Lucky

Lucky

 

Little strands of hair swept across her fair cheeks, as her floral dress brushed against her knees. She shook her slippers off, and took a deep breath of the ocean scent. A big grey-white dog seemed to enjoy the ocean just as much, and pounced around with a little vanilla coloured dog. A sudden gust of wind came, blowing her hat off. She wanted to chase after it, but a pair of arms on her waist didn’t let her.
 
...
 
January 2011
 
"Take care of Dasher, and I might increase your allowance and let you go out more. "
 
“I’m doing this because my dad would give me more freedom. Freedom, freedom, freedom.” She repeated to herself, like a mantra, calming herself down. "I don't even have many close friends since all they'll let me do is to go for study dates or something, and won't give me enough cash to shop. And I'm too busy for a job ..." It was seven o’ clock in the morning, and it was around seven degrees out. She struggled to hold on to the thick, turquoise leash in her frozen hands. “Dasher, slow down !” She yelled, being dragged by the strong, blue-eyed Husky. The only reply she got was a loud bark that seemed to be mocking her. Her caramel-coloured boots were restrained from moving fast in the snow on the ground, while Dasher’s paws seemed to be unaffected from all the snow and ice. Dasher seemed to be going faster and faster, being an athletic dog.
 
Thud. She slipped on some melting snow and fell. “And dad wonders why I dislike animals,” She groaned, getting herself up. She brushed the snow off her plaid coat, and adjusted her messed-up bangs. Flipping her long, silky tresses to her shoulder, she noticed that the large, grey dog was nowhere to be found. “You’re kidding me.” She said, alone on the empty road.
 
 
“Dasher,” She said softly, looking into corners and alleys. It was early; Businessmen and women were asleep, the ahjummas were in their warm houses, only vegetable stall vendors were on the streets, setting up their booths at the local market. “Why can’t you bark when you need to ?” She said, grouchily. Trudging around, she kickied piles of snow wherever she went. “Just because your friend and his family are migrating, doesn’t mean you can readily accept a dog they can’t bring along. Ugh, I bet my dad’s the only one in the world who’s so rash.” She complained. She looked at the little clock on a thin piece of brown leather on her wrist. “School’s in an hour,” She said, frustrated. Her black sling hung on her shoulders. She was in her school uniform, ready to send Dasher home and get to school. Suddenly, a loud bark broke the silence of the empty streets and cool breezes.
 
 
As fast as her feet could carry her, she bolted to the source of the sound. “Dasher !” She exclaimed, grabbing the turquoise leash standing out in the sparkling white snow. Dasher barked again, his tail wagging. He seemed happy about something. In front of her stood a boy, about eighteen or nineteen years old, same as her. Thanking him, she left. But she couldn’t, as Dasher wouldn’t budge. He was sniffing snouts with a little cream coloured dog, about four times smaller than him. The cream coloured dog’s tail was wagging too, repeatedly hitting its own white leash. The boy was silent, and he was emotionless. “Probably just walking his dog, and he hasn’t woken up fully yet,” She thought. The crest stitched on the boy’s sweater caught her eye. “You’re from Yongsan high too ?”
 
Awkwardly, her hands were dug deep into her coat pockets, as she eyed the mysterious boy. In the end, both dogs were put into his yard, surprisingly only a few minutes away from her house. “What’s your name?” He finally said. “Jihyun, are you new?” She asked quietly. He nodded. “What about yours ?” Jiyun asked. “Myungsoo.”
 
 
“Okay, we have a new student in class today. His name is Kim Myungsoo,” Mrs Park said. The class seemed uninterested, and clapped wearily. “Go sit next to Jihyun,” Mrs Park beckoned, pulling out her thick stack of mathematics questions. Myungsoo had this poker face, and he didn’t talk a lot. Jihyun had her chin in her palm, and was tapping her pen on the table.
 
There was an awkward, unlively atmosphere in the room. Mrs Park simply droned on and on, while many students used their phones or even slept. Myungsoo, however, seemed to be focused in class. Suddenly, a little piece of paper was tossed onto Jihyun’s table. She unfolded the tiny blue paper. “Cute, isn’t he ? Too bad though, he’s probably an introvert who studies everyday like a nerd.”  Ji Hyun scribbled a “He seems nice” and tossed it back to her friend.
 
 
After what seemed like forever, the last bell finally rung. “Want to go for lunch ?” Jihyun offered. As usual, Myungsoo nodded and said nothing. Walking down the road to a nearby café, Ji Hyun and Myungsoo were stopped by a boy wearing Yongsan high’s uniform. “J-Jihyun, please accept this !” He said nervously, handing her a pretty envelope and he ran off. “It just annoys me how none of them have the guts to confess like a man …” Ji Hyun said, miffed. Ji Hyun could have sworn that she just saw Myungsoo smirk, but then again, he’s usually emotionless. Like you would do to every other friend, you linked your arm with his, and dragged him to the café.
 
 
“Jihyun, it’s been a while, hasn’t it ?” The cashier said cheerfully. “Strawberry milkshake and a lava cake ?” She added with a smile. “Apparently it hasn’t been long enough,” Ji Hyun joked. “What would you like ?” The cashier asked Myungsoo. “The same.” He said simply. He pulled out his wallet and offered to pay. Jihyun nodded, and smiled slightly. “Your boyfriend ? What a gentleman. Sungjong must be jealous !” The cashier joked. Jihyun blushed, and quickly denied. “We are just friends ! I’m totally over Jihyun !” A distressed cry was heard from the kitchen. “Jongie,” Ji Hyun laughed.
 
 
You could feel a pair of eyes boring into you, as you sat opposite Myungsoo. “I have no idea how to do this,” Jihyun said, throwing her hands up. “Subtract x from yz and cube root it,” Myungsoo said, not even looking up from his worksheets. “Oh, I square rooted it instead …” Jihyun said, noticing her mistakes. Myungsoo handed her his earpiece. Shocked yet delighted, she stuck them into her ears. Calm, soft and clear music filled her mind, and she finished the rest of the worksheets quickly.
 
 
Every minute or so, Sungjong would clean the already-sparkling tables next to them again, or refill the near-overflowing glasses of water on their table. “It’s okay, we’re good.” Myungsoo said to Sungjong, and you swore it was like two wolves glaring at each other. Well, Myungsoo was a wolf. Sungjong was kind of like a pomeranian. He forced a rigid smile, and trudged away. For some reason, that shy, quiet and mysterious boy couldn’t leave Jihyun’s mind, and she couldn’t help but take a peek at his perfect jawline, cold yet deep down, warm looking eyes, and his lips. His really soft looking lips. Jihyun mentally slapped herself and went back to algebra. She sighed, resting her cheek on her knuckle.
 
 
February 2011
 
"Do you live alone ?" Jihyun asked, looking at his house. "It's considered pretty big for someone who lives alone." Myungsoo shrugged. "Bad heartbreak. I'm a coward, so I moved here, using a scholarship for Yongsan High to escape." He said simply. Jihyun mouthed a 'sorry' and hugged him. "By the way, I live here because there aren't any smaller houses near the beach." Jihyun beamed. "You like the beach too?" "Of course. It's so calming here. And Jolie over there loves running around the beach, annoying crabs and stuff like that." Myungsoo said, smiling slightly. The two story beach house was no different from a bachlor pad, yet simple and spacious. The cream walls had about two or three paintings, but the one that stood out was a giant painting of the ocean. 'Kim Myungsoo' was signed underneath it. "You really are amazing .." She breathed. 
 
His whole first floor was his room, a huge bed, the size of two double beds, sat in the middle, facing the balcony. Myungsoo had a few guitars kept neatly in a row, alongside a table full of eraser dust, pencils and sheet music. His second floor was his kitchen, with a sofa and tv next to another balcony. Usually it'll be the other way round and the bedroom is on the second floor, but Myungsoo just preferred it that way. "So, shall we shart?" Myungsoo said, leaning on the door, in his hand were a few nylon paintbrushes and a turqoise apron.
 
March 2011
 
Kim Myungsoo ‘miraculously’ became your tuition for just about everything. History, Geography, Math, and also Japanese. “お名前はなんですか? (o-namae wa nan desu ka/ What is your name?)” He asked, his eyes serious. Nervously, Jihyun stuttered a “Jihyunです(desu)”. Satisfied, he leaned back into his chair and mumbled “悪くない (Warukunai / Not bad)” with a smile, although it sort of looked like a smirk.
 
