Christmas proposal

Christmas proposal [A gift oneshot]

It was just a few hours before Christmas… there were huge Christmas trees with lots of lights standing proudly on the street, Santa Clauses walking around town giving gifts to random people in the street, Christmas carols playing everywhere and piles of snow on top of everything that can be seen…

 A girl wearing a long brown trench coat stood in the middle of the snow covered street… staring at two kids giggling in front of a candy store…the boy seemed to be excited about something while the girl beside him just smiled…

She placed her freezing hands inside her coat pockets and buried herself in her wool scarf before starting to walk away from the happy and busy streets. Her every step was heavy and tears slowly streaming down her face in contrast to the happy atmosphere all around her.

4 days ago

“Kerry!”

She turned and saw her best friend who was running full force with a grin on his face. He stopped in front of her and panted, holding his knees for support…

“Bang Cheolyong, why are you late… again?”

“It’s Mir… Mir!!!”

The girl glared and crossed her arms, ignoring the fact that her hands are ice cold… “Fine. Mir. Care to explain why you were late?”

Mir smiled sheepishly and scratched his head, “we were called in for a meeting by president-nim before the christmas holidays… I was planning to escape but manager hyung was guarding the door. I’m sorry… I’ll make it up to you, I promise”

Kerry sighed and placed her freezing hands back into the warm comforts of her coat and the boy instantly knew he was forgiven. He smiled and took one of the girl’s hands into his and started running, dragging the poor girl with him.

“Come on! There are a lot of things we need to do!”

Kerry looked at their linked hands and blushed… secretly thanking the fact that the scarf she was wearing covers half of her face else he would see how red she has gotten. Kerry wanted to ask where they were going or what they were going to do but her heart secretly wished for the giddy feeling to stay.

While Kerry’s heart and head was having an internal battle, Mir stopped in front of the park they used to play with when they were young. He pulled Kerry to the nearest bench, a serious expression on his face.

“Kerry… we’ve been best friends for some time and I know I can tell you everything…”

Kerry felt like her heart would be bustling out of her chest soon. She cleared and lightly tapped on her best friend’s leg to continue. Mir smiled and softly said…

“Well…you see… I’m in love with this girl and I want to finally confess but I would need your help.”

Kerry thought she heard her heart shatter.

3 days ago

“Remind me again why you need to confess exactly on Christmas?”

Mir watched the falling snow as he took a sip of his coffee before answering, “cause its more romantic.”

Kerry chose to stay silent and continued drinking her hot choco. Her best friend finished his coffee with one big gulp and threw the cup to the waste bin. Kerry followed suit and threw the cup to the waste bin as well. Mir then removed some snow from his arms and stretched, “okay… we have the place sorted out and we bought lots of decorations already…”

Kerry glared at the smiling young man, “you mean… you bought lots of mistletoes…”

Mir laughed out loud and Kerry shook her head, “I gotta use the occasion to my advantage… right?”

“Whatever. So where are we going now?”

The young man stopped laughing and a soft smile now graced his face, “to the jewelry store… I need to buy her something.”

Kerry nodded and this time she thinks she heard her already shattered heart break… again.

 

2 days ago

“You’re going to cook for her?!”

Mir raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms, “yeah why?”

“You honestly have the guts to ask me why?!?!”

“But you look like you enjoy eating the food I cook everytime!”

Kerry pouted and murmured, “But that’s only cause I love you even though you at cooking…”

Mir tore his eyes off the cookbook and stared weirdly at his bestfriend, “did you say something?”

Kerry let out an awkward laugh, “I said its my duty as your best friend to eat the things you cook”

 

Yesterday

“What kind of flowers?”

Kerry sighed exasperatedly and fought the urge to whack her best friend on the head, “why do I have to decide about the flowers too? I’ve already picked out the venue, the food, even the gift you will give her!”

“But I don’t know anything about this!”

“Mir listen, I don’t think my personal choices would make any difference. You should be asking her or any of her close friends…”

Kerry looked up and came face to face with her bestfriend’s puppy dog look. She felt her heart sink a little more and she thought, “The hell… my heart has already been shattered anyway…”

“Fine! Choose white roses!”

Mir looked at the white roses and smiled, “white roses got it! I’ll talk to the florist so they can deliver the fresh flowers tomorrow… I’m so excited!”

“Mir…you’re happy right?”

“Of course! If everything goes according to my plan, the girl I love would be mine tomorrow! Uh by the way Kerry, you need to be there by 8 in the evening okay?”

Kerry raised an eyebrow and rubbed her cold arms, “Why?”

Mir removed his jacket and draped it over Kerry’s shoulders, “because I want you to… and you should have worn something warmer. You know you get cold easily…tsk”

“I don’t know, Mir… I-…”

Mir stomped his foot like a child having a tantrum and whined, “No! You will come! I want you to be there!”

Kerry sighed and nodded…

 “I think I’m developing masochistic characteristics…”