00 - final

No pain no gain [one-shot]

“You are ridiculous!” He screamed at her. “Don’t lie to me, please,” Suri said dragging her eyes off of him. “Look at me!” He screamed again. “I am not sleeping with her,” he said through his gritted teeth. The atmosphere in the living room was very dark. Suri let out a small dark laugh. “Fine,” she said seriously and left the room.

 

“What was so damn fascinating about her? WHAT?” She was continuously asking herself with her hands on the steering wheel. She didn’t even cry. She didn’t have to. The night was so dark and it was raining cats and dogs. The sky did the job of crying for her.
There was a soft vibration on the passenger’s seat. She looked over to where the vibration was coming from. It was her mobile phone in her bag. Suri did a little searching and found her ringing phone. She was tired of seeing that name on the screen. Immediately, she pressed the ´cancel´ button and found another 6 messages. All of them were from him. She deleted the massages in a blink of an eye and opened the car window throwing the phone out. “,” she cursed loudly.

 

Suri came from work two hours sooner than usual. She put her bags on the countertop and made her way to the bedroom for her home wear. It was still an hour before her husband’s arrival. She was walking through a hall in their house, the one that led into their bedroom. She reached for the doorknob and then she heard sounds. These sounds were definitely not coming out from the TV in their bedroom.  She closed her eyes and turned the doorknob. The door opened and she opened her eyes although she didn’t have to.

 

Suri turned the volume up and sped up the car. She didn’t want to kill herself, she wasn’t stupid. This was her way of calming down. She still couldn’t believe she was humiliated by her own husband.  The road was very slippery and wet. It was quite dangerous but she didn’t care. Suri didn’t want to kill herself that was true, but at that time she certainly wouldn’t mind if it somehow happened.

 

She already knew what was going on in their bedroom. In their bed. She saw her husband in their bed with that . He ed his secretary in their own bed. “Suri, I can explain,” he said immediately. “So you are not sleeping with her, I can see that,” she said and turned around ready to leave. “Suri, wait!” He shouted. “She finally knows the truth. Now, come back to bed baby,” she heard another voice coming out from the room. She was disgusted. She ran straight to the bathroom and bended over the toilet.

 

“I love you” she said sarcastically. She reached for the cigarettes in her bag. She didn’t smoke much; she was only an occasional smoker. Maybe she was fooling herself but it helped her before. She looked down to grab the packet when she saw bright lights in front of her car. Panicking, she tore the steering wheel to the right and the car spun around on the road, eventually ending up on all four wheels. Thanks to her seatbelt she only hit her head. It was a pretty hard collision with the steering wheel and she felt the red liquid flowing down her forehead. “Great,” she said and held her head. Her head was pounding and she wanted to smash it against the steering wheel again just to prevent the actual hurt.
Soon there was a loud bang on the car window. She turned her head only to see a man trying to get into the car. She unbuckled her seatbelt and looked at the man. She didn’t see his face clearly but she presumed that it was probably the other driver. He put both hands on the window so he could see inside. Then he saw her. He was quite surprised that she seemed okay. “Are you alright?” He asked. The rain was still very heavy and she heard him very faintly. She nodded her head but the man didn’t leave. “Open the door,” he said again. She hesitated a little bit but she did unlock the door in the end. The man opened the door. He was completely soaked. No wonder he was. “Are you alright?” He asked concerned. She quickly checked herself. “I guess,” she answered. The man exhaled, relieved. “Sorry, I didn’t see you. It’s raining really heavily,” he apologized. Suri didn’t know why. She was sure that she was the one who was on the wrong side of the road. But she only nodded. She wasn’t able to form any proper sentence. Suddenly she felt a warm hand on her forehead. Of course she froze. She didn’t expect anything like this to happen. “You are bleeding,” he stated the obvious fact. The blood already dripped on her jeans. “It’s fine,” she said and tried to smile but failed. “No, let me take you to hospital,” he said. “I said it’s fine,” she repeated her words. “I insist,” he said. “Plus, I doubt you will move this car, it’s pretty damaged,” he said. She knew he was right but somehow she didn’t really want to get into his car. Suri sighed, took her bag and stepped out of the car. He took off his jacket and put it around her shoulders. It wasn’t very helpful but he tried. She followed him into the car on the other side of the road. Once they were in his car she took his jacket off and put it on the back seat. He bended over the driver’s seat and it looked like he was looking for something. “Aish,” she heard from behind. “What are you looking for?” She asked tiredly. “First-aid kit, of course,” he answered calmly. “But I can’t find it. It seems like I really have to take you to the hospital,” he said seriously. She looked at him. Was he serious? “Please don’t,” she said. She knew that if she got into the hospital they would contact her husband. And she did NOT want that. She wanted to be as far away from him as possible. “But you ARE bleeding,” he said again. “It’s only a scratch. Do you have a handkerchief?” She asked. He bended over the seat again and searched through the bags. He handed her a white handkerchief. She opened the window and let the rain soak it. Then she closed the window and put it on her forehead. “See? Problem solved,” she smiled. He only smiled and started the engine. She sunk into the seat and closed her eyes. She was incredibly tired. “By the way, what’s your name?” He asked with his eyes on the road. He waited for a while but she didn’t answer. He turned his head only to see that she has fallen asleep...

