To Let Go

I know.

Thick liquid trailed down her arms and touched the ground, leaving patches that stained the white marble floor. The blinding colour contrasted itself so well with the pure whiteness. She smiled bitterly to herself as she watched the dark velvet colour flow from where the sharp glass pierced her own flesh. She stared at the patches in wonder; it was so red and bright. A colour she rarely saw in her dull life. Only two colours existed when she met him, the love of her life, or so she thought. Black and White.

Her hot tears spilled from her eyes, all the pain she had been trying to conceal, all the tears she had been trying to hide and the reality she tried so hard to avoid hit her hard. And for just that moment....all she wanted was to cry. She didn’t want to fake her happiness anymore because she never smiled when she had witnessed the show that was so smoothly prepared for her.

He stepped into their house, happy that everything was going his way. He called out her name, only to be met with silence until he stepped into the kitchen...where he saw the dining table lit with candles. He frowned, was there something he had forgotten about? But his thoughts were interrupted when his eyes trailed towards the kitchen where his girl sat emotionless, blood flowing from her arm. His eyes widened in shock.

He immediately rushed towards her side and shook her, asking her if she was alright and if she was hurt elsewhere. He gave her a once over and quickly dashed for the first aid kit. He attended to her wound while nagging at her clumsiness. She smiled. How much longer would she be able to witness this side of him? He lifted her off the ground and into the living room, laying her on the black leather couch. She remained motionless as he headed back to the kitchen to clean up the mess. He approached her after he had finished. His sleeves rolled up and his hand holding a cup of warm milk. It had always helped her calm down, oddly enough.

“I know....” were her only words as she stared into the eyes that she once fell for, shock and confusion were evident within them.

"What do you mean?” came his calm reply, that sweet voice that was once music to her ears. She shook her head, a droplet of crystal clear saline solution flowed down her cheeks as she smiled sadly.

“What’s wrong Minji-ah? What do you mean by you know?” he questioned, his voice frantic. For some reason, guilt was gnawing at the back of his head. For some reason, he had a clue as to what she meant but he didn’t want to admit it....

He had been cheating on her with another girl whom he had met at a club for around three months. She gave him a different feeling that his two years girlfriend didn’t. The adrenaline rush that cursed through his body whenever he snuck out to go on dates with her and knowing that he was lying to everyone around him.....he loved that feeling. It felt refreshing to him and he knew it was wrong but he had an attraction towards this particular girl. He never knew that his experiment with his feelings could dawn on him. He felt scared. Scared that he might actually lose this woman whom he knew, deep in his heart, that he still loves. He stared at her, her eyes swollen, nose pink and lips chapped...how long had she been crying?

The guilt within his heart became heavier by the second as he continued to observe the love of his life in front of him...she looked so lost and it scared him. He slowly embraced her, kissing the top of her head but she was unmoving....not eager to respond to his touches but she flinched instead. He frowned at her reaction and hugged her even tighter but that only resulted in her pushing him away. “Don’t touch me!” she screamed, her cries ringing throughout the apartment. She felt dirty. Dirty and disgusted to know that his arms, his lips and his whole body had wrapped themselves around another woman. And it wasn’t just a woman. It was a certain someone she knew all too well.

He stared at her....his instincts telling him that she knew about his doings. He widened his eyes in shock...how? He had ensured that he had cleaned himself before he went home and that their secret meetings were kept to the lowest profile possible.

D-d-do you know....that....I’ve....” he stuttered as he shook slightly. She laughed, her sarcastic and accusing laugh.

“Know you’ve been what?” she questioned as she stood from the couch, her back facing him.

“That you’ve been lying to me? That you’ve been cheating on me? That you’ve been ing another girl behind my back? That the girl you’ve been so eager to see is one of the cousins I hate the most? That you two met at a club? WHAT DO I NOT EN KNOW LEE TAEMIN?!” she yelled as she turned to look at him straight in the eyes.

The pair of eyes that were once filled with love, passion and happiness was gone. Only pain, anger and sadness were dawned in them.

He sat frozen and his tears burned his eyes. She knew. She had known all along. He shook his head, not wanting to believe the reality.

“H-how?” he croaked. Her forced laughter rang in his ears.

How? Is that all you want to tell your girlfriend of two years after being caught? Wow I never knew I was THAT important to you” she said bitterly as she began to walk away, heading to her room to pack up her belongings and leave.

While he continued to sit frozen, oblivious to his surroundings as he let her words replay themselves, replaying like the announcements made at a train station. His head was spinning but that was when he realised she was out of his sight. His heart sank and he immediately stood up, his hoarse voice screaming out for her name as his legs began to push him to walk, to find her. Her sobs from in their room brought him to her.

His heart quenched when he saw her holding their picture as she cried, droplets after droplets fell onto the glass frame. He slowly walked up to her, trying to make as little sound as possible. He wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. She tensed but didn’t protest as his voice whispered his apologies. She only cried harder but this time, he cried with her. His hot tears soaked her shirt and he was here. It wasn’t like the other days when she would cry herself to slumber. Someone was here with her, he was. As their cries faded, darkness slowly engulfed the both of them as he held her close to him.

They lay wrapped in each others’ arms as their breathing slowly became stable. “Please, just give me another chance. Just one chance. I love you Minji-ah...” he thought as he gazed at her.

To have met you was like a dream. To have experienced something more than friends felt so surreal. To have witnessed something I shouldn’t was like a nightmare.  And to have you next to me, arms wrapped tightly around me feels like a fantasy. I love you Taemin-ah...” she thought as darkness slowly consumed her.

He woke up to feel emptiness and coldness, the warmth he felt last night was gone. He bolted out of bed. The sinking of his heart repeated itself as he searched the apartment.

“She’s gone...She’s gone...She’s gone...She’s gone...” he chanted quietly to himself. Hot liquid blurred his sight as he tried to remain calm but he fell down to his knees....sobbing as he repeated her name.

She, who had hid behind a door, slowly opened the barrier. She watched his movements as her already swollen eyes filled itself once again with the saline solution. It broke her heart to see what was happening right in front of her but her heart had already been broken. And nothing, nothing would mend it back to its original state. She shook her head slightly, clamping one hand over to quiet down her sobs...it felt so painful to have caught and confront him yet it was even more painful to let go. To let go of what she once thought was true love and the man she would share her memories with.

“I guess our love just wasn’t enough to hold you down Taemin-ah... Even if I gave you another chance....it doesn’t show that you won’t do what you did again...and my mended heart will have a scar which will remain for eternity. Nothing, nothing would erase the scar which holds the story. The story behind our love and what we shared. I love you Taemin-ah”