oh don’t tell me…

now isn’t really the right time (i love you, anyway)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It’s no foreign knowledge that rigorous training brought upon the beast that is the Royal Guard. They foster the highest respect attained from the people and the greatest responsibility cultivated for the glory of the monarchy. Kim Dahyun knew that much—more than enough, actually—to never forsake the honor that was bestowed upon her as a member of the military.

 

Her succession as the new Head and Commander of the Royal Guard meant the ultimate accountability for the safety of the royal family. This meant further additions to her initial duties as a mere sentry officer, or strategizing with active units on a daily basis. Now, she was no stranger to military blueprints, or dealing with uncompromising seniors when it came to deciding a near-perfect route for the limousines to pass through. Because at the end of the day, it had to be perfect—this was the Royal Guard’s essence.

 

Regardless, Dahyun never once undermined her role the moment she stepped foot into the absence of mercy this job demands. All that mattered, since the dawn of time, was the royal family and the royal family alone.

 

So much as to marry the Empress herself, which Dahyun, in truth, did not see coming from her side of the benefits. No, it wasn’t a reward to begin with. Her Majesty was simply … a beauty of a different league. Not even the greatest royal guard ever known to mankind was immune to such magnificence, and it just so happened that Dahyun was just that. 

 

And by unfortunate, novel means, Sana’s eyes seemed to have gone ahead in keeping them on the royal guard. 

 

All the roads that led to the very ring on Dahyun’s finger were nowhere near as sleek as her blessed uniform. Hell, she was even charged with treason and a straightforward exile the moment their relationship came to light. The nation was bemused, the Royal Guard both envied and deemed her an abomination, and most of all, the royal family—the entire flock of which Sana fearlessly fought against—placed her full eminence on the line.

 

But that was all they were: another story for another day. Because in exactly thirteen seconds—as Dahyun nervously (how preposterous! The Commander of the Royal Guard, nervous?!) devised—will the presence of Her Majesty the Empress grace the palace grounds on a Thursday afternoon.

 

After succeeding the previous commander, Dahyun’s responsibility reached even greater heights in tailing the Empress wherever she went. Her sense of duality is notoriously sharp now that she has double duty: her duty as the Commander of the Royal Guard and her duty as the vulnerable wife of Minatozaki Sana.

 

Both duties required her to gain knowledge of the Empress’ schedule for the entire day, every day, so Dahyun knew it was just about time for Sana to leave for a global leadership summit in France. It just so happened that in this one instance, Commander Kim would have to remain inside palace walls in preparation for the formal investiture of Royal Highness Myoui Mina. As such, the formation of bulletproof, quintessential security is expected to be engineered by Commander Kim’s hand.

 

Still, Dahyun remained utterly still in her post, only ever making her presence known by announcing the Empress' attendance, voice firm and hardened. All the guards present performed their ceremonial salute as the Empress slowly walked by, seemingly ensuring that her smile was fairly distributed among them.

 

“Hard at work, I see,” she says, like it was any other job in the world. Behind her are two bodyguards from Dahyun’s most elite division, specifically formed for Her Majesty’s perusal. “Pleasant afternoon to all of you.”

 

It was only then that Sana’s steps faded to a halt, just right around Dahyun’s post. The latter maintained her composure, aware that she could not and would not let the piercing gaze of the Empress bore through her.

 

No one had managed to crack her discipline, not even pettish middle-aged women forcing themselves an inch beside her for a photo. She would resort to unprovoked force the minute one curious citizen dared to lay a finger on her, any ounce of sympathy long drained for the world to see.

 

But the Empress had stopped, just right before the Commander, in front of her. Dahyun was in no place to look away, both in the context of disrespect and in the context of Sana’s sulking words, “Am I not enough to soften that thundering glare of yours, Commander?”

 

It is safe to say that Dahyun exerted an inhuman amount of dedication into wielding blades with her gaze alone; that one look would have those pettish onlookers scurrying about. It appears to be the worst of the bodyguards’ days, for they happen to be on the receiving end of this improvement, as Dahyun shifts her glare from forward and onto the pair waiting in command, as if to order, “Leave immediately.”

 

While the implication was straightforward in its own right, Dahyun knew that her privilege of romantic privacy could not be granted this time around. Instead, the two bodyguards simultaneously marched backward, creating a large enough distance to leave the Commander and the Empress be in this open space. They were still in public after all, and the numerous guards scattered about the area were similarly aware of what was about to unfold before them.

 

Dahyun would have her lips if she were only able to. She can’t fracture her deportment, not when she was in the presence of the Empress, who just happens to be her wife now. 

 

But protocols are protocols. That doesn’t change the fact that she was the highest-ranking officer currently present in the area, continuously scrutinized by her subordinates. 

 

She can’t have herself melt in the contradicting eyes of the Empress. 

 

No. Not this time.

 

“You,” Sana began, and she smiled. Dahyun kept mum. “Commander Kim. Have you always been this charming?”

 

Oh goddamit!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter