Final

Lonely Rings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Five years ago.

 

It was cold. Winter was coming early. People could find squirrels somewhere in between heavy fogs. The squirrels were furiously getting nuts and you might bump yourself to a random snowy owl. Well, again, it was cold. 

 

“Probably a hard winter is in store?” Taemin has been painting the November vibe in the park.

 

“It sure feels much colder, today” Jongin was just sitting next to him.

 

Taemin was almost done. He smiled when he gave a finishing touch to his painting. 

 

“Wow, it feels alive,” Jongin helped Taemin to pack all his painting tools.

 

“I’m not gonna sell this one,” Taemin wiped his hands.

 

“Why?”

 

“It’s for you,” Taemin looked at his best friend’s eyes, “who has always been there during my hardest time. You know what I mean. I’m just thankful to have a friend like you.”

 

This year was not easy for Taemin. Things that happened to his marriage made him mentally exhausting. Sometimes he just wanted to escape but he couldn’t. Jongin was a kind friend. He never really asked anything, but was always there. And Taemin felt comfortable when he was around.

 

“What is this? Are you going somewhere? Or trying to push me away?” Things felt off. 

 

Taemin was surprised. How could Jongin guess easily? He always knew right away, before Taemin even said anything. 

 

“Do you read mind?” Taemin asked.

 

“Where are you going?” 

 

“Tokyo, to study art. I only need to file the divorce and then…yeah.” Taemin found it hard to continue his sentence.

 

“I understand.” Jongin smiled. 

 

Taemin got back home. Nobody was there, as expected, just like every other day. He floped himself on a comfy couch. He scanned the room and chuckled when his eyes landed on a photo of smiling couple. That was a good happy time. 

 

He checked his phone, trying to find a certain name from his contact. He then texted him a “what about dinner together? It’s been such a long time”. Taemin sent it and no matter how long he stared at the phone, his chat was never answered, just like every other day. Taemin only sighed. 

 

He thought he wanted to give love some chance. But there was no more love between them in the first place. He felt numb too. His heart didn’t flutter anymore. 

 

***

 

One early morning Taemin was alone. He couldn’t find the man beside him. He rubbed his eyes, found a glasses then wore it. He walked to the kitchen. There he found him sleeping on the sofa, still wearing his suit. Taemin cut his apple and poured some milk to his cereal. The man shifted in his sleep. He slowly opened his eyes. 

 

Taemin greeted him with a quiet hi. He didn’t respond. When he got up, Taemin asked him, “where are you going?”

 

“Back to sleep.” The man’s voice was low and he disappeared to the bedroom.

 

Taemin finished his simple breakfast with a lot in mind. He was determined to do things he needed to. When he entered the bedroom again, the man was covered by a thick blanket. He must be tired.

 

The man always came home late after the tiring work. He literally dedicated his life to work. He didn’t have more time for other things. He inherited his father’s business, so Taemin couldn’t really blame him. 

 

Taemin once asked the man to spend some time with him, but he was totally mad and asked Taemin to understand him instead. When Taemin insisted, the man raised his hand and almost slapped Taemin’s face. That big hand never reached his face, but it did hurt a lot. So Taemin never asked anything anymore. 

 

After a quick shower Taemin sat on the edge of the bed. A few paper in his hand.

 

“Minho?” The other shifted but didn’t open his eyes nor answered him.

 

“I filed for divorce. I’ll leave it here.” Taemin put the documents on a small table. He paused, staring at the sleeping man. “Thanks for everything. I was happy.” Taemin kissed his cheek and his hair, “I love you”. 

 

Taemin then dragged his suitcase, ce and decided to leave for good. What he didn’t know, Minho was sobbing alone under his blanket.

 

***

 

Tokyo is a beautiful city. But it’s always like this, rains a lot in summer and very clear weather during winter. Visiting the city in February is quite chilly. 

 

“What is it?” Yuri, Minho’s secretary tries to get his attention.

 

“Nothing.”  Minho continues to look outside the taxi as they head to the hotel. “So, what is my schedule today?”

 

“There is an art exhibition, where you can meet Lee Jinki. It is scheduled at 5pm. Before and after that you have free time. And tomorrow is all about business.” 

 

Minho’s father got an invitation from an old friend, Lee Jinki’s father. But Mr. Choi is having back pain and tells Minho to come instead. 

 

“I still have five hours. I’ll just wander around Tokyo alone.” Minho might stay in his hotel and sleep for five hours straight.

 

“Let me know if you need anything.” Yuri is secretly excited that Minho decided to go alone. 

 

“No, noona. You can enjoy your time too.” Minho might already know what in Yuri’s mind. She definitely wants to go shopping.

 

“Really? Yas. Ok. Don’t call me until the clock strikes five.” She is totally happy to get a free vacation. She shouts loudly, surprising the driver.

 

***

 

Minho is amazed at how crowded the gallery is. Minho doesn’t really understand art. He stares at the painting of someone screaming. Again, he doesn’t get it.

 

“I see him. Let’s go.” Minho follows Yuri to a man surrounded by nine people. 

 

It’s Lee Jinki. He notices Minho’s presence, then escapes the groups.

 

“Thank you so much for coming.” Jinki and Minho shake hands and greet each other. “My father is giving an interview right now. If you are free tonight, please join us for dinner.”

 

“Sure. I would love to.” Jinki leads Minho and explains the meaning behind every paintings.

 

“Uh, wait a second.” There is one painting that caught Minho’s eyes. He stops in front of it.

 

“Ah this one is quite popular. The title is lonely rings. Sounds dramatic, right?” Jinki chuckles. 

 

Minho doesn’t really listen to Jinki’s explanation. He only stares at the pair of rings that lying on the floor of a spacious place. Despite the sephia lightning, the painting sends a thick aloneness vibe, especially with a little yet big space between the rings. 

 

“Who is the painter?” Minho is just curious. He touches the ring on his finger, because the rings on the painting and his ring look awfully similar. Though both are just simple golden ring. But the painting does remind him of someone.

 

“It’s my father’s student. Father doesn’t usually exhibit his student’s art, but he said this one is a must. Imagine it’s the rings that are lonely, not the owner. It’s not a mere painting, it tells a story, a not so happy one.”

 

“May I know the student’s name?” Minho is damn curious.

 

“Here.” Jinki points at the artist’s name on the label. “It’s student Lee Taemin.”

 

***

 

“You heard it wrong, son.” Mr. Lee tells Jinki. “Actually Taemin was my student three years ago. But I met him again a few months back, after I found his painting that he submitted to me during college. I don’t know why or how but the painting made me cry for some reason. I was desperately trying to find a way to reach him.” He explains. “He still makes arts then sells it. I heard he is quite well known in this field.”

 

“Ah, really?” Minho is unfocused. This is too sudden. 

 

“You haven’t touched your food, Minho. You don’t like it?” Mr. Lee takes a glance at Minho’s plate.

 

Minho apologizes then starts to eat, while having countless clouds of thought. He just knows that yes it’s Taemin, his Taemin. 

 

Only by hearing h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter