Chapter 1

The Hidden Memorandum

"KyuHyun! Come back here!"

Ignoring his mother's heartbreaking bellows, Cho KyuHyun strode out into the pouring rain.  He turned around and faced his parents who stood at the doorways of the palace.  "No!  I cannot believe that my own parents would do this to me...and to her!"  He shouted back at them furiously with the heavy rain running down his face.  "I. Love. Her."

"You are only sixteen years old!  You do not know what love is, son."  His mother shouted.  "Now get back inside the palace before you catch a cold!"

KyuHyun  shook his head.

"Let her go!  You are Korea's future king.  You have a bigger responsibility than to go after some girl."  His father shouted in his sturdy, deep voice.

He didn't want to hear his parents' tiresome tantrums anymore.  He was tired - tired of it all.  With his hair drenched wet and matted to his head, he slowly shook it, glaring back at his own parents.

"Neither of you understand...I would give up the throne for her.  I would give up the world for her.  Do either of you even understand to that extent, what it means?  To actually feel that way about someone."  Giving the king and queen one last look, KyuHyun turned around and strode towards where his car was waiting and got in.  He angrily drove out of the palace grounds. 

He had to find her.  He had to talk to her.  He couldn't let her go just like that, while believing all the lies that his parents told her.  He looked in his reivew mirror as he saw four sets of bright lights tailing his every move.

"Stupid bodyguards," he mumbled as he made a smooth right turn at the green light.  With the hard, slick rain, his wheels skidded a bit under him, but he confidently took control of the wheel.  By now, the rain seemed to be coming down harder as the windshield wipers swished back and forth like crazy.  Up ahead of him was a white car, moving slowly as the pace of a garden snail.  Having no patience, he looked to see if there were any cars coming on the opposite lane as he tried to pass the slow car.  When the coast was clear, KyuHyun floored the pedal and swerved around to cut the slow car.  His bodyguards did their best to stay tight on his rear.

Desperately, he tried to lose th bodyguards.  He was sick of them for always following him everywhere.  He was sick of it all.  Stopping at the red light, KyuHyun waited for the green light to appear.  Finally, after it seemed like years, the light turned green.  He put his car foward, as he did, a pair of bright white lights blinded his vision from the side.  He turned and saw the lights getting bigger as his head jerked to the side.  He was hit from the side as his car went tumbling over a few times across the wet street.  On the final flip, his seatbelt gave in as he felt himself being thrown against the windshield, head first.

The sounds of breaking glass and screeching tire was the last thing he heard as he fell into a silent darkness.

* * * *

Slowly opening his eyes, rays of light blinded him as he closed his eyes immediately.  His eyes were sensitive to the vibrant light.  He wondered how long he had been sleeping.  He tried to sit up.  The more upright his head was positioned, the more pain throbbed everywhere.  He fell back down onto his pillow, wincing in pain.

Where am I?  He took notice of the four plain white walls that surrounded him.  He looked around the spacious room and saw no one in sight.  Along with the pain in his head, he was greatly confused as to what he was doing in a hospital room.

Suddenly, the door flew open as a flow of people came in. 

"KyuHyun ah!"

He turned and saw a couple in their early fifties, rushing to his side as the woman took a hold of hand and started kissing it endlessly.  She then cupped his face in her small, soft hands. 

"KyuHyun, how are you feeling?  Do you need anything?" The woman asked.

He stared back at them with a confused yet curioused look on his face.  "K-KyuHyun?  Is t-that...me?"  He wanted to know.

"Why are you talking that way?  You're scaring your mother." The emotional woman stated.  Clearly, she was in a wreck.

"M-Mother?  You are my mother?"

"Son, it's me, father."  The man stated this time, grabbing his other hand.

Scared, he shook his hands out of their strong grasps.  "I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong person."  He shook his head.  He has never seen these two people before in his entire life.  They looked terrible, like they haven't slept in days.  He didn't want to be too harsh with his words.

"KyuHyun! Why are are you doing this to us?  To punish us?" The woman sobbed even harder as streams of tears flowed like a river from her light eyes.  "KyuHyun!"

"I'll go get the doctor." The man rushed out of the room and returned with a male doctor who looked like he was in his late forties.  He was dressed in a long white coat arrying a clipboard and a pair of stethoscope around his neck.

"Dr. Jang, what's wrong with my son?  How come he doesn't remember his own parents?" The woman was in a frantic state now.

"Let me do a thorough checkup, Your Highness," Dr. Jang replied.

Your Highness? What the heck? Maybe I'm more damaged than I thought. KyuHyun closed his eyes as he tried to tune out all of the commotion.  Who am I?  How did I end up here in the hospital?

"Son, can you tell me what your name is?" Dr. Jang asked.

Staring at the three adamant faces staring back at him.  He shook his head.  "Sorry."

"Do you know who these people are?" Dr. Jang pointed at the very emotional couple.

Once again, he shook his head.  "They say that they're my parents, but...I've never seen them before."

"Why are you pretending not to know your own parents?  Is it because of what happened?" The frantic woman held his hands in hers once again.  "We're very sorry.  We didn't mean for everything to happen like this."

"What are you talking about? What happened?" He asked as the man and woman exchanged an unreadable look between them.

"Do you really not know us?" The man asked.

Annoyed, he shook his head once more.  "Look ahjussi, I already told you.  This is my first time meeting you and your wife.  I'm still confused myself on how I ended up here."

"What do we have to make you believe that you are our son?" the woman asked.

He shrugged as the woman dug around in her black, leather purse.  She pulled out a square photograph.  She flipped it around and showed him content of the photograph.  He took the picture in his hands and stared down at it.  He saw his own familiar face, at least he thinks it's him, smiling amongst five beautiful girls and the frantic couple.

"Those are your sisters," said the woman.  "Do you believe us now?"

He slowly nodded.  "It's hard not to.  I have to believe you." He answered still staring at the picture some more.  He set it down and stared back at his so called 'parents'.  "You...you mentioned my name earlier, what was it again?"

"KyuHyun," she answered.  "Cho KyuHyun."

"Cho KyuHyun." He repeated his own name, but even that was unfamiliar to him.  He watched as Dr. Jang pulled the man and woman out into the hallway.

"Your Highness," the doctor started, shutting the door tight behind him.  He didn't know what to tell the king and queen to put them more at ease.  He knew that whatever he was going to tell them, they would not take it lightly. He took a deep breath and told the king and queen.  "Your son has amnesia."

"A-Amnesia?" the queen held onto her husband for support.  "How can this be?  When he fell into a coma, you never said anything about him waking up and not remember anything.  You never said that was a possibility!"

"I am sorry.  Due to the severe blows to the head during the accident, it shook some of his nerves.  I want to talk to him, one-on-one to find out if he can remember anything.  Even if it's something small or vague." Dr. Jang suggested.  "Please wait in the waiting room."

"No, we wnat to watch and see what he answers.  Please Dr. Jang, we won't feel at ease at all."

The doctor sighed deeply, hesitating, before nodding his head in agreement.  "Fine, but please do not interrupt.  It will only make the matters worse."  The parents eagerly nodded their heads as they followed Dr. Jang back into their son's room.

"KyuHyun, I'm going to ask you a series of questions so I can get a better knowledge of your condition.  Even if you don't remember, just answer honestly." Dr. Jang stood on the right side of the bed as his parents stood far behind him.  "Can you tell me what happened when you got into the car accident?"

KyuHyun slowly shook his head. 

"Do you remember why you were doing out in the road so late at night?"

He shook his head again as a confused look appeared on his face.  "I...I do remember one thing."  A relieved look appeared on both his parents and Dr. Jang's faces.

"What is?" the woman asked. 

"S-Shin Hye." He answered.  He stared back at his parents as all the blood drained from their faces.  It was so silent in the room that a pin drop could be heard.  "Shin Hye.  Do you know this person?" 

The couple shook their heads.  "Son, maybe you should take another rest.  You're exhausted." She helped him lay down as he went back to sleep.  The three adults quickly left the room to talk. 

"Dr. Jang, when can we take our son home?" the King asked.

"Maybe by the end of this week, just until we run some more tests on him."

"Thank you." She thanked him.

"When you do take him home, let him adjust to his daily life.  Ease him in, do not pressure him into remembering anything; that will take some time. Do not unload too much on him." Dr. Jang instructed.

"How long do you think it will be until he regains his memory?" the queen wanted to know.

He answered truthfully.  "I'm not sure, Your Highness.  There are hundreds of cases like your son's.  Some regain their full memories back eventually.  We'd be luck if he regains it back within a week, but usually it can take up to a few weeks, a few months, even a year." 

* * * *