The Real Mystery Begins Here

SHINee Sherlock: A New Case

“We should go back to that museum,” Jonghyun mused, almost to himself.  Key looked at him with questioning eyes.  “If we want to know  who she is, we should go back.  If she’s a ghost, she probably inhabits in the museum.”

“HYUNG!” Key whimpered.  “Stop with the ghost stories!  I can’t stand those!”  Jonghyun looked at Key and chuckled.  He put his arm around Key’s shoulder and hugged him.  Key pouted and said, “Jonghyun hyung, you’re so mean to me.”

“Miahn,” Jonghyun said with an apologetic smile.

“Hyung,” Taemin said as he adjusted the leash and collar on his dog.  “What makes you think she inhabits in the museum?”

“Well,” Jonghyun cleared his throat.  “That’s typical in ghost movies and stories.”  After a groan from Key, Jonghyun continued.  “She seemed to know her way around the museum and the article looks like she was the founder, maybe.  We could always try and see what’s up.”  Taemin nodded his head and sratched the dog’s ears.

“Let’s go!” Minho said as he stood up.  “I want this problem solved so Key won’t sleep with nightmares of ghosts taunting him.”  Onew laughed as he got up and followed his team into their car.  “You know,” Minho said as they drove towards back to the museum.  “That lady was really pretty.”

“Puahah!!!!!!  What the hell, hyung!” Taemin burst laughing.  “Hyung is falling for a ghost?  Oh god, that’s hilarious.”  Minho shot him a glare and lightly knocked on his dongsaeng’s head. 

“Yah, don’t mock me!” Minho retorted.  “I just said she was pretty.  I wonder who she is.”

“Minho probably likes her because she stared right at him.  Tell me, did she give you those seductive eyes?” Jonghyun teased.  Minho scowled back.  "Haha, I’m just joking.  I admit, she was pretty entrancing and her look was captivating.  Let’s not get too into this woman.  After all, we just assume she’s a ghost.  We can’t fall for a ghost.  We’re detectives, for crying out loud.”  The rest of the members agreed.  They pulled up to a curb by the museum and all scurried out and dashed silently inside.

“What’s wrong?” Taemin asked his dog.  The dog suddenly growled as they went inside.  “You didn’t growl yesterday, boy.  Is someone here?  Do you smell the ghost?  Hyung!  Something’s not right!”

“Wae?” Key said as he looked at the white dog.  “Aish, he’s just being a dog.  Dogs growl at small little things for no reason.  He might just be growling at a rat lurking around or something, you know?”  Key dismissed the dog’s constant growl and walked back towards near where the missing jewelry were found.  “Something should be a clue here.”

“Then let’s go inside,” Minho said as he lightly pushed Key into the swiveling wall and disappeared.  Inside Minho and Key looked around.  “I don’t think many would be here.  I mean, it’s so tiny and narrow; how could you find anything hidden here?  It’s all out here.”

Jonghyun popped his head inside.  “That dog won’t shut up.  I think we should really do something about it.  He’s usually a quiet dog.  If he’s growling, something’s up.  We shouldn’t neglect his opinions either.” Jonghyun said with a slight frown.  The three went over to where Taemin and Onew were.  The dog was now barking and dragging Taemin towards the stairs.

“Easy now!” Taemin said and he tried to restrain the dog from dashing up the stairs.  “Yah!  Quit it!  We can’t be searching for random rodents that might be attacking the attic.  Suddenly, Taemin’s grip on the leash slipped and the dog sprinted up the steps like lightning.  “Aish!  Stupid me!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Onew said as he shook his head.  “Stupid you.  You should train him better or tighten your grip.”  Onew ran up the stairs.  Minho helped Taemin up and they ran up too.  Jonghyun and Key remained in the main floor and continued looking around. 

Suddenly, Key screamed and Jonghyun spun around and dashed towards him.  “Key!” Jonghyun said as he ran.  “Where are you?  What’s wrong?”  He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Key staring at the top of the stairs. 

At the top of stairs was a woman, dressed in white, smiling down at Key and Jonghyun.  Her long brown hair rested on her shoulders and her pale face seemed to glow.  She took slow steps towards them.  Jonghyun couldn’t move his legs.  Key was pale as a ghost.  The woman walked down and was now at eye level with the two of them.  She reached out her hand, almost to touch Key’s face, but then disappeared.  Key gave a short yelp and backed up slowly.  Jonghyun grabbed Key by the shoulders.

