you're the one that i love, i'm the one you've been dreaming of

you're the one that i love, i'm the one you've been dreaming of
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong basks in the serene yet lonely ambience of her room, carefully stirring the jasmine tea on the table.

 

Korea had never felt this freezing in a while. Despite the whole kingdom setting up heat lamps along the surfaces, it won’t ever suffice to the coldness consuming Minjeong’s heart. 

 

Has it been weeks, months , since she’s last seen her ? Minjeong wonders wistfully against her curtained window, staring at the lifeless training ground which used to be filled with clanks of swords clashing against each other, along with livening shouts of encouragement that they are the strongest, honorable, and noble knights of Gwang-Gu.

 

And of course, one voice that’s very distinct to Minjeong, a voice that belonged to someone none other than all her knightly glory, General Jimin Yu. 

 

She smiles at her from afar, the familiar glint in her eyes that never fails to sweep Minjeong off her feet. Only then she realized that it was a mere imagination when a sudden gust of wind halts her daydreaming. Hopeless, if you describe her, but what else is to do?

 

At times like this, Minjeong wishes she was like them— out in the dangerous but thrilling world, fighting alongside Jimin but instead she’s perched inside her premises because that’s what a healer does, right? Waking up every day to drown herself in worries, and easing back with the same set of worries still etched in her mind. It’s a tedious cycle at this point. 

 

It kills Minjeong; that she has to get accustomed to several meditations just to sway off the thoughts about what’s already happening outside at the moment. She pretends she’s calmed and contained, masked by soft hums emanated by her lips, but in truth she’s terrified . 

 

She was no believer of a god of any sort, but now, she prays and prays Please, may she be safe. Let her come home…

 

To me.. is how Minjeong’s prayer should’ve ended, yet it sounds rather unbecoming—she crosses out the words immediately as she bows before the sacred altar, harnessing its spiritual presence.

 

The day then ends yet again with Minjeong preparing her bed, patting the pillows to soften up as she falls down to the sheets. 

 

God knows what dreams she’ll have just to harbor this emptiness lingering in her bones.

 

 

(       Minjeong was only twelve when she first stepped into the kingdom. She had just come from the housewarming gathering hosted by the royal family, in honor to welcome their elven family that set foot on their land. 

 

Clinging on her mother’s dress, they stumble upon the training ground of the Gwang-gu knights. Minjeong watched with intent. Sword against another sword, fist against fist, shield against shield—she was awed at how swift and brawny they were as they trained with all their might.

 

“Mama, that tall man over there. Why isn’t he training?” Minjeong pokes her mother’s arm as she is now at eye level with her.

 

“That’s the general, sweet. He’s the one in charge of training these recruits.” 

 

Minjeong’s gaze lingered a little longer as it fell sight on two girls that were parrying each other at one corner of the field. “Mama, look! I didn’t know girls could train to be a knight. I want to join, too…”

 

Perhaps that desire was short-lived for Minjeong. The look on her mother’s face says enough, though she immediately masks it with a gentle smile. She aches for her daughter, that she has little to no choice but to heed their calling as healers.

 

In her most promising tone, Minjeong’s mother traces a stray strand along the girl’s face. “My darling, our duty is to maintain abundance for the kingdom. It may not be as gallant as being a knight, but I promise you that it weighs the same glory.” 

 

Minjeong was still a child then, but she quickly understood. If she brings her focus more on their practices as elven healers, then her nugatory fascinations for these royal guards are to vanish.

 

It’s all Minjeong ever held onto, not until she met Jimin.

 

She met her as a thirteen year old trainee who happened to sprain her ankle due to training. Curled up on the bench, Jimin winced and kneaded her leg, mumbling frustratedly against her breath. 

 

“Lost today’s wrestling match?” 

 

Jimin startles, eyes meeting with Minjeong as she stands not too far from her. The first thing Jimin noticed were the other girl’s pointed ears and she immediately knew. So the news was true. The kingdom, in fact, did shelter elves this time. 

 

“What do you care?” The trainee merely scoffs before averting her gaze, too clouded by her own bitterness. 

 

Minjeong smiles, fascinated by the other girl’s demeanor. She strides closer into her space as she reached for the trainee’s leg. 

 

“Hey! What are you..” 

 

The words in Jimin’s mouth faltered upon the sight of crystalline water floating through the open surface, just above the region of her injury. Jimin observes the elf, astonishment painted in her face, as the elf’s hands controlled the liquid mid-air and it emanated a bright glow before it circled around Jimin’s ankle. 

 

She withdraws her leg from the elf’s hold, rising from her seat. Walked around for a bit, little to no trace of pain in her condition. It’s as if Jimin hadn’t acquired any injury at all. 

 

“Sorry, it seems my chakra wasn’t enough, so you may become nauseous then and there later on.” 

 

Jimin forces the lump in to submerge, ripping the now useless bandage off her feet. “I… you’re a healer?” 

 

“I am to be. Just like you, a work in progress.” Minjeong grins, clasping her fingers together. 

 

“But I don’t wanna be a knight. I get it, my father is the general. But I wish that didn’t mean I should carry his name like I’m some pawn reserved for war and I have no choice but to fight. That’s so irrational.”

 

Minjeong’s eyes widened from Jimin’s choice of words. For a kid, it seems she’d already experienced a little too much. Minjeong remembers the look on her mother’s face when she’s told about her destiny. She sighs, catching the trainee’s attention.

 

“I guess we have no choice but to tread upon the path given to us. So long as we protect Gwang-gu. That’s what matters.” 

 

The wind brushed against Minjeong’s silken blonde hair. Jimin’s eyes glistened, red flushing on her cheeks. It’s probably because of embarrassment. Probably. Maybe guilt, too. 

 

She comes up with a split-second decision to wander along the potted primroses, plucks one out carelessly, bringing the poor stem back as she hands it over to the surprised elf. 

 

“I’m sorry. For uh.. being horrible to you. That was uncalled for. W-will you accept this as an offering of apology?”

 

She holds the flower high up to her chest, pursing her lips sheepishly. In the next second, Minjeong laughs heartily, amused by the future knight’s advances. Surely, there is a friend in her. A lingering smile curls on her lip, taking the plant from the other girl’s hold before stretching another out. 

 

“Minjeong.” 

 

“J-Jimin..”       )

 

 

“Minjeong?” 

 

“J-Jimin..?” 

 

Minjeong croaks out, her ears ringing from the timbre of that familiar voice. 

 

The door slides open, the figure of Yu Jimin slowly revealing bit by bit with every passing second. Relative to that was Minjeong’s stomach that god forbid these butterflies be damned because they’re hurling her into a frenzied bliss.

 

There she is, ever so courteous General Yu, that despite that there’s a hardened steel encased on her body, a meek smile is plastered on her lips. 

 

Jimin also might have given a prepossessing entrance that Minjeong is at loss for words.

 

“I came here as soon as we arrived. How have you been?” 

 

Minjeong hadn’t realized that the knight was already within her space, stance towering over her as Jimin’s eyes hued of zeal. 

 

“Wh-what are you doing here?! Christ, don’t go disappearing from your comrades like that. Head back out there!”

 

Jimin pouts, as if this woman isn’t the highest ranked knight in flesh. “But I just got here. You don’t want my company?”

 

“No, i-it’s not that, I..” There’s a surging want from Minjeong to tackle herself and squeeze her neck until she passes out because what the hell is she stammering for! “I just thought coming here first shouldn’t really be your priority. The kingdom is probably to host a celebratory dinner for all of you. They’d be baffled to find your seat empty.” 

 

“Oh, come on.” Jimin effortlessly unbuckles her armor, gently discarding them to the side. Minjeong’s eyes shamelessly widened at the sight of the cloth hugging Jimin’s elegant figure, unknowing that the knight shifted herself closer, staring Minjeong down sincerely. 

 

“I need to be healed, Minjeong-ah.”

 

Minjeong’s agitation wavers into a profound sense of worry, hurriedly appraising the knight’s body as she casted her chakra to scan for possible aberrations, but to no avail. 

 

Minjeong furrows her brows, “You’re as healthy as a well-taken cared lamb. What is there to heal?”

 

Silence enveloped them for a while before Jimin reached for the elf’s hand, clutching it to her chest. 

 

“I’m hurt… right here.” Jimin’s heart beats against Minjeong’s hold—a rather placid feel to her touch. 

 

When the gears in her mind spun in realization, Minjeong is taken aback by such bluntness that she scoffs and does her best to fight the blush wanting to smear on her cheeks. “Enough with your foolishness, General.”

 

Jimin hurls a gentle laugh and the following words reverberate in the elf’s ears, “Well, can you blame me? I’ve dearly missed you.” 

 

Platonic. It’s all platonic, Minjeong convinces herself. She nods nonchalantly, turning her back as soon as the blood had reached the surface of her head. “I think we’re done here for tonight, right? You’re already healed and my time for slumber is nearing.”

 

Oh to hell with it. It’s stupid of her to push Jimin away as if she hadn’t yearned for her these past few months but that’s just how Minjeong is—Ignorance is indeed her bliss.

 

“But I haven’t gotten any treatment yet. Oh great elven healer Minjeong, aid my tarnished heart! It has longed to see you after a long trek from battle!” Jimin dramatically exclaims, a cheeky smile daubed on her lips. This woman..

 

“I told you, Ji—General, there’s no need for that. Thank you for y-your time.” 

 

“But what if I die due to its immense effects? Who’s going to be general now?” 

 

Again, Minjeong was no believer of a god, but may they bless her with ushering patience. She heaves a defeated sigh, blinking hardly. Screw it.

 

“What shall I do to cure you, General Yu?”

 

Minjeong doesn’t miss the smirk forming on the knight’s lips. Here it comes..

 

“An embrace, oh great elven healer. One embrace and I will be rejuvenated.” 

 

Of course she’s going to play that card. Minjeong grumbles merely to herself, nipping her bottom lip in an(ticipation)xiety and it seems that there is no other way out of this. “That you shall receive.”

 

She blinks on a whim and taut arms enveloped Minjeong’s torso, yanking her close to Jimin’s comfort that her toes are almost rising from the floor. 

 

“Much better.” Jimin mumbles, taking in the floral scent of Minjeong’s locks. 

 

Minjeong’s heart was hammering against her chest, afraid that it’ll bore a hole and Jimin would be able to hear it from there. 

 

It was only a moment later when Jimin breaks their contact, finding the elf standing eerily still in her space. Her eyes hued of uncertainty and Jimin thought that she might’ve pushed her buttons a little too much.

 

She was about to speak before calls of her name swarmed outside, her comrades are looking for her all the while she’s still enclosed in the healer’s chamber.

 

“You should go, General. I hope you are satisfied with my care.” Minjeong shyly bows, excusing herself. The next thing Jimin sees is the last strand of Minjeong’s hair fading in sight as she heads towards her loft.

 

“General Yu, here you are. We are called to have dinner with Their Majesties in an instant. We would like to seek your decision regarding this matter.”

 

Jimin’s gaze is still darted towards the now empty spot where Minjeong stood mere seconds ago. “Let it be known that we will heed them as they please. To arms, gentlemen. We are to have supper.” 

 

 

What difference does it make, whether Jimin’s presence is there or not? She was as busy as a bee these days. Minjeong only settles through stolen glances and sometimes she’s caught by the general’s keen eyes that she beats herself up for being a little too desperate.

 

That’s something so confusing about her too, one second she aches for Jimin’s attention but when it’s right there, she bails. Minjeong doesn’t understand it either, but she’s certain that someone had suddenly sneaked into her room as her focus pans to the laden footsteps of the perpetrator and she immediately knew.

 

“General Yu.”

 

“O-oh. Hey. I thought you were already asleep.”

 

“I was, you may just have forgotten I have sharp hearing,” Minjeong points to her ears. “Why are you here? You’ve no wounds or any of the sort. I’m certain you don’t need me at the moment.”

 

Minjeong could just strangle herself because she just can’t seem to shut . The knight’s gaze softened against hers, shoulders slumping pliantly. 

 

“I just.. want to stay close to you tonight. Would that be okay?”

 

Minjeong blinks and Jimin is thirteen again, gashes evident on her face, baby hairs that didn’t make it into her ponytail and are stuck to her forehead, sullen eyes that are about to cry. 

 

Minjeong’s heart sinks. She averts her gaze, biting her lip inwardly. It hits her. Jimin doesn’t deserve such crappy treatment from her. If anything, she should be the one treating her like this instead! Though Minjeong hesitates on that part, because god, she thinks she wouldn’t be able to take it given that Jimin starts to neglect her—

 

Jimin clears .

 

“Ah, I’m sorry, I think I got carried away for a moment there. My apologi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter