over at his sister.  She was the only person in the world that he trusted, along with Tae Jun.  Right when he got out of the hospital after the accident, she was the only person that he felt comfortable and safe with.  She took a great care of him too, just like any sweet older sister would do.  Seul Gi then admitted that they were indeed very close before.  They always told one another everything.

"Come on, you know how mother and father would react.  They will go crazy if they found out that I like Hyo Joo.  She does not have the same status as Min Jae does." He stated.

"That's true.  Sorry to read about your engagement in the newspaper.  Mother drives me crazy sometimes too," said Seul Gi taking out the newspaper from her messenger bag and reading the article again.  "Did you talk to Min Jae about this?"

He nodded.  "She didn't take it to seriously.  I think."  He stared at his sister, grateful for her existence.  He smiled as he watched her read the paper.  Seul Gi looked up and caught him looking at her and smiled.

"What is it?"

He hesitated before replying.  "Nothing.  Just thinking about how grateful I am for you, that's all."

She closed the papers as she smiled warmly at her only brother.  "You have no idea how grateful I am everyday that you didn't die in the accident.  I couldn't lose my favorite brother."

KyuHyun rolled his eyes as a slight laugh escape his lips.  "I'm your only brother."

Grinning at one another, Seul Gi reached over and ruffled his hair as he playfully pushed her hand away, causing her to remember all of their childhood memories together.  She looked at him as he stared out his window. She hoped that one day her bother would recover his memories soon; she didn't want to be the only one to remember all of their happy moments.

"Can I admit to something?" KyuHyun said out of the blue as their car stopped at a red light.

"Hmm?"

"I don't know if I should say this, but what if I don't want to regain my memory?"

"Why would you say that?"

"I'm sorry, Seil Gi.  I know you want me to remember everything and all, but...what if I did something bad in my past?  What if, whatever problem I had led me to where I am today - with no mere memories of the past?  Maybe this is God's way of punishing me for what happened the night of the accident," said KyuHyun.

Seul Gi shook her head.  "I know you.  You would not do anything like that.  You won't even hurt a fly, so I really can't think of anything that you could do to make God want to punish you."

Taking in her thoughts, KyuHyun sat and stared out the window.  He admitted that he might never want to regain his memories because he was getting used to the life he was living now.  He was afraid of what he was before the accident.

What if I wasn't happy? He thought, closing his eyes as sharp pain shot through his head.  He clutched his head as images of a silver ring on a chain flashed right before his eyes.  The silver ring displayed three, silver bands.  His head felt more sharp pains as he took out his medicine.  Seeing this, Seul Gi quickly took out her bottle of water and handed it over to him.  He took the water and swallowed his tablets.

He hated the migraines that he recieved every now and then.  This time was different, when his usual migraines started, all he recieved were throbbing pains in his head and never images of anything.

"Are you okay?" Seul Gi asked.

KyuHyun nodded.  "I'm f-fine.  H-Happens all the time." He stammered.  For the rest of the ride home, all he could think about was the silver ring.  Who's ring was it - and why was he getting flashes of it?

* * * *