001

Glacial Skies
Please log in to read the full chapter

Unlike the brilliant blue skies on Mars, the skies over Faery were a vibrant green, almost turquoise shade. Above the battlefield below, the skies were cloudless, just like on Mars. But then Mars and Earth didn’t have the addition of a blood-red trail of gas that seemed to divide the Faery sky in two.

Contrails lace the sky, as a formation of 20 fighters, comprised of the newer FFR-31 Sylphids and the older X-02 Wyverns push forwards, coordinated through the display screens onboard an AWACS aircraft.

“Wraith Leader to all units. We are approaching enemy airspace. Penetrating their defence line in T-minus 30 seconds. AWACS, how copy on clearance to engage?”

The response from the AWACS, who went by the callsign ‘Silvereye’, was quick and brief.

“AWACS to Wraith Leader. You’re cleared to engage. Wraith Flight, Banshee Flight, be advised we are picking up bogeys. We read thre- no, five bandits! Bearing 315.”

As soon as the operator speaks, more red blips, indicating even more hostile aircraft, appear on the radar screen in front of her.

“Silvereye to all flights. Correction, you have 10 bandits headed your way.”

High above the ensuing furball, a single fighter circles lazily above, the pilot holding it in a figure-8 pattern. One of the brand new FFR-31MR Super Sylphs. Originally a stillborn interceptor project, the concept was brought off the drawing board by Mars-based Federation personnel in light of the extremely fluid situation on Faery, with Federation observation satellites often being shot down by the enemy, often before the launch rockets could break orbit.

The idea of starships being used for battlefield recon and observation was pitched, but then rejected as due to the need to police the other Outer Colonies the Federation could not spare enough starships for the war effort.

Thus the Super Sylph project was born, taking the stillborn interceptor design and reworked into a multirole aircraft with an emphasis on speed, range and the ability to hold its own in a dogfight if cornered. Unlike earlier designs like the Wyvern, the Sylphid and the Fand, the Super Sylph could hold a speed of Mach 3 without burning out its engines and could still turn if pressed into a turning fight (however it could not turn as well as a Sylphid).

 The first 12 Super Sylphs that rolled off the assembly line in the Utopia Planitia fleet yards were assigned to the Mars contingent of the Federation task force assigned to maintain control of Faery, a planet from the Outer Colonies where several research stations were established. Rather than engaging in direct combat, the Super Sylphs were pressed into a purely tactical reconnaisance and obervation role, much to the displeasure of Valkyrie Squadron’s commanders, support crew and pilots, who felt that the Super Sylph was more than just a glorified spy plane. 

Valkyrie Squadron’s current role was to just sit back and observe, gathering footage and recon photos of battles with the enemy force and Federation pilots for the intelligence spooks in Section 31 and Section 9 to analyze. All direct engagements were prohibited for the Valkyries.

Already a sense of resentment had been building among the rest of the Federation pilots against the Valkyries and Task Force Command. But then there was nothing anyone could really do besides raise an objection that would go ignored.

Most people would have cracked at the thought of having to sit back and watch from above as pilots go down in flames with only standing orders keeping them from helping, even if it was just one plane that could theoretically change that tide of battle. Minji’s lost count of the number of missions she’s gone on from her arrival just three weeks ago, but every time, it’s nothing but sit back and watch people die.

Major Kim Minji was bored out of her mind. Like the other pilots in Valkyrie Squadron, she was growing restless, as that itch for battle would remain unscratched.

Minji knows the other Federation pilots were trash talking her behind her back, referring to the Valkyries as cowards who knew nothing but to turn and run with their tails between their legs.

But she couldn’t care less what they thought. The only thing that really mattered to her was battle, and her battle sisters. Unfortunately, the lack of battle was already starting to get to her.

Minji’s Super Sylph orbits above the melee at 40,000 feet. She slams a fist on the dashboard, the LCD displays flickering from the impact for a brief moment before recovering.

The airwaves erupt in a series of frantic shouts as both pilot and co-pilot tap into the channel used by the Federation formation down below.

“Break! Break Break!”

“-Seeker open. Fox-2! Fox-2!”

“Banshee Four, you’re trailing fire! Cut fuel and hit the extinguishers! Banshee Four! Come in!”

Explosions and static as radios cut out.

“Banshee Leader’s gone! Banshee Two, take command!”

“No, Ghoul Flight’s been wiped ou-”

With an irritated sigh, Minji switches frequencies, cutting off the sounds of panic and cries for help as she radios in to ground control, who had direct control over them, instead of the AWACS.

“Citadel, this is Valkyrie One. Request permission to engage. All friendly aircraft down below are getting massacred.” As the purple-haired pilot repeats for umpteenth time in five minutes.

“Citadel. Sorry Valkyrie, permission denied. Per standing orders from the higher ups, you are not permitted to engage.”

“...Valkyrie acknowledges. Out.”

Minji grits her teeth, biting back a frustrated snarl, leaning back against her seat before she banks the Super Sylph into another pass over t

Please log in to read the full chapter