prologue

my beloved, my dear.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April, 2005

 

“Joohyun!”

 

The call sliced through the air, interrupting five-year-old Joohyun’s exploration of the muddy ground. She stood up abruptly, eyes wide with curiosity, turning her attention to her friend Seulgi. The latter, also at the tender age of five, hurried toward Joohyun, her short legs propelling her with eagerness. In her grasp, she held something mysterious with both hands.

 

“Look! I found-” Seulgi’s excitement bubbled over, but before she could complete her sentence, an unexpected stumble sent her forward. In the process, she accidentally dropped the precious thing— a baby turtle.

 

Joohyun blinked, momentarily taken aback. “Are you okay?”

 

“Yes,” Seulgi responded with determination, ignoring the minor scrapes on her knees. Undeterred, she quickly located the baby turtle amidst the mud and gently scooped it up. “Look!” Seulgi presented the tiny creature to Joohyun with a mischievous grin.

 

“What is that?” Joohyun inquired, a spark of curiosity overcoming her initial lack of enthusiasm.

 

“It’s a baby turtle!” Seulgi stood up and held the small reptile closer to Joohyun. “Too bad we can’t see it. It’s hiding inside its shell.”

 

“Why is it hiding?” Joohyun tilted her head, fixing her gaze on Seulgi.

 

“Maybe it is trying to protect itself from any harm.”

 

Joohyun pondered for a moment before responding. “Do you think we had our own shell when we were babies?”

 

Seulgi shrugged, a playful smile lighting up her face. “But I can be your shell if you want. You know I’m stronger than you.”

 

April, 2010

 

“Joohyun!”

 

Close to tears, Joohyun shifted her gaze from Yerim to Seulgi, positioned sternly behind Yerim with a determined expression. Unable to voice her turmoil, Joohyun’s silent plea for help did not escape Seulgi’s understanding.

 

Seulgi, fueled by resolve, forcefully pushed Yerim aside, intertwining her fingers with Joohyun’s delicate hand. Casting a disapproving glare at Yerim, the school’s bully, Seulgi guided Joohyun away from the troubling scene.

 

“You shouldn’t let her bully you like that,” Seulgi commented without meeting Joohyun’s eyes. It was until her friend released a flood of tears when they came to a stop, and Seulgi turned to face Joohyun.

 

“I’m sorry for being weak,” Joohyun sobbed, her gaze fixed on the ground as she clutched the front of her shirt with her free hand.

 

Seulgi sighed, releasing Joohyun’s hand. Gently, she lifted Joohyun’s head, placing her hands on the girl’s shoulders. “You’re not weak. She’s the weak one for bullying you, knowing you can’t do anything,” Seulgi asserted firmly. The furrow on her forehead deepened as Joohyun continued to cry, her sobs intensifying.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Seulgi pulled Joohyun into a comforting embrace, holding her close. With deliberate tenderness, she rubbed the girl’s back, offering solace through the warmth of her embrace.

 

“I’m your shell, remember? I will protect you.”

 

April, 2015

 

“Joohyun!”

 

Joohyun’s eyes fluttered open, roused by the familiar call of her name. Shaking off the remnants of an unintentional nap, she found Seulgi's face mere inches from hers, causing an involuntary flinch. Hastily, she straightened her back, a hand placed over her chest.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter