CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Hellfire Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

LIBERATION

 

 

 

Eunwoo grunted as waves of pain radiated through his entire body, each pulse intensifying the agony. Slowly, he pried his eyes open, only to be swallowed by darkness. The disorientation was overwhelming; he couldn't fathom where he was. His vision blurred, and even the simplest attempt to speak was thwarted by the searing pain in his mouth. He tried to lift his hands and feet, but a harsh clinking sound revealed they were bound by heavy handcuffs.

 

Panic surged through him as he thrashed against the restraints, but then the chilling memories of the queen’s brutal torture surged back, causing his eyes to snap open wide. Desperation clawed at him as he scanned his surroundings. Amid the dim light, he discerned another figure, also shackled, unconscious before him.

 

“W–Wendy...” Eunwoo's voice cracked as he forced the name out, tears blurring his vision further. His heart twisted in anguish at the sight of her. Wendy was motionless, her skin pale and marred by dark bruises circling her neck, stark evidence of violent choking. Fear and guilt churned within him as he realized the queen must have discovered their secret. That was the only explanation for Wendy's presence here, shackled and broken beside him.

 

He strained against his bonds, desperate to reach her, to offer any comfort he could. The cold, damp air of their prison cell carried the faint smell of mildew and despair, amplifying the sense of hopelessness. Eunwoo's mind raced, searching for any means of escape, any way to protect Wendy from further harm. But the iron grip of the queen's wrath felt inescapable, a dark shadow looming over their fragile hopes.

 

“Wendy...” Eunwoo tried so hard to call out to the unconscious angel in front of him, despite the searing pain in his mouth.

 

He raised his voice, hoping against hope that she could hear him. “Wendy, w–wake up...” But no matter how many times he called her name, Wendy remained unresponsive.

 

Panic gripped his heart, and dark scenarios began to flood his mind. Was Wendy already gone?

 

“No... no... it's not t–true...” Eunwoo stammered, his tears falling continuously. The self-blame began to consume him, his mind teetering on the edge of madness.

 

“Wendy, wake up, please! It's me, Eunwoo!” he cried, his voice echoing in the small, cold chamber where they were imprisoned. He struggled to keep his emotions in check, knowing he wouldn’t forgive himself if something bad had happened to Wendy.

 

His cries seemed to reverberate off the damp stone walls, filling the air with a haunting desperation. Eunwoo's body trembled with each sob, his hands tugging uselessly against the cuffs. The thought of losing Wendy was unbearable, and each passing second felt like an eternity of torment.

 

He took a deep, shuddering breath, forcing himself to focus. Summoning all his remaining strength, Eunwoo began to use his power to heal Wendy, desperately hoping to wake her. Despite his weakness, he was determined to do anything to save her.

 

During the queen's torture, Eunwoo had refrained from using his power, fearing that it would only further enrage the queen. He had endured the pain, believing he might die, yet he was still alive, a testament to the queen of hell's twisted sense of punishment for an angel like him.

 

Now, as he tried to channel his healing energy, he felt nothing. It was as if his powers were completely drained. He tried again, concentrating harder, willing his energy to flow and mend Wendy's injuries. But no matter how much he focused, nothing happened. Panic welled up inside him.

 

His power was gone.

 

Desperation turned into a scream of anguish, echoing through the cold, stone chamber. The walls seemed to close in on him, suffocating him with the realization that this prison might be specially designed to nullify his abilities. The queen had anticipated his attempts to escape or to heal, and she had taken measures to ensure he remained powerless.

 

Eunwoo's heart pounded in his chest as he stared at Wendy, feeling utterly helpless. The thought of losing her was unbearable. He strained against his bonds, his mind racing for any possible solution, but the magical restraints and the oppressive atmosphere of the chamber left him feeling defeated.

 

“Please, Wendy, wake up,” he whispered, his voice cracking with emotion. His tears fell freely, mixing with the dirt on the cold floor. The chamber's silence mocked his despair, each second ticking by with cruel indifference.

 

Eunwoo knew he had to stay strong, not just for himself, but for Wendy. He couldn't give up. Somehow, he would find a way to break free and save them both. He clung to that thought, letting it fuel the small spark of hope that remained within him.

 

 

———

 

 

Irene watched her daughter sleep, her gaze soft but vigilant. She never left her side, as if afraid that her daughter might disappear if she did. The dim light from the bedside lamp cast a warm glow over the room, highlighting the gentle rise and fall of her daughter's chest with each peaceful breath.

 

Irene's heart ached with a mixture of love and fear. Every time she looked at her daughter, she was reminded of how precious and fragile life could be. The room was filled with a hushed serenity, broken only by the occasional rustle of sheets or a soft sigh from the sleeping child.

 

She reached out, gently brushing a strand of hair from her daughter's forehead, her fingers lingering for a moment as if to reassure herself that her daughter was truly there, safe and sound. The thought of losing her was unbearable, a shadow that lingered at the edges of her mind, threatening to consume her if she let her guard down for even a second.

 

Irene sat back in the chair beside the bed, her eyes never straying far from her daughter's peaceful face. The night stretched on, the quiet of the room broken only by the soft sounds of her daughter's breathing. But Irene's mind wandered back to the terrifying moment when Yerim had unleashed an immense power.

 

Yerim had seemed possessed, her eyes ablaze with an intensity that chilled Irene to the bone. Her daughter's body emitted a dangerous light, and her once vibrant eyes were vacant, empty as she repeated words of vengeance.

 

“I'm gonna kill him...” Yerim's voice was a dangerous whisper as she brushed past Irene, who desperately tried to restrain her daughter from leaving the palace.

 

“Baby, no! You can't leave!” Irene had shouted, reaching for her daughter. But with a mere flick of Yerim's finger, Irene had been flung across the room, crashing into the palace wall. Pain shot through her body as she coughed, struggling to breathe. She stared helplessly at her daughter, who continued her determined march.

 

“Your majesty!” Seulgi's voice pierced through the chaos as she rushed to Irene's side, helping her up.

 

Irene had finally witnessed firsthand just how dangerous her daughter could be. Yerim had inherited her power, but it was more intense, more uncontrollable, as if something had awakened within her during her slumber. The thought of what her daughter was capable of scared Irene to her core.

 

Meanwhile, chaos erupted within the queen's palace and beyond. Devils fled in terror as their young royal highness unleashed yet another dangerous power. The once majestic palace and its surroundings lay in ruins, devastated by Yerim's uncontrollable force.

 

Irene felt Seulgi's hand on her cheek, the worry and fear evident in Seulgi's eyes as they darted between Irene and Yerim. Irene held Seulgi close, trying to calm her trembling form.

 

“Seulgi, leave this place now! Take Joy with you,” Irene said urgently as she rose to her feet, determination etched on her face.

 

“But, your Majesty—” Seulgi began, her voice strained with concern, but Irene cut her off.

 

“Leave now, Seulgi. It could be dangerous for you and Joy if you stay here,” Irene insisted, her voice firm but laced with worry. Seulgi hesitated, torn between her loyalty to the queen and her concern for her safety and that of her daughter.

 

Suddenly, a deafening explosion rocked the palace, causing Irene's eyes to widen in shock. She turned to see that the protective bubble-like barrier surrounding the palace had been breached, revealing its location to ordinary devils. Yerim stood at the epicenter of the chaos, effortlessly opening the barrier with her untamed power.

 

Irene's heart sank as she realized the gravity of the situation. Her daughter's powers were beyond her control, and the consequences could be catastrophic. She knew she had to follow Yerim, to try to reason with her, to bring her back from the brink of darkness before it was too late.

 

Seulgi's eyes widened in alarm as she glanced between Irene and the chaos unfolding before them. She knew she had to obey the queen's orders, but leaving her alone with Yerim in her current state filled her with dread.

 

As the sound of chaos and destruction echoed through the palace, Irene and Seulgi shared a tense moment of silent understanding. With a heavy heart, Seulgi nodded, knowing she had no choice but to obey the queen's command. 

 

Seulgi walked over to where Joy lay, her heart heavy with the weight of the impending danger. She enveloped Joy in a protective embrace, her arms trembling with both fear and determination. Her gaze remained fixed on Yerim, her eyes filled with a mixture of sorrow and desperation.

 

“Yerim—ah...” Seulgi's voice wavered, choked with unshed tears as she struggled to find the right words. She knew she had to leave, to protect Joy from the escalating turmoil, but leaving the queen and her daughter behind tore at her heart.

 

As Irene rushed toward her daughter, Seulgi felt a surge of conflicting emotions. She knew the queen would do anything to save Yerim, but the danger of the situation was too great to ignore. With a heavy heart, Seulgi made her decision.

 

She tightened her grip on Joy, whispering words of reassurance as she prepared to teleport them both to safety. Her gaze lingered on Yerim and the queen for a fleeting moment, filled with hope and despair.

 

Then, without another word, Seulgi closed her eyes, focusing all her energy on transporting herself and Joy away from the chaos unfolding around them. In an instant, they disappeared, leaving behind the turmoil and uncertainty of the queen's palace.

 

Irene's heart raced with desperation as she frantically rushed to where her daughter, her mind spinning with the gravity of the situation. She knew she had to stop Yerim, to prevent any further harm from befalling her daughter or anyone else.

 

With a heavy sigh, Irene reluctantly accepted that she had no other choice but to use her own power against her daughter. She closed her eyes, focusing all her energy on unleashing her abilities, a wave of determination coursing through her veins.

 

As she concentrated, a brilliant purple light began to emanate from Irene, casting an ethereal glow around her. With a sharp intake of breath, she released her power, directing it toward her daughter with precision and control.

 

The energy surged forward, enveloping Yerim in a cocoon of light. For a moment, everything seemed to freeze as Irene held her breath, praying for her daughter's safety. Then, with a sudden burst of intensity, the energy struck Yerim, causing her to convulse violently.

 

Irene's heart clenched with anguish as she watched her daughter writhing in pain. The power she had unleashed was formidable, but it was necessary to bring Yerim back from the brink of darkness, to protect her from herself and from the chaos she had unleashed.

 

With each passing moment, Irene's resolve grew stronger. She refused to let her daughter succumb to the darkness, to lose herself to the dangerous power that threatened to consume her. With unwavering determination, Irene continued to channel her energy, her gaze never wavering from her daughter's convulsing form.

 

As the purple light continued to pulsate around them, Irene prayed silently for Yerim's redemption, for the strength to guide her daughter back to the light. For in that moment, amidst the chaos and turmoil, a mother's love burned brighter than any darkness, illuminating the path forward with hope and resilience.

 

Irene approached her daughter slowly, her heart heavy with the weight of the situation. Tears streamed down her cheeks, a silent testament to the anguish she felt at seeing Yerim in such pain. With each step, her resolve wavered, but she knew she had no choice but to use her power to stop her daughter's rampage.

 

As she reached Yerim's side, Irene knelt down beside her, her trembling hands reaching out to gently brush the hair away from her daughter's face. She whispered words of comfort, her voice choked with emotion, as she struggled to hold back her tears.

 

And then, in an instant, the chaos ceased. Yerim's convulsions ceased, and her body went limp, unconscious on the ground. The surrounding chaos halted, the air growing still as the bubble-like palace sealed itself once more, leaving Irene and her daughter alone amidst the ruins.

 

“Mommy's here, my love. I love you baby... I love you....” Irene's voice trembled with emotion as she whispered, her words barely audible amidst the quiet chaos surrounding them. She leaned closer to her daughter, her tears mingling with Yerim's sweat-dampened hair as she cradled her gently in her arms.

 

“I'm so sorry, my love,” Irene choked out, her voice thick with emotion. Each word was heavy with the weight of her guilt and love, a silent plea for forgiveness and understanding.

 

With Yerim nestled against her chest, Irene felt a sense of peace wash over her, a fleeting moment of solace amidst the turmoil of their shattered world. She held her daughter close, her heart aching with the enormity of the journey that lay ahead.

 

But in that moment, as she gazed down at Yerim's peaceful face, Irene found the strength to believe that they would weather the storm together. With a heavy sigh, she closed her eyes, offering a silent prayer for Yerim's recovery and for the strength to guide her back to the light.

 

Their journey was far from over, but as long as they had each other, Irene knew they would find a way to overcome whatever challenges lay ahead. With that thought in her heart, she held her daughter tightly, vowing to never let her go.

 

As Irene continued to watch her daughter, these memories haunted her. She gently brushed her fingers through Yerim's hair, her heart aching with a mixture of fear and love. The weight of recent events pressed heavily on her mind, and the uncertainty of the future filled her with dread. She could only hope that, in time, they would find a way to help Yerim control her powers. 

 

After that chaos subsided, Irene carefully laid her unconscious daughter in their room, never leaving her side. Despite the serious matters demanding her attention, her daughter was her first priority. Two days had passed since that incident, and Yerim remained in a deep sleep. The hell realm had returned to its normal state, the ruins caused by Yerim’s power had been swiftly repaired, leaving no trace of the devastation.

 

The devils who worked in the palace had resumed their duties and also Joy and Seulgi, but Irene could sense their lingering fear. They were all afraid of her daughter now, their apprehension palpable whenever they crossed paths with the queen.

 

Irene lay beside Yerim, watching over her with unwavering vigilance. She wanted to be the first to see her daughter when she woke up, to reassure her and to prevent another dangerous situation. She was acutely aware that Joy still remained unconscious, despite Azazel’s best efforts to heal her. The thought of Yerim discovering that Joy had not yet woken filled Irene with dread, she knew that if Yerim lost control again, the consequences could be catastrophic.

 

As Irene traced her fingers gently over her daughter's sleeping face, her thoughts were consumed by worry about Yerim's reaction when she discovered Joy still unconscious. She knew how important Joy was to Yerim, she had witnessed the deep bond of their friendship, a bond they shared alongside Wendy and Seulgi. But seeing her daughter react so violently, ready to kill whoever had harmed Joy, still lingered in Irene's mind, raising countless questions.

 

Suddenly, Irene's thoughts shifted to Wendy, and a surge of anger coursed through her. The betrayal still stung deeply. She had trusted Wendy, only to be deceived by her. Wendy had befriended an angel, a treacherous act that Irene could not forgive. Her hands trembled slightly as she thought about the betrayal and its implications.

 

Irene's mind then wandered to how Yerim would react if she discovered Wendy's treachery. Would her daughter, already teetering on the edge of control, spiral further into anger and vengeance? Irene's heart ached at the thought, knowing that Yerim's emotional state was fragile.

 

And then there was Jinyoung. She couldn't believe he was capable of doing this. She had always seen him as calm and collected, but perhaps Wendy's betrayal had hurt him so deeply that it had driven him to rage. Irene understood the pain of betrayal, but she couldn't condone his actions. He had attacked Joy, and that was unforgivable.

 

Her thoughts darkened as she recalled Joy's unconscious form, a stark reminder of Jinyoung's actions. Irene's eyes narrowed with resolve. She had already commanded Azazel to search for Jinyoung and bring him to face punishment. No matter the reasons behind his actions, he needed to be held accountable.

 

Irene sighed, her fingers still caressing Yerim's face. “My love, I wish I could protect you from all of this,” she whispered softly. Irene knew she had to be strong, not just for her own sake but for Yerim's as well. She needed to find a way to navigate the delicate situation, to guide her daughter through the storm of emotions that awaited her when she woke up.

 

For now, Irene focused on the present moment, on being there for Yerim. She pushed aside her anger and worry, concentrating instead on the love she felt for her daughter. The challenges ahead were daunting, but Irene was determined to face them head-on, to protect her daughter and restore peace in their lives.

 

 

———

 

Seulgi knocked softly on the queen's door before slowly opening it. She found Irene watching over Yerim, who was still peacefully sleeping. With a quiet nod, Seulgi entered the room, her footsteps silent as she approached the bed. Her gaze never wavered from Yerim, her mind a whirlwind of chaos and concern.

 

The recent events weighed heavily on Seulgi's heart. The turmoil they were experiencing in the hell realm was far worse than anything they had faced in the human world, and she felt utterly lost. Joy's condition was still precarious, and Seulgi made sure to take care of her, doing everything she could in Wendy's absence. The thought of Wendy made her heart ache even more. She had witnessed the queen's merciless torture of her friend and had been powerless to help.

 

Seulgi knew in her heart that Wendy wasn't a traitor. There had to be an explanation for her friendship with the angel. They needed to hear Wendy's side of the story, but the queen's fury had left no room for explanations. Seulgi had tried to plead with Irene for Wendy's sake, but the queen had only grown angrier, ignoring her pleas and shutting her out, which frustrated Seulgi to no end.

 

She understood the queen's deep-seated hatred for angels, the pain inflicted by those celestial beings was something Irene carried with her always. But Seulgi believed that not all angels deserved such hatred. It pained her to see the queen's heart so hardened by past wounds. She knew that changing Irene's perspective would be incredibly difficult, given her history and her strong-willed nature.

 

And then there was Yerim. Seulgi never thought that her younger sister was capable of destroying a realm. She hadn't known just how powerful and dangerous Yerim could be until now. Her mind wandered back to their time in the human world, when they were alive and their lives were simple. Back then, their main concern was survival, but they were always happy because they had each other.

 

In those days, they found joy in the little things, even as they faced the hardships of daily life. There were no realms to destroy, no overwhelming powers to control. Just the comfort of each other, and the shared determination to make it through each day together. The contrast between then and now was stark and heartbreaking.

 

Seulgi looked at Yerim, lying peacefully in bed, and felt a deep sadness settle over her. The changes that had come over her younger sister were inevitable, but they were also profound. The sweet, carefree girl she had known seemed almost a stranger now, and it pained Seulgi to see how much Yerim had transformed.

 

She remembered the laughter they shared, the small victories they celebrated, and the unwavering support they gave each other. Those memories felt like a lifetime ago, and as she looked at Yerim now, Seulgi couldn't help but feel a sense of loss. The simplicity of their past had been replaced by a reality fraught with danger and complexity.

 

“How are you?” Irene asked, breaking Seulgi's thoughts. Seulgi just shook her head in response, and the queen knew that she was not okay.

 

“You are getting thin. You must eat,” Irene said. Seulgi managed a faint smile. 

 

Despite the queen's unforgivable attitude toward her friend and her own pleas for Wendy's release, Seulgi couldn't afford to be angry at the queen. She understood the queen's feelings and she was caught in the middle, trying to comprehend both sides of the situation.

 

“You're asking me to eat when you haven't even eaten yourself. You don't even drink water,” Seulgi replied, her tone almost scolding. “You need to eat too, your Majesty. You'll need all your strength when Yerim wakes up because we don’t know what will happen then.” Her voice dropped to a whisper, filled with worry that Yerim might cause another catastrophic event.

 

“Are you afraid of Yerim now, Seulgi?” Irene suddenly asked, making Seulgi pause.

 

She thought about the question carefully. Was she afraid of Yerim? Maybe, or maybe not. One thing she was certain of was her fear of losing her younger sister completely.

 

Seulgi took a deep breath, her eyes meeting Irene’s. “I’m not afraid of Yerim,” she said softly. “I’m afraid of what might happen to her, to all of us, if we can’t help her control her powers. I’m afraid of losing her, of seeing her hurt or lost in all this chaos. But I could never be afraid of Yerim herself. She’s my sister, and I love her no matter what.”

 

Irene nodded, her expression softening. “I feel the same, Seulgi. We’ll find a way to help her. We must. And we’ll do it together.”

 

Seulgi reached out and took Irene’s hand, squeezing it gently. She knew how much pain the queen was feeling right now; her daughter was her life.

 

“I’m always here for both of you,” Seulgi whispered, leaning in to kiss Irene softly on the lips. The kiss was gentle, a silent promise that she would never leave. It conveyed all the support, love, and commitment Seulgi felt for Irene and Yerim.

 

Irene closed her eyes, allowing herself to momentarily forget the chaos around them. The warmth of Seulgi’s kiss and her comforting presence provided a small respite from the turmoil. When they pulled apart, Irene looked into Seulgi’s eyes, finding solace in the depth of her unwavering loyalty.

 

“Thank you, Seulgi,” Irene said, her voice filled with gratitude. “We’ll get through this. Together.”

 

Seulgi nodded, her resolve strengthening. “Yes, we will. Let’s take care of ourselves so we can be strong for Yerim when she wakes up.”

 

Irene gave a small, grateful smile and squeezed Seulgi’s hand once more. She then allowed herself to be enveloped in Seulgi's warm embrace, finding solace in her touch.

 

For a moment, the weight of their troubles seemed lighter, and Irene could draw strength from Seulgi’s unwavering support.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter