Five

Closely Far Away (Tomorrow)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 months have passed and it is now May, only a month left before their move to Korea. The duo starts to pack things that needed to be shipped, just so they could be ready this early.

After packing up things from Nabi’s room, they both go to Tiffany’s room. 

“Nabi-yah, are you okay? Not tired yet?” She asks her daughter.

“I’m fine, omma. I want to help so we can be faster.” Nabi replies and Tiffany kisses the forehead of her daughter.

As Tiffany was going through her closet and arranging clothes she wanted to bring, Nabi was going through her drawers when she suddenly saw a light pink box with stickers on it. As all kids are, she opened the box out of curiosity. She was greeted by papers, small notebooks, cds, and some photographs. 

Nabi held the photos up and squinted her eyes, “Huh?” she says in a whisper. She continues to look at the photo until she figures out who the other person with her mom was. 

Then she finally asks, “Omma, is this who I think it is?” 

“Huh? Who?” Tiffany turns around and she gasps. 

“Where did you find that?” She goes to her daughter and gets the photo.

“Well from this box.” Nabi points out the box full of things. “Well omma, is that who I think it is?” She asks again as Tiffany was still looking at the photo.

She looks at her daughter, “Well who do you think it is?”

“Isn’t this THE Kim Taeyeon?” Nabi emphasized wholeheartedly, “Why do you have so many photos together? Was she your friend, omma?”

“Well… I guess the secret is out then! We were friends, Nabi-yah. We used to train together and were about to debut as idols, but things happened and she went solo while I went into acting.”

Nabi opens with a big O shape, shocked at this revelation. She rummages through the box again and shows a CD labeled “태태 & 파니” to her mom. “What about this omma? Why does it say Taetae and Pani? Are these songs you sang together?”

I love my daughter but sometimes, I wish she was less inquisitive when it comes to things like thid. I could never keep so many secrets to her when she finds out the tip of the iceberg. She thought to herself.

“Omma, are you okay?” Nabi asks, cutting her mother’s inner monologue.

“Huh? Yeah. Well, I forgot what these are but they might be some practice songs we did. We probably wanted to check how we sounded.” Tiffany answers, hoping that her daughter won’t ask more because it did contain songs they worked on together, years ago.

“Oh. Do you still talk to one another omma? Just like my imos in Korea?”

“Well, we haven’t talked in many years.” She says the truth.

“Oh. I’m not sure what happened but, I hope you could give her these, omma. It’s nice to look at memories, like what I love to do!” Tiffany silently thanks the gods as Nabi stops questioning. However, she thinks of doing what her daughter said. Not now though.

“Are you sure it’s not because you want to meet her?” Tiffany eyes her daughter jokingly. 

Her daughter’s eyes widened upon hearing that, “You caught me omma! Of course that’s one of the reasons. But I would also like to hear you duet with her. That would be amazing!” Nabi says excitedly, as if she was seeing it play on her mind already.

Tiffany chuckles at that thought. “Come on, let’s continue packing” She says, ruffling her daughter’s hair.

Tiffany was woken by an attack of kisses on her face. She opens one of her eyes and sees Nabi at her side, “Happy Mother’s Day, Miyoung omma!”

Tiffany chuckles at her daughter’s antics and pulls her into a hug and says, “Thank you, Nabi. I wouldn’t be celebrating this day without you. I love you.”

She feels her daughter flinch, “Is everything okay, baby?” 

Her daughter nods and hands her an all white card, while she sits up to properly look at it. Upon opening it, she was greeted by a pop-up bouquet card filled with paper flower cut-outs. At the side, there was a drawing of a mother and a child with the words, “Thank you for having me and loving me with all your heart, Miyoung omma. Happy Mother’s Day. I love you.”

Tiffany tears up and turns to her daughter upon reading it. “Please don’t cry, omma. Happy Mother’s Day.” Nabi smiles brightly at her mom.

“How could I not cry at this? It’s so beautiful. I am so thankful for you, my love.” She kisses the top of her daughter’s head and hugs her tightly. 

“Come on now, let’s get ready and visit Haeun omma.” 

“Happy Mother’s Day, Haeun-omma. Thank you for loving me a lot. Omma told me you love Asters so I picked this bouquet for you.” She places the flowers at the side of her mother’s niche.

Tiffany crouches down and starts to speak. “I wanted to give you this when you were older, because that was Haeun’s wish but, since we’re moving to Korea, I’m giving this to you now.”

She opens a small box with a butterfly necklace on it. “This is a necklace your mom always wore.” Tiffany puts the jewelry on her daughter. “There you go.” Nabi inspects the butterfly pendant and sees the letter “ㅎ” engraved on it’s back. She looks at Tiffany and squeezes her hands. 

“We’re leaving America in a month, omma. I can’t visit you at times now, but thank you for this. I will always keep it with me.” The younger girl looks at her mother’s photo and says, “I’ll always think of you, Haeun omma. Please look after us. I miss you and I love you.”

Tiffany pats her daughter’s shoulders and keeps her close to her. “You heard Nabi, Haeunie. I’ll take care of our daughter, yeah? Happy Mother’s Day to you, Haeun. Thank you for trusting me to be this little one’s mother too. We miss you.”

Nabi looks at her mom while she holds the pendant, “Thank you for keeping this for me, Omma. Happy Mother’s Day to the both of you.” 

—-

The day of their flight to Korea came. Jongwon drove them to the airport together with Halmoni and the twins. Jongwon insisted that he would do it for them so everyone could say bye to them. Tiffany obliged to this as it would also be nice to let the kids bond and spend more time with Halmoni before they go. Goodbyes and tears were exchanged before they went in.

“We’ll see you soon, Nabi. Appa told us we might visit Korea during

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter