Revelation: 21:1-2

the squirrel and the bunny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You know when you're about to sleep, literally on the verge of drifting off into that nice void of nothingingness, when you suddenly remember something important you were supposed to do that day but you didn't?

That jolt of pure shock that has you sitting up in your bed, suddenly extremely awake and a little annoyed at yourself because you really, really wanted a nice peaceful sleep but your forgetfulness now has you crawling out of bed and scowling.

Yeah, Seungwan's feeling like that right now. She was rolling around in the silk sheets of her bed at 5AM trying to get a little nap in after her patrol when her thoughts drifted to the Pink Bunny and Joohyun (as it usually does) and then to the realisation that today is the day she and Joohyun are supposed to go back to Son Industries. But wait--that's not it. Her thoughts landed onto her parents then to her grandmother before realising the very likely possibility that if Bae Joohyun investigates further into Son Industries, there's a very good chance she'll find out about her deceased grandmother and put two and two together--that she and the Blue Squirrel share the same deceased grandmother. That Seungwan is the vigilante.

So, here Seungwan is, sitting up in her bed, half-awake as she stares at the keycard on her bedside table.

There's no way to convince Joohyun to stop investigating, Seungwan knows that once the older gets a little whiff of something suspicious, she won't sleep until she's cracked the case. She's very cute in that way, Seungwan thinks. 

The only way to ensure Joohyun doesn't find anything to connect the Blue Squirrel to Son Industries is going there first and making sure herself.

Seungwan shoots the Pink Bunny a text:

(you):

i know ur probs not awake but detective bae is investigating smth at son industries

im going ahead to check it's safe

if i don't respond in the next couple hours...

well, don't miss me too much ;)

Seungwan doesn't expect a reply, seeing how it's literally 5:10AM and she's mid-glide down her building when she feels her phone buzz in her pocket. Once. Twice. Thrice. Oh wait, is somebody calling her?

Seungwan lands onto the nearest rooftop she can find and whips out her phone to see the Pink Bunny calling her. She doesn't hesitate to pick up.

Seungwan's squealing like a child at on top of some poor tenant's roof with a gleeful jump. "You're calling?! Oh my god! Is it my birthday--?"

"Why are you going to Son Industries so early in the morning? Why aren't you waiting for Detective Bae?"

"Huh? Well... It could be dangerous and--"

"She can handle herself, can't she?"

"Yeah, but--"

"I'm coming with you."

"What? Hold on--"

"I'll meet you in the storage closet."

"How do you know about--Hello?"

Seungwan stares back at her phone as the call ends and she can't help but wonder what's going on with her partner. Just last night, the Bunny visited her--Detective Son--for quite literally no reason. It was a nice visit. Quick, but it left her wanting more. 

Seungwan's been thinking a lot about Joohyun this week, especially because of that game of theirs (which she plans to gloat about when she comes to visit Joohyun in her apartment later) that it has her almost forgetting about the love of her life--the Pink Bunny. 

She... She even almost kissed Joohyun. Twice at that! 

Unlike Joohyun, Seungwan's not really going through much of an internal dilemma about being in love with Joohyun and the Bunny. She's had two or three experiences of romantic love and has always loved the feeling--the thrill in her bloodstream as if makes her heart needing one itself and her face hurting by how much she smiles when she lays at night thinking of the person it's for. Seungwan welcomes any kind of love she can experience.

It's cliche but she loves love. Always has, always will. Be it romantic, platonic or familial love, Seungwan's chest always fills with warmth. She supposes that it's a kind of flaw of hers. To always loyally wear her heart on her sleeve means she's susceptible to being hurt. It's a double-edged sword. She gives out every single ounce of herself to share the hope and joy with everyone she meets but sometimes, people aren't as good as she believes them to be and they return her kindness with spite and a broken piece of her heart. 

One day, there might not be any left to glue back together. She hopes it'll never come to that--no--she believes it'll never to that. But, Seungwan's always been an act first, think later kind of girl. When she tells you she loves you, she means it entirely and she wouldn't take it back. She's good with her words and her actions are always true to that. 

So yes, she loves the Pink Bunny with all of her heart but she knows she'll never be able to be with her. She's come to accept that. Seungwan will show her love for her partner through her actions and not through declarations of her love, because her body has found another heart to beat in tune with hers and it belongs to Bae Joohyun.

And despite knowing that Joohyun hates her for past reckless actions, she can't help but think about how the other seemed almost as eager as she was to kiss her back in the break room. Joohyun might actually like her back. That thought makes Seungwan smile a bit as she arrives at Son Industries. 

"," Seungwan says aloud. How the hell is she doing to get through the metal detectors alone? Oh wait-- Seungwan spots her partner landing on the opposite side of the street and quietly makes her way over to her. "Boo!"

"AHHH!" Joohyun screams and instinctively goes for a punch that's only narrowly evaded by Seungwan.

"Woah!" Seungwan blinks and starts falling into a muffled laughter behind her fist. 

"Stop laughing, rat," Joohyun says dryly. "You scared the crap out of me. You know, we're supposed to be as quiet as we can if we want to sneak into a highly secure building."

Seungwan shrugs and tosses an arm over Joohyun's shoulder, gently tapping the side of her head with her own. "It's fun making you hoppity-hop, Bunny."

"Ugh, it's too early for this, Squirrel. Do you might cooling it a little? And can you spend one hour not saying any puns?"

Seungwan pouts, facing her and poking her cheek. "Aw, who pooped on your carrot?" 

"N-Nobody, stop it," Joohyun replies, suddenly flustered by all the physical touching and steps out of Seungwan's arm. "Let's just get this over with, alright? Give me your nuts."

"Oh?" Seungwan smirks. "My, my Bunny-boo, and here I thought you didn't carrot all about me. Unfortunately, you'll have to kiss me before getting a peek at my--AGH!" Seungwan jolts and looks down at herself to see her partner's fingers wiggles at her sides. "Stop! Why are you tickling me!"

Joohyun smirks triumphantly. She's cute, she thinks as she pulls away. "Thought you could use a laugh since you like joking around so much. Now hand over your little gadgets."

Seungwan whines a little indignantly and pulls out some of her devices. "Which one?"

"Any, assuming they're all made of the same material."

"Yeah..? It's titanium," Seungwan says as Joohyun picks up a few from Seungwan's hand and inspects the gadget.

"Is it mixed with another metal?"

"I don't think so, why?"

Joohyun gives the devices another look before places them back into Seungwan's palm. "Metal detectors don't actually detect metal, but rather the magnetic field it produces. Titanium's a non-ferrous metal, it won't set off any alarms. Do you have anything that would?"

"Just my phone and the keycard."

"Alright, give them to me."

"Huh?

"Give."

Seungwan feels a bit uneasy at that. Her lockscreen is a photo of her and Sooyoung, her partner had set it as that once and she wasn't bothered to change it back. "Why?"

Joohyun rolls her eyes. "Why do you think? You need to go in without setting off the metal detectors so that you can deactivate it and let me inside."

"Well, when I went with Joohyun, she just kept her gun through the detectors and I slipped right in," Seungwan argues.

"It's going to be hard for me to do that when I'm not Joohyun."

Groaning, Seungwan powers off her phone and hands it and the card to Joohyun. 

--

Seungwan walks through the building and is immediately stopped by a security guard despite her not setting off any alarms.

"What is a vigilante doing here?" he asks her.

"I need to pee," Seungwan whines and brings her hands clasped in front of her tightly, pouting at him. "Please, I'm literally going to paint the floor pee in ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter