final.

Let this story end
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You’ve got everything prepared?” I questioned Jackson, my co-worker.

Nasa public conference kami ng mga famous painter from our country. I don’t know why they would held a conference like this kasi itanggi man natin o hindi, masyadong introverted ang mga pintor. I’m all set, with a notepad and a pen in my hand, though I’m not that interested when it comes to artworks but the artworks that I saw were just so mesmerizing.

“You’re so prepared, may bet na painter?” Ningning teased me. She’s from another publishing company and we’ve been with each other because of different events, particularly, conferences.

“Wala, ah. Pati paniguradong mga retired na ‘yang mga ‘yan. Old people?’ Kumento ko.

“Grabe ang stereotyping mo, ha.” Pagsingit ni Jackson sa usapan namin.

“Huy, hindi ah. I mean, commonly, kakilala ko eh puro gano’n.” I defended myself. Halos lahat ng nakilala kong
painter ay matatanda na and retired from their old job.

“Baka ‘yong mga kakilala mo lang, you wouldn’t know." Jackson shrugged his shoulder. Ningning smiled at me before waving her hand, meaning that she’s going back to her seat. I’ll make sure to catch up with her later. Ningning and I have been together ever since I was a junior journalist, taga-bitbit pa ng kung ano-ano.

The MC announced names of different painters and as I said earlier, they are all old people. But I can’t deny the fact that they are all magnificent because of their talents. The way they showed their thought through artworks, it’s just so mesmerizing. At first, I thought that I’ll get bored, get sleepy and all but this art conference is not bad at all. Not bad. I was looking down on my notepad when I hear the sound of the microphone once again.


“Let's welcome Winter Kim and her artwork!" The MC announced.

 

A familiar name. I looked at the stage and saw a familiar face. Someone I once knew

 

"What's the name of your artwork for this year?" The MC asked.

"As the wind blows." My mind was on panic when I heard her voice.

"Do you mind telling us the story about it?" The MC asked once again. I noticed her slight look at the MC, as if she’s asking him to stop asking questions.

"Uhm, i-it actually doesn't have a s-story." That’s expected. She’s a painter who paints out of nowhere, without any reason.

"It's nothing special, I just saw it on my dream."

"Wow.. Kung mga ganitong lugar din naman mapapanaginipan ko, parang a'yoko na magising." The MC said and slightly laughed.

"Well, even though it doesn’t have a meaning. This amazing artwork will be out for an auction!”


Maybe, I should bid? I’ve been wanting to talk to her.


"Our starting bid is ten thousand."

Some people from the crowd started raising their hands until the ten thousand turned into a hundred thousand.

"As always, Ms. Winter's artworks are wonderful!" Pagkomento ng isang ginang mula sa lamesang hindi kalayuan sa'kin.


I raised my hand, "Five hundred thousand for the artwork and the artist."


WHY DID I SAY THAT???


"Ms. Yu, we apologize but we don't auction the artists here. Only the art." The crowd laughed.

I felt my cheeks turned red when she looked straight into my eyes. Still mesmerized on her eyes, "Okay, then I'll buy the artwork for a million." I said.

"That's the highest bid Ms. Kim had for five years. Then, hereby pronounce that the artwork 'As the wind blows' is sold to Ms. Yu!"


I saw her going down the stage. Kahit ‘di pa tapos ang event ay agad akong tumayo sa kinauupuan ko. Jackson was calling my name, yet I wasn’t looking back. I have a different agenda, rather than focusing on that conference. I have to talk to you.


"Hey." I called her. "I'm Karina Yu." Paghabol ko sa kaniya.

She looked back at me with a firm expression on her face “Remember me?” I asked.

 

“Yes.” She replied coldly. “I remember you, Karina.”

“Can we have a talk?” I asked, hoping for a chance. “There’s nothing to talk about.” Pag-iwas tingin niya.

“I’ve been waiting for you, Winter. I’ve been hoping to get another chance again.” I’m desperate. I was trying to reach her hand but she kept on pulling away.

“You had your chance, Karina.” She’s still avoiding my gaze, just like how she used too. “You had your chance for a lot of years.”

“But I-“ I was cut off when a girl wrapped her arms around Winter’s. As if they’ve been together for a long time.

 

And In love.


The both of them walked away together. Even though they’re waking while holding each other’s hands, I’m only focused on her. I was focused on her back, it was the same as the last image of her that I saw before. She left without bidding me goodbye. You left me without a word, Winter.

 


“Karina, I have feelings for you.”


“I have told you, Winter. Hindi nga kita type.” I rolled my eyes. “We’re just friends.”


Winter. She’s been confessing to me, confessing me her feelings and everything that she feels about me. Pure admiration.


“Why hindi mo ‘ko type?” Makulit na tanong niya.


“Kasi nga, we’re just friends and we can’t certainly more than that.” Pagtataray ko. She also did this last year. Parang habit na niya na ginagawa niya tuwing malapit na mag-christmas break. “Don’t you get tired? We always do this every year. Aamin ka tuwing Christmas break then I’ll say ‘no’ because we’re just friends and we certainly are then sasabihin mong joke lang.”


Alam kong nakabusangot na ang mukha ko and naiinis na rin ako. Alam kong she’s into girls but ‘di naman dapat siya magbiro sa’kin ng gano’n. If all of this is true, it would break me. Winter is like a sister to me and losing all the friendship we had will certainly hurt me.


“Hala.” She acted surprised and even covered . “Galing mo namang manghula. Pero true ka d’yan, joke lang siya.”


“Not funny kaya.” Agad ko siyang binatukan. Sumilip ako sa room naming and I saw that there’s still no teacher, just my noisy classmates. “Pasok na ‘ko, ha. Bilisan mo na maglakad, 5th floor pa room mo ah.”


“Wow, updated sa room assignment ko. Crush mo ‘ko, ‘no?" Pabiro niyang tanong pero agad din naman siyang umalis, she even waved her hand at me.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter