prologue

kaleidoscopic you

 

 

PROLOGUE

 

 

 

"So, what do you think happened between you two?" Said the voice from afar.

Baekhyun stared at a gray cotton silk covering his knee. His fingers were tightly knotted because he was nervous. Of course, he was fighting the tears from falling, but it was useless. No one who lived in his shoes could be that strong.

"Maybe everything was wrong from the beginning. Maybe we shouldn't have met in the first place. Maybe...he'd be better off without me."

Salty tears streamed from his eyes. The image was blurry because he was sure he shouldn't cry anymore. He didn't want to be weak anymore. Even if his love was weakening with every beat of his heart. The pain weighed on him like an anchor. He wanted to swim away from it, but it only pulled him into the deepest corner of despair. Baekhyun felt like his head was numb, but he was sure he would not awake anytime soon.

"Could you tell me a bit more about this story? I'd like to know more about Kyungsoo."

At the mention of that name, his mood immediately changed.

"What do you want to know about him?"

The woman hid a shadow of a smile. She was the worst when it came to pretending, Baekhyun realized. She did not want to know about the marriage. She wanted Kyungsoo. And all the details about the failed relationship. She wanted to know why they had broken up in first place.

"I have nothing to say about my husband. It was my fault, I should have given him more."

He’s not staring her when he says that. It’s shameful to be recognized like a failure.

"Is that what you think, Mr. Byun?" She asks, with her honey voice trying to make him feel comfortable.

"That's what I know. If I were a better husband, maybe..." Baekhyun broke down, speechless.

Pointless. It was pointless to imagine what might have been if he had not been such a broken bastard.

Baekhyun didn't want to think. He didn't want to harbor regrets about anything involving Kyungsoo. He would do his best to stick with therapy, and become a better person, someone who deserved the love Kyungsoo always dreamed of returning.

"So, are you implying that your relationship lacks devotion?"

Baekhyun smiled without joy in his eyes. It was a content smile. He was trying to accept that he had already lost the first battle.

"Love, ma'am, is a battleground. Whoever takes more leaves another with less. That's the only truth I know."

He stared at her this time. Her eyes didn't lie: she wasn't even listening to a word he said. She wanted to analyze his thoughts, and place them in boxes, but love alone wasn't enough to label him. No analyst could understand the kind of love he felt for Kyungsoo. That was his love to feel and share with its owner, the only one that could see all the colors of his kaleidoscopic heart.