Jihyun’s grades improved tremendously, and gradually she spent every day with him, as her father gave her more freedom as promised. Studying, shopping, dog walks, everything. Even Dasher liked Myungsoo; Or his dog for that matter.
 
 
April 2011
 
He handed Jihyun a roasted marshmallow, as we sat cross legged around a huge bright fire. “Camp won’t be complete without camp songs!” Mrs Park beamed, bringing out an acoustic guitar, and handed it to Myungsoo. “I heard you were quite musically inclined,” She said, handing him a guitar pick. “Go on,” She beckoned. The class clapped unenthusiastically, like always, but kept quiet. Jihyun gave him a little thumbs up of encouragement, and Myungsoo’s face lit up a little, as his soothing voice filled the campsite.
 
After his song was thunderous applause. The girls fawned over him and the guys’ jaws dropped, panicking. Jihyun was impressed too, as she never knew he was that talented at everything. “You’re a perfectionist, hmm?” She said, giving him a pat on the back, as she was shoved away by the bombard of girls coming up to him with little pieces of paper with numbers on it. Myungsoo hated all this attention, and turned to find that Jihyun had already disappeared back to her cabin. He frowned; The only praise he wanted was from her and nobody else. He tried to distract them, only to be forced by Mrs Park to play another song. He was dragged and handed a guitar, but this time, he didn’t sound as good as before.
 
Myungsoo walked to body of water near the campsite, away from all the buzz. It was dinner, but he didn’t want to be there without Jihyun. He saw a petite figure sitting on the jetty, and walked towards it. “Done already?” Jihyun said softly, her feet swinging and getting hit by the gentle waves. “It felt like forever,” Myungsoo complained. “It was boring.” Jihyun laughed. “I love the ocean. It’s so calming, don’t you think?” Myungsoo stared at her. Her pointed little nose, her bright eyes, everything seemed to draw him closer. She rested her head on his shoulder, which was a little hard, since he was pretty tall. Nonetheless, it was the warmest and softest shoulder for Jihyun. “ ‘The sea pronounces something over and over, in a hoarse whisper; I cannot quite make it out.’ I think that saying is quite true,” She mumbled, as they both closed their eyes and listened to the sound of the waves hitting the jetty.
 
 
May 2011
 
Jihyun swung gently on a hammock, Myungsoo occasionally giving it a push too. “Do you want a sip?” Myungsoo asked, holding out his strawberry milkshake. Jihyun smiled gleefully as she took a sip of her favourite drink, now Myungsoo’s favourite too. “You know, as much as you love this, you’ll get tired of it if you drink it so often.” Jihyun warned teasingly. Myungsoo shook his head. “I won’t ever get tired of it.” He assured her. “Because it reminds me of you.” Myungsoo thought. 
 
“You do know, that you’re my best friend, right?” Myungsoo asked Jihyun. “Of course I do. I hope you know that you’re my best friend too.” She said skeptically. Myungsoo sat cross legged on a beach towel, and took out his guitar. Accompanied by the sound of the waves, he strummed gently and sang ‘Lucky’.
 
Do you hear me, talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean
Under the open sky oh my, baby I'm trying
Yeah I hear you in my dreams
I hear your whisper across the sea
I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard
 
I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
 
Suddenly Myungsoo stopped. “Why’d you stop ?” Jihyun asked, sitting up. “Did I mention I really love this song? Especially because its lyrics is all the thoughts on my mind.” He said, walking over to Jihyun. Jihyun’s eyes widened a little, her heart beating fast. He lifted her chin slightly, and pressed his lips onto hers. “I’m lucky I’m in love with my best friend.” He whispered into her ear, as he leaned in again.
 
 
March 2012
 
Little strands of hair swept across her fair cheeks, as her floral dress brushed against her knees. She shook her slippers off, and took a deep breath of the ocean scent. A big grey-white dog seemed to enjoy the ocean just as much, and pounced around with a little vanilla coloured dog. A sudden gust of wind came, blowing her hat off. She wanted to chase after it, but a pair of arms on her waist didn’t let her. “Don’t move.” He said, handing her his strawberry milkshake. He took off, running in the direction of the wind. She sighed to herself. “Kim Myungsoo, 愛してるよ (aieruyo / I love you).
 
"Thank you for healing me. Jihyun, 愛してるよ." He thought, determined to get back the hat stolen by the wind.