 

Her stomach was hurting. It was now empty and she was leaning on the wall next to the toilet. Soon, her husband was bending over to help her stand up. She slapped his hand away and got up by herself. “I’m sorry Suri,” he said. “No, you’re not,” she said angry now. She left the bathroom and took her things from the countertop. “Where are you going?” He asked. “I’m leaving,” she stated and headed to the door when he grabbed her wrist. She turned around and slapped him. “Do.not.touch.me.” She said through her gritted teeth. “Ever again,” she turned around and left the house.

 

Suri furiously opened her eyes and sat straight. She had a dream. No, it was not a dream. It was a reminder from yesterday. The man next to her was startled. “What happened?” He asked. She looked at him realizing she is not alone. The sun was shining now; it was quite high on the sky. It was damn beautiful day. “It’s nothing... Just a dream,” she said. The man looked at her not completely trusting her words. He watched her during her sleep and he could say there was something bothering her. “Alright then. What’s your name?” He asked, hoping she would answer this time. “Sorry, I’m Suri. Kim Suri,” she said offering her hand. “Nice to meet you Suri, I’m Kim Jaejoong,” he shook her hand. Now that it wasn’t night and it wasn’t raining either she finally saw how handsome he is. And she definitely liked the warmth of his hands. Jaejoong noticed that she is looking at him for quite a while. He smiled and coughed. “Sorry,” she murmured looking away from him, ashamed. “It’s alright,” he chuckled. “So, where were you going last night?” He asked. His question surprised her. Where was she going? She didn’t have a clue. “I don’t know. Nowhere to be exact,” she looked at him and smiled. He was quite confused but he decided it would be better to drop this topic. “Where are you from?” He tried to make a conversation but he didn’t know how to start one. That girl was hard to read. “Seoul, you?” She politely asked back. “Well, Seoul. What were you doing so far from your home?” He asked. He thought that maybe he had gone too far but she answered calmly. “Well, running,” she looked at him and smiled. His mouth shaped into ´O´ and he looked away from her. “Are you hungry?” He asked. She was about to answer but she didn’t have to because her stomach answered first. “I see,” he laughed a little. They were in Seoulalready and Suri asked Jaejoong to drop her somewhere. Anywhere. He, on the other side didn’t want to. He felt bad he didn’t even help her AND he wanted to help her. He didn’t know why he just wanted to. Suri seemed like a nice girl to him. He stopped at the roadside and she got out of the car. “Thank you so much, Jaejoong. Thank you so much,” she smiled. Jaejoong liked her smile. And he wanted to see her smile again. “You’re welcome, I’m glad I could help,” he said. She walked away from the car and after a few steps she looked back just to see him still standing there by his car at the side of the road. “Hey, Suri!” He shouted. “Yes?” She shouted back and he signaled her to come closer. So she came back to him. “Yes, Jaejoong?” She asked. “Would you like to... Just...” He stopped. He breathed in a good amount of air. “Would like to stay at my place? Until you find your own. There, I said it,” he scratched the back of his head nervously. She smiled at his childish behavior. She found him incredibly cute. “I don’t want to be a burden,” she said. “You’re not. I live alone and I want to help you,” he said quickly. She thought about it for a while but the truth was she had no place to go to. “Fine,” she said finally and they both got into his car driving to his place. Maybe this was the beginning of something new… Maybe she could be happy this time?


Sorry -.-