Chapter 18

The Fall of Sindeok
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the same time the relief force for Haneulga was making its speedy way towards the town, there was also a long column headed towards Silsa. This was the latest and last throng of refugees seeking the protective light of the bonfire of Lee Jinki; for those who could not escape the advance of the Sage were now restrained and bound under the dark hand of the rebellion. This column was however quite different from most others that had come before them, since at its front and rear there were groups of armed and escutcheoned men — those of the Prince of the Mountain. These men were those left to guard the town, consisting of household retainers and small nobles in Seungwan’s service, numbering only 200. Many of the townspeople who had their own arms were also escorting the column, but since they were also burdened by their own wagons, oxen, and sacks, they were of little value as fighters. Nearly the entire population of Haneulga was moving in this long convoy that stretched over five kilometers long, and covered only twice that length in a single day. 

Leading the column was Lord Choi Jisu, who had become the leader of the remnants of Haneulga’s fighting men since most of the defenders of Okcheon had been put to the sword. She understood well that speed was of the essence; with only 200 men she could stay ahead of Donghae’s vanguard and be at Silsa in just three days if they only stopped for sleep at night. She could do this even if the consort of her lord, Sooyoung, was in a horse-drawn carriage, for the advance of 3,000 men through hilly and wooded terrain could not be as quick as that of 200 men. But this luxury of speed was not afforded to Jisu, for Sooyoung had commanded that the townspeople be escorted and not be abandoned to Donghae’s wild dogs; being the consort of her lord, Jisu had no choice but to obey with great protest. Thus the advance of the column was sluggish, hampered not just by the supplies and belongings of the townspeople which they had brought with them despite Jisu’s orders to travel lightly, but also the old and young who could not walk as quickly or as far, and needed constant rest. Such was the sluggishness of the column that on the day of departure, the back of the column had not left the town when the front stopped for the day. 

To slow Donghae down, Jisu had ordered Haneulga to be left intact with all of its riches and bountiful stores so that the rebels would occupy themselves with looting and revelry, but obviously some had not heard the order, for the town burned long and bright as the convoy plodded along to the east, illuminating the night sky behind them. The sounds of keening and sighing were heard all along the column, for it was their lifelong works of industry and livelihoods that were being reduced to ashes by their own hand. Generations of lush fields, grain-producing mills, and hand-constructed homes — now all consumed in the wake of the conflagration of the country which had finally come to find them. Home and the only life they ever knew were now in cinders behind them; ahead of them only uncertainty and terror awaited. 

On the second day of the march to Silsa, there was widespread panic among the civilians as it was said among them all: “The rebels are coming! They are riding over the hills behind us!” There was a great fright and terror throughout the length of the convoy, and many hastened in their footsteps, leaving those who could not walk faster behind. But Sooyoung, out of a good-natured heart that was really not as useful in such a dire situation, refused to abandon them, and begged Jisu to deploy men to help them along. Under great duress, Jisu obeyed, but the rumours were not unfounded, and indeed had been spread by those in the rear who had seen detachments of Donghae’s outriders past the outskirts of ruined Haneulga. There were no delusions that the vanguard was not close behind them, and ready to leap onto them like a tiger once they were rested enough to make that leap. 

Sooyoung was unwise in not leaving the townspeople behind, but it was borne out of a heart of priceless gold; at every stop she gave freely from the stores of Seungwan’s mansion to ease the difficulties of the civilians — mainly foodstuffs, clothing, and water. This too took time, and with every stop the empty hole in Jisu’s stomach grew, making her ever more sick and uneasy. If they had managed to get into the thick woods of the hills east of Haneulga (the route on which Joohyun had found Seulgi), the danger would not be so great, but the convoy was so slow that they were still out in the open, caught between deep treeless hollers on one side and gentle slopes of loose soil and tiny shrubs on the other. They could be easily ambushed by hidden men, or be chased down by fast riders and flanked on either side. Stretched out along the column, Jisu’s men could not defend themselves or the civilians easily, and it would take too long to form a wagon circle. In no conceivable situation could they be saved. Only the dim hope that Yeji was returning soon with the Prince’s salvation kept Jisu from abandoning the townspeople and rushing down the road with only Sooyoung’s carriage and her men. 

On the third day, scouts reported that contingents of cavalry had been sighted all around the column — in front, on both sides, and in the rear. They had waited till noon, when the column must stop and rest after a whole morning of walking, and till the third day, when the pack animals, having not been spared at all throughout this march despite their slow speed regardless, were on the verge of collapse from lack of rest and fodder. Jisu did not possess the power to compel so many people to move again and rush for the safety of the forests, and she immediately looked to securing the safety of the most important things: the consort of her lord, some measure of the valuables and treasures of her house, and the remnants of Haneulga’s defenders. 

The sky was ominous; an ill wind swept through the camps of the column even in the middle of the day. Knowing that disaster was about to befall them even though they did not know yet of the encirclement, the civilians grew restless, craning their necks to peer into the distance beyond the tops of the trees and hills, each seeing the horses and men riding about in alarm. Jisu cared not for them any longer, and quickly located Consort Park near her carriage, helping the wives of some of the townspeople tend to their young children. The urgency of the situation was not seen on her face; with calmness and all the gentleness of a swan she cradled a baby in her arms and rocked it to sleep. 

“My lady, I must speak to you now,” said Jisu, making it clear in her tone to the mothers that now, more than ever, she was not to be trifled with. 

Sooyoung was well aware of the great crisis that loomed over them, but she did not let the urgency show on her face so as to not alarm the mothers and their children. Setting the baby aside, she said to Jisu: “I am telling you again that I will not leave the townspeople of my lord.”

In a hushed tone, Jisu told Sooyoung that Donghae’s vanguard was very close by, ready to attack at any minute. Now the only avenue of escape was through the forest paths, where pursuing horsemen could be fended off by fewer numbers and Sooyoung’s escape was more secure. But of course Sooyoung did not listen to Jisu’s advice. 

“You are telling me to abandon all these good people who have done nothing to deserve the wolves at their heels.”

“They will be abandoned, or they will be killed; they cannot choose their fate, and neither can you choose for them.”

“How will you answer to your lord when you leave all of her subjects to be carried off into captivity, suffer the depredations of the rebels? Will she look kindly upon you, who now possesses all that is left of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter