Waiting

Waiting

 

Italicized parts are flashbacks that occurred when they were 17. The present is written in Amber’s perspective.

 

He's leaving today...

 

“There's someone drowning! Someone go help!!!” Myungsoo was taking pictures of the beach when he heard an elderly woman cry for help. He immediately put his camera down and ran in the direction that the elderly woman was pointing towards. Rushing out of his shoes he began to swim as fast as he could towards the flailing figure. As he got closer the figure began to disappear, sinking deeper and deeper into the ocean. Without a second thought Myungsoo dove towards the spot where he last saw the drowning person in hopes that they haven't sunken too far down. Luckily, Myungsoo spotted a dark figure in his peripheral vision. Myungsoo grabbed the person by the waist the moment he was in arms reach. “Please be okay” thought Myungsoo. Swimming on his back, Myungsoo carried the person onto shore praying that they were okay the entire time. Myungsoo put the person down and performed CPR immediately. As he pressed down though he realized that the person he had saved was actually a female and began to panic, he wanted to ask another female to help but decided that it may be too late if he were to do that. Myungsoo was on his third chest compression when the female began coughing up the water she drank. Myungsoo sighed a breath of relief when the girl opened her eyes. She was still coughing when she noticed that Myungsoo's hands were on her chest. Seeing the girl's eye look at where his hands were Myungsoo retreats them right away, a slight pink spreading across his cheeks. 

 

I don’t think I can go see him off…

 

                “Um… thank you for saving me the other day.” Myungsoo was at the beach taking pictures again when Amber had approached him, tapping him on the shoulder to get his attention.

                “Ah… Y-y-you’re welcome. It was n-nothing really.” Myungsoo stuttered. Poor kid was still embarrassed at what had occurred that day. His face was once again painted a light shade of pink.

                “Nothing?! Oh no! You saved her life! Amber! Go take the guy out to dinner or something!” Amber’s best friend Henry had appeared out of nowhere, shocking both Amber and Myungsoo. Knowing that his friend had a secret crush on his classmate Myungsoo, Henry decided that he’d help her out. Running towards them, Henry gave Amber a slightly nudge and winked. Flustered, Amber had no idea what to do Amber was about to go along with what Henry had said when Myungsoo said something that made Amber’s heart skip a beat.

                “Oh your name is Amber? That’s a pretty name, suits you. Uh… um… I meant cool name. heh… So uh… dinner? Sounds good to me.” Myungsoo had no idea what was going on with him. He feels like suddenly lost the ability to speak properly. He wasn’t usually like this and he felt extremely stupid for embarrassing himself in front a guy from his guitar class and a girl whom he’s well… he’d rather not talk about it.

                “Um yea, dinner. You go to Seoul High right? How about we meet up after school tomorrow?”  Crap. Thought Amber. Myungsoo had no idea who Amber was; he must think that she’s a stalker or something for knowing that. Amber looked up at Henry and mouthed the words “help me”.

                “Oh yea! The three of us go the same school Myungsoo! I’ve shown Amber some of the songs we did in class together haha. Well anyways, gotta jet, got an audition to attend in ten. Peace out guys” Henry waved goodbye and gave Amber a quick thumbs up before leaving. Amber looked at Henry leave with furrowed eyebrows, not noticing the flash from Myungsoo’s camera.

 

I can’t even imagine a single day without him and he’s leaving for three years…

 

                Staring at the photo of Amber in his hands, Myungsoo officially confirmed that he’s out of his mind. Myungsoo has taken a lot of pictures in his lifetime and that includes females, but no other female has captivated Myungsoo the way Amber does. There’s something special about Amber that Myungsoo can’t quite put his finger on.

 

What if he finds someone else?

 

                “You’re finally going on a date with him Amber! You should put some eyeliner on at least!” Henry brought his little sister’s makeup kit over in an attempt to make Amber look more feminine for her dinner with Myungsoo.

                “No! And it’s just a dinner Henry. Stop making such a big deal out of this!” Amber was feeling rather annoyed and agitated at this point. She doesn’t see why she needs to dress up, she looks fine in her t-shirt and skinnies.

                “You don’t have to pretend in front of me! I know you liiiikkee hiiim! Haha.” Amber has never directly told Henry that she liked Myungsoo but Henry could tell from the way Amber looks whenever Henry mentions Myungsoo when talking about his guitar class.

                “No I don’t! Shut up!” Amber didn’t think that her liking Myungsoo was that obvious. When she opened first opened her eyes after Myungsoo had rescued her, she couldn’t sleep properly for a week. All she could think about was how worried Myungsoo looked. I wonder how he feels about a tomboy like me.

 

Will he miss me? I’ll miss him.

 

                “Myungsoo hyung! You like Amber noona don’t you? You’ve been acting all funny since that dinner you had with her two weeks ago. Just tell her if you do!!!” Sungjong may be young but he could tell that his hyung was falling head over heels for Amber.

                “Hmm what? Sorry I didn’t hear you Sungjong.” Myungsoo mind was preoccupied lately, mainly by thoughts about Amber. Myungsoo can’t get over how cute her big brown eyes are when she smiles, crinkling slightly on the sides or how she pouts when she’s frustrated and the way she ruffles her boy cut when she’s stressed.

                “Never mind hyung, you’re probably just thinking about Amber noona again anyways.” Sungjong was about to head home when Myungsoo finally realized what Sungjong had said.

                “Wait, what?!? YAH! Lee Sung Jong! Who says I’m thinking about Amber?!?”

 

What if he doesn’t come back?

 

                “Mmm, Myungsoo, do you have a few minutes to spare?” Amber was finally going to do it, she’s going to confess. She’s been planning this for two months now.

                “Yep, what is it Amber?” Perfect. Myungsoo has been wanting to tell Amber how he felt for a while now.

                “M-m-myungsoo.. Do you have anybody you’re interested in right now? Cause.. I.. um I.. Well… might.. Um I.” Before Amber was able to finish her sentence, Myungsoo pressed his lips against hers.

                “Does that answer your question?”

 

He means the world to me, do I mean the world to him?

 

                “Ahh! Myungsoo! Stop it, delete that picture!” Myungsoo had left his flash on while taking a picture of Amber while she was studying for her History exam, resulting in him being caught and an “angry” Amber”

                “Call me Oppa first.” Putting his right arm up, Myungsoo used his height as an advantage over the petite Amber. Irritated, Amber poked Myungsoo’s side and snatched the camera from his hands when he brought them down to cover his stomach. Before Amber could delete the picture though, Myungsoo had grabbed hands and wrapped them behind his neck.

                “You know you’re no match for me strength. Call me Oppa.” Myungsoo smirked and gave Amber a quick peck after seeing her adorable pout.

                “Myungsoo Oppa.”

 

He loves me right? I’ve been waiting to hear those three words for so long now.

 

                “Amber, I have something I need to tell you.” After hearing that Amber started to worry about what Myungsoo wanted to say, his facial expression wasn’t exactly very bright.

                “Mmm what do you want to tell me Oppa?” It’s been 16 months since the two have been dating and Amber calls him Oppa regularly now.

                “I got a full scholarship for a three year program in a photography school in the States, I’m leaving in two weeks.” Myungsoo had intended to tell Amber this earlier but he didn’t know how to. He didn’t want to make leaving her a reality by saying this out loud, he himself still wasn’t sure if he would be able to survive without her but this was an opportunity extremely hard to come by.

                “Oh that’s great news Oppa! You’ve always loved photography.” Amber forced a smile on her face, she was still digesting the words that she had heard just now but she knew this was best for Myungsoo.

                “Are you okay with that? I mean I’m going to be gone for three years. You’ll wait for me right?” Myungsoo was starting to panic from how relaxed Amber looked.

                “Yea of course, you should go.” Amber was holding back her tears as she told her boyfriend to go and pursue his dreams. She shouldn’t hold him back.

                “I promise to come back the day I finish my course. I’ll be back in no time.” Three years… it’s not that long right? To say that Myungsoo wasn’t worried would be a lie, he’s afraid that three years would be too long for Amber to wait. How can he ask her to just stay here and wait for him to come back?

               

Getting out of my deep thoughts I realized that I’m standing outside of Myungsoo’s house. He’s probably packing up the last of his things right now… I don’t think I can let him go if I see him right now. I should just go back home.

“Amber! What are you doing out here? Aren’t you gonna go in?” Oh Henry, you always know when to show up don’t you?

“Uh what? Yea.. I was just about to knock.” I put my hand up and was about to knock when door opened. Myungsoo is standing right in front of me with his luggage in his right hand.  I can’t do this. Tears began to fill my eyes as I start to run without a destination in mind.

“Amber! Wait!” I can hear Myungsoo yelling my name but I can’t stop. I can’t look at him right now, if I saw his face again I wouldn’t be able to let him go. I’d end up asking him to stay and ruin everything.

“AMBER JOSEPHINE LIU! STOP!” I froze immediately and soon felt Myungsoo pull me into a tight embrace.

“Amber, I never got to tell you this and I have to tell this to you in person right now okay?” I can hear the shakiness in his voice. Myungsoo’s crying, he’s crying and it’s all because of me.

“Amber, I love you.” What? Did he just… Myungsoo loves me?

“ I love you so much, you mean everything to me. I’ll call you every day okay? I’ll be back in three years and when I come back I better not see you with someone else! You got that? Just please wait for me okay? Amber, I love you.”