Color the Lights: Chapter 22

Color the Lights

 

 

It really wasn’t in the master plan. Henry just had a burning wish to make Donghae take those words back. Kibum was not dangerous. Donghae was wrong. That was why he had set up an entire scenario where something bad could possibly happen.

What were the es for the insane? Henry had thought about all night while he slept against Donghae’s chest, which, by the way, was absolutely wonderful. Deep down, he knew he didn’t feel that way towards the older male, but the skinship made him happy. It was new and exciting and very obviously great.

Henry walked up to Kibum’s black car, opening the door to climb in. Across the street, he could still see reporters hounding the mansion. Eventually, he knew, Donghae would be making an appearance outside to confront all of those people. He just wasn’t one to sit idly by. Henry smiled at his lover, flushing lightly when he saw the look of pure sweetness on Kibum’s face. “Good morning,” he greeted politely.

In return, Kibum said, “Good morning. You look a little tired. Were the reporters loud last night?”

Shaking his head, he responded, “No…I just slept really late.” Henry didn’t want to wreck anything with this man, but there was a certain sense of loyalty thrumming through him. Who had he known longer: Donghae or Kibum?

Wasn’t it better to doubt the man he had only begun getting to know? Otherwise, what sort of person was Henry?

With that in his mind, he shut the door to the car.

They drove in silence for a while, neither of them really bothered by it. Henry fiddled with his hands, trying to decide what to say. How was he supposed to bring up his feelings? Kibum probably understood that he was flustered by the entire state of affairs, but what he didn’t know was Donghae’s disdain for him.

Regret tugged at Henry’s heart. Why hadn’t he properly given his hyung a chance to explain those words? He’s dangerous. Just what was Donghae talking about? Sighing under his breath, he turned to Kibum, gazing at the man.

“Hyung-ah,” Henry began softly, “…what do you think of that murder? It seems kind of crazy, don’t you agree?”

Kibum was quiet at first, face contemplative. “The most ordinary of people are often hiding secrets. The calmest of situations are often lies. The truth is always ugly.” His dark eyes twinkled with slight amusement, “I don’t think it’s a crazy occurrence at all. Your neighbors, the Lee Family, are very influential people. It’s not surprising to think that they would be involved in a scandal. Not to mention, this community is very closed off. Things like this may seem only movie-worthy, yet in reality, you’ll find that it’s actually very common among the rich.” Kibum took a breath, “That is, it’s very common for them to be out of sorts. …is that understandable?”

“Sorry, I’ve never heard you speak that much,” he coughed, eyes wide.

His shoulders shook with silent laughter. “I see.”

Henry felt dread filling him. There was something off already. Why would Kibum give such a long winded explanation? It didn’t make sense. He was prone to explaining things easily or vaguely. Everything that he said just sounded like a plea. “I…hyung, do you know something about the…the, uhm…the girl?” his words trailed off into a whisper, eyes cast down out of fear that he would see something unpleasant in Kibum’s gaze.

Again, silence engulfed the car. The air wasn’t comfortable like usual. It was thick with caution. Henry tried to ignore it, but he seemed to be having a problem.

Everything had been so normal up until he met Kibum. Rather, everything had been normal until he moved to that forsaken neighborhood. Donghae had practically him on sight. And now he could’ve very possibly found a boyfriend in a murderer – or an accomplice of a murderer.

All of sudden, he could clearly see the woman who had been on Kibum’s arm all that time ago. She was last seen with him, right? Who else…who else could it be?

Henry jerked forward, the car having suddenly stopped. His heart raced painfully and he looked up to see Kibum staring at him. All limbs were frozen in place, eyes refusing to blink. “I-I—”

“I love you.”

“What?” Henry felt his blood abruptly rush to his face. The formerly stiff body parts thawed, and then he slumped back against the window, body twisted so he could properly face Kibum.

The latter lowered his gaze for a short moment before lifting his eyes again. “I don’t think I’ve ever felt this attracted to someone. I’m not positive where you’re taking this conversation, but I want to tell you that I’m truly in love – to my knowledge. When you’re near me, I imagine that perhaps I’m not so bad. You make me want to bring the best foot forward, does that make it sense?”

Henry’s head snapped to the window, only then did he notice how far out of town they were. The city skyline was clear in the distance, but before him was an isolated road. “Where are we?” he whispered, not yet answering the confession.

A faint look of hurt flickered across Kibum’s features. “We’re on the outskirts of town. I didn’t know where else to go once I heard you beginning to speak so seriously. But more importantly, please answer me. I hardly think I can hold on.” He tried to smile, but the twinkle in his eye failed to appear.

Henry swallowed hard, hands tightly clenched into fists. “I…I don’t know what I feel. I want to say that I feel what you feel, but…,” he summoned all of the courage he probably ever had, “I need to know what happened that day. I saw you with that woman. The dead woman, right before she was murdered. What happened?”

Once more, the air chilled and Henry watched his life flash before his eyes.

Kibum took a calming breath. “I wanted you because you were so innocent and naïve. Apparently I was incorrect. You’re nosier than I wished.”

Click…

“K-Kibum…?” Henry’s voice cracked.

The one in question placed his finger over the trigger. “I wasn’t lying when I said I hold feelings for you. You’re one of the only people I’ve ever felt this way towards and I don’t feel like losing you quite yet. That’s why I’m willing to give you a choice.” Kibum didn’t smile, but his eyes softened. “You could A) Step out of this car and allow me to end your life. Or B) you could let me take you to my mountain cabin and fall in love with me.”

Henry wasn’t positive if he should be flattered or scared. In his mind, he could already hear Donghae’s snarky retort to those words. He would definitely say something about a melodrama and how much of an overreaction Kibum was making.

Nonetheless, the dramatic man was also holding a very real gun.

“Do you really love me?” Henry asked softly.

Kibum lowered the gun suddenly, clicking the safety. “If I was able to love, I would most likely expect to be in love with someone like you. Can I take this as your answer?”

Lowering his eyes, he nodded slightly. “But wait, tell me, did you kill that woman?” Henry dared a look up.

The older male closed the distance, hand dipping into Henry’s pocket to retrieve the phone that was recording their conversation. “You’re really too cute.” Kibum popped the back off of the device, breaking the SIM card. “But yes, I did kill her. In truth, I’ve killed three people in my life.”

“I…see.”

Kibum tossed the phone out the window, quickly rolling the glass panel back up. “You know, I’ve always had a strong bond with theatrics,” he admitted, one hand running down the boy’s cheek, “That’s probably why I’m absolutely thrilled at the prospect of our new life together.”

The car began rolling again once Kibum had finished speaking. In silence, Henry cried and cried as he felt time move forward, the road ahead of them stretch farther, and the lights of the city fade.