First Chapter

Lucky Charm

    

As the alarm clock rings, there goes me growling again, I don't want to wake up. Uhhhh, this is usual, every saturday, uhhhh. I want to have a hard earned sleep for studying for a week. I might consider ignoring the alarm today. I just want me time with me and my precious bed.

"Jaeri-ah! Wake up! It's almost 10AM! You'll be late for your schedule today!" my mom said as she cooks. The usual routine of my mom is to prepare me breakfast in the morning while shouting at me from the kitchen to wake me up. A sudden realization hit me when I heard what my mom said. I quickly stood up and rushed to go downstairs. What has gotten into me? I forgot about my part-time job!

'It's already 10AM?! My shift is on 10:30AM! OMG! OMG! OMG!' I thought to myself and went near my mom and kissed her goodbye.

"Bye Mom! No need to prepare me anything. I'm going to be late for my first day at work," I said as I rushed to get all the stuff I need for the first day of work.

"Sure honey, but don't forget this packed lun-"

"I'm sorry mom, I'm in a bit of a hurry," I said cutting what my mom is saying. I rushed to the door while getting my shoes on. I'm so dead.

'Hmmm, my first day at my part time job. Will things go okay? I hope so. They say that the owner of that restaurant is the same as my age. Wonder what he/she looks like,' I thought as I walk towards the coffee shop where I will start my first day at work.

As I opened the door, I greeted them all with the smile. I looked at the time and THANK GOD, I wasn't late. 'Maybe rushing isn't a bad thing after all?' I thought to myself. I went directly to the boss's room, completely clueless on what's going to happen or what I should do on my first day of work.

"Good morning!" I said as I went in the room and bowed to him.

"Hmmm, so you're Shin Jaeri?" He said as he motioned me closer, "Okay then, I'm your boss, Mr. Gong Chan Sik." He stood up and motioned for a hand shake. My boss really is the same age as I am. Wow, he even got his hair blonde.

"Okay Shin Jaeri, I'll be introducing you what you'll be working with," Mr. Gong Chan Sik said and guided me through every room introduced the basics and instructed me on what to do. I wasn't really much paying attention. I was looking at him all the time. I do find him attractive. The way he looks at me. I think I'm melting.

"Shin Jaeri, is this clear with you?" He said, finally finishing all the instruction.

"I got it Mr. Gong," I said, beaming a smile to my VERY handsome boss.

"If you need me I'll be in my office. Don't hesitate to talk to me," he said and finally went to his office. Gosh, that 30 minutes with him, hmmmm, I THINK I'M IN LOVE WITH MY BOSS!

So with that, I started my work. I followed every instructions he gave and the result is? Of course! It was a success! Very much success! HA! My first day at work is going good.

 


 

After going back to the office, I went directly to my seat. Continuing with the filing and papers needed to be done for the coffee shop. It was a usual weekend, where he starts to file up things, and do the weekly report that my mom annoys him to do. My phone rang, getting me completely out of my concentration. It's my mom, again. Why is she calling every minute? It annoys me. My mom doesn't trust me on anything. Even if she was the one who said I'll be handling the coffee shop. She's a perfectionist, she wanted everything under her control and organized the way she manages everything.

"Hello, mom," I answered the phone with rather an annoying voice to start. I know where this is going, a riot is about to start.

"WHY DID YOU HIRE A NEW EMPLOYEE AGAIN?! DIDN'T I TELL YOU NOT TO! GONG CHANSIK! YOU BETTER FIRE HER OR ELSE...," blah blah blah, is non-stop. She gave me this job, I should take care of it myself. It stressed me out hearing my mom shout at me from the other side of the line. I massaged my temples, hoping that her blobbering would soon stop.

"Mom, the new employee is working hard, and I see she has a lot of progress. I don't get the reason why I need to fire her," I said in a calm voice, trying to make my mom calm down.

"Fine, I'll be going to the restaurant and fire her," My mom said and hang the phone.

"Mom?! MOOM?! MMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!" I shouted. Almost everyone could here it outside. No, not again. This is what I hate from her. Everything I reinforce to this coffee shop does not get approved. Am I not someone independent enough to make own decisions for this shop? I must prevent her.

There was a knock at my door and there enters Shin Jaeri.

"Uhhhmmm, are you okay Mr. Gong?" She said as she bowed infront of me.

I smiled as I replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me, it's just a lot of stress piling up." I then continued,  "Oww, and by the way, have a break we'll have a talk." I don't know why I'm doing this, but maybe to avoid him from my mom. This is stressing me a lot, why am I doing this?

 


 

After hearing the loud shout of Mr. Gong inside his office, I got a little worried. Was it because of me or something else came up? Gosh. So I decided to go in and ask him if everything's fine. This is what good employees do right?

"Uhhhmmm, are you okay Mr. Gong?" I querried as I bowed in front of him.

He then smiled at me and replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me, it's just a lot of stress piling up." I then continued,  "Oww, and by the way, have a break we'll have a talk." 

That's weird, my boss wants me to take a break. Wow. What's with him? Is he gonna me?! No!

"Uhhhmmmm, Mi-Mr. Gong," I stuttered with my question. I was really thinking that he would me. I mentally slapped myself at the stupid imagination I have. But what am I to think if he wanted me to have a break during work hours?

"Hmmm, y-yess?" he replied with his uncalmed voice. It got me more scared. What if what I'm imagining is true? That can't be!

"What d-do y-you want to t-talk about? W-why give me a b-break?" I said, still stuttering.

"Owww, I forgot about that, HAHA, I don't know why. Just stay here okay? Don't leave," he said, uneased and went out of the room.

'What the hell?! I'm alone here! It's scarier when I'm alone!' I thought to myself, eyeing every corner of the room, mentally panicking at myself on what will happen to me. Call me paranoid, but I just want myself to be safe at all times.

 


 

I rushed outside the office as soon as I heard my mom's car parked. I better go to my mom and prevent her from firing her. Well, I really don't know why I'm doing this or what I would do to prevent her. 'It's getting a little complicated now,' I thought to myself as my head gets a little throb from all the worries I'm getting within the day. I walked towards the exit and there opens the door. My mom is here.

"Where's the new employee?!" my mom shouted, getting attention from all customers and employees alike. The aura she's radiating is intimidating, and makes you obey what she wants. But not for me, I'm so used to what my mom would do. I just hope no commotions would ever be done today. It's the reputation of the coffee shop to the customers I utmost care about, and that isn't something my mom fully understands.

"Mom, please stop. I'll handle this by my own. Please, let me handle the business on my own," I said to my mom, trying to calm her down but in a tone of annoyance. I really got irritated this time. She always say this and say that. She wants to control this coffee even if she gave me power to operate this coffee shop.

"NO!-" she said but I quickly interrupted her.

"Mom, if you want to handle this coffee shop, then fine. You really didn't want me to work with this freaking coffee shop. Besides, it's yours. I have no fortune to have it. I'm a nobody, so take it," I said angrily, shocking all the people witnessing the event. I never thought that I'll do it to my mom, but I really got mad. My mom was dumbfounded. I went inside the office, frustrated.

 


 

As I'm inside Mr. Gong's office, I got so curious about the noise outside. What was it all about? As sneaky as I was, I opened the door and peeked. I saw a lady, a strong-looking lady, having an argument with Mr. Gong. 'What is happening outside?' I asked myself as I continue to overhear their fuming conversation.

"Mom, if you want to handle this coffee shop, then fine. You really didn't want me to work with this freaking coffee shop. Besides, it's yours. I have no fortune to have it. I'm a nobody, so take it," oh my gosh, judging from the conversation that they're having, I'm guessing that the lady is Mr. Gong's mother! Why are they fighting? Family matters? Business problems? Or is it because of me? Was this going to be my first and last day at the coffee shop? Hopefully not.

I saw Mr. Gong walking towards the office. I quickly closed the door and sat on the chair, hoping that he didn't see me peeking through the door. You wouldn't know, maybe extra trouble is going to happen if he sees me peeking at their conversation.

Mr. Gong, fumed by anger, entered the office. His face is full of anger as he slammed the door after entering. I got startled with the gesture, I don't know what to do. He slowly aproached me, trying to calm himself. Massaging rather more vigorously the temples at his head, facial expressions full of stress.

"I'm sorry you got into this mess. But you're dismissed," He said blankly.

"Dismissed? Am I fired?" I said, judging from the arguments I heard earlier.

"What?! No! No! Just have the rest of the day off," he said looking to me like there's no tomorrow.

"But why ? I'm not yet--" I said but I was immediately interrupted by him.

"Just leave," I just followed.

 


 

As I entered the door to my house, my mom greeted me with a smile. An aromatic smell coming from the kitchen, my mom's cooking delicious food for dinner for sure. As soon as I neated myself up and helped my mom in preparing the dinner table, I was feeling the exhaustion that piled up from the work he had today,

"How's your first day at work Jaeri? Finding it hard?" My mom said, putting a bowl of Kimchi Jjiggae at the dining table.

"No, not at all, especially when I'm at work with a handsome boss," I giggled with my response. Yep, he made my day. But I suddenly frowned when I remembered what happened earlier.

My mom laughed at me and said, "Jaeri-ah. It must have been hard to do chores while staring at your boss all day."

"But I guess he isn't happy.." I said to my mom.

"Why sweetheart? Did something happen?" she asked, giving a worried look on her face.

"Uhhh, nothing mom! Let's eat!" I said, avoiding that topic. I just don't want to judge the argument that I have witnessed between Mr. Gong and his mom. 'I sure hope Mr. Gong would be fine' I thought to myself. I was goddamn worried about him, I don't even know why. Well, is it part of my job to worry about my boss?

"Alright sweetheart. Eat up, food is better eaten when its hot," said my mom, and continued to tell me the things that happened during her day.