“H-h-hyung,” Key stammered.  “Did you just see what I saw?”  Jonghyun nodded and stared at the petrified boy’s face.  “Sh-sh-she… was about to grab my face… I-i-…  H-H-HYUNG SHE’S BEHIND YOU!”  Jonghyun spun and saw that same woman smiling and looking at Jonghyun.  She started to laugh a little; a twinkling sound came out and she disappeared again.  “I wanna get out!”

“No!” Jonghyun said.  “We came so far, we need to solve it.”  Jonghyun looked up and saw Onew, Minho, Taemin, and the dog looking at them.  “Guys?” he asked.  He walked towards them, but all four disappeared.  This  time, it was Jonghyun to scream in fright.

“They’re ghosts too?!?!?!?” Key cried.  “MY TAE BABY!”  Jonghyun’s knees wobbled a little and he tried to recover from what he saw. 

Suddenly, a woman’s voice echoed in the museum.  “Come upstairs,” the voice twinkled.  Jonghyun shuddered and Key felt a chill in his spine.  “If you want to see your team, come upstairs.”

“C’mon, Key,” Jonghyun said with a quivering voice.  He tried to be manly as possible but he felt like a scared child.  “Let’s go.  I need to see if they’re okay.  We just saw them disappear in front of us.  They can’t be dead!  They just can’t!”  He grabbed Key’s wrist and ran upstairs.  “Hyung!  Minho!  Taemin!”

The three turned around and smiled.  The dog looked up and cocked its head to one side.  “Hyung,” Taemin said with a smile.  “You’re sweating like a beast and white as a ghost.”

“Yah,” Key piped up.  “I had a heart attack.  I saw your ghosts!”  Onew, Minho, and Taemin all laughed making Key and Jonghyun confused.“Hyung!  Minho!  Taemin!”

“It was cool right?” Taemin said with a laugh.  “It’s a projector.  It was still hot when we came here.  So someone is definitely here.  Judging that the projector showed our image, we can assume that the ‘ghost’ is actually a real person.”  Jonghyun dropped his jaw and so did Key.  Both were amazed.

“So,” Jonghyun started.  “If the projector was hot when you got here, and the woman is NOT a ghost, rather a real person…”

“THEN SHE’S STILL IN THE MUSEUM!” Key hollered.  Onew nodded and before he could say a word, the diva continued on.  “Let’s go!  If she’s still here, we can still catch her!”  Key dashed first and Taemin with his dog followed right behind his heels.  Onew, Minho, and Jonghyun too, ran down to keep up with the diva.  As they approached the bottom of the steps, someone was waiting at the bottom.

“Who are you?” called Onew.  The person, a girl, turned around and looked at them.

“I thought a ghost would scare you off.  Tch, you should leave,” the girl said.  “You’re too curious and nosy.  Get out of this museum!”

“Hey,” Minho said cautiously.  “Don’t get upset.  No need to get fired up.  We’re not going to do anything.  We’re only here for a personal reason.  What are your reasons being here?”  Minho smiled hoping that his charismatic smile would calm her.  However, it did not.  It only made her narrow her eyes at him.

“Get out of this museum.” the girl said coldly.  “I only needed you to find that jewelry that belonged to my deceased sister.  Those images were her face, but my actions.  I made so that it looks like a ghost.  I left those clues so you can find that jewelry.  No one would believe me about that secret passage on the wall so I used my sister.  I couldn’t push the door myself so I needed strong guys like you to do it.  And you did.  Your job is done.  So leave.”

SHINee looked at the girl and silence.  “Your sister is Jessica Jung?  The deceased woman?” Jonghyun askedquietly.  The girl nodded and looked away.  “I’m sorry to hear.”

“It’s alright.  It’s be best if you leave.” the girl stubbornly said.  I don’t need nosy people like you going around this old museum.”

“Alright,” Onew said. “We’ll leave.  We’re sorry we intruded.  We were just so curious.”  SHINee turned to leave.  As they exited the dog barked twice and Taemin turned around back into the lobby of the museum. 

“Hyung!” Taemin said.  He dashed back in an picked up a small circular, red object.  “This looks like one of the clues that helped us find the jewelry.  But this one has a ‘K’ on it.”  SHINee gathered around and looked at the small object that was resting on the maknae’s hand.  “What does that mean?”

“I guess some things just remain a mystery,” Jonghyun said as he scratched his head.  “The mystery of Miss Jessica and her little sister will remain a mystery.”

SHINee retreated to their homes where they were all in deep thought.  Mysteries are solved all the time, but some things just need to remain a secretive mystery.  And that’s what SHINee did; they left it a mystery.