Chapter 1

On the Rainy Days [Oneshot]

It was just another rainy day. A cup of coffee - which turned into a cold one since then - accompanied me. Cell phone placed recklessly above the table, accompanying the coffee. The atmosphere inside the café was really quiet.

 

My eyes flew far away to the view outside of the window, precisely onto the other side of the road. The street in Seoul wasn’t crowded as usual, maybe because rain poured down and people were too lazy to drag their feet out.

 

I sighed without looking away. Watching the drops of rain fell down from the gray clouds. A melody from my iPhone distracted my reverie. I jumped a little from my seat; too shocked to be true.

 

All of the customers’ eyes were fixed on me when they realized that I didn’t give a damn to the ringing phone. Bowing a little and saying, “Sorry” to all of the customers, at the end with heavy hand I picked up the call without looking to the caller ID.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I answered weakly.

 

“………..” there was no answer, only the sound of the rain was heard.

 

For the second time I said, “Yoboseyo?” but still, no one answered and only the sound of the rain was heard.

 

Confusion ate me alive.

 

Who the hell is this person?! I thought for a moment.

 

Before, I already wanted to end the call, but when my eyes flew to the other side of the road, my whole body stoned. A bitter memory flooded my mind.

 

- - -

 

That day, rain poured hardly; wetting all the streets and buildings. People running to seek for a shelter, so they wouldn’t get wet. Sheltering below the café’s parasol, I kept trying to contact YooChun.

 

“Why does he have to be late?” I sighed disappointedly while pressing the green-coloured button; signaling that it is the button for calling.

 

In few rings, finally YooChun picked up my call. “Chun-“

 

“ChoonHee-ah, I’m sorry before because I can’t make it today. But I beg you, please don’t wait for me anymore. When you see me one day, move on. I’m sorry for disappointing you, ChoonHee. I love you, goodbye.”

 

“Chun-“ before I could finish my word, he already hung up. “So… He breaks me up that easily?”

 

- - -

 

I couldn’t tear my sight. Tears slowly wetting both of my cold cheeks. Lips started to tremble, couldn’t hide the deep grief.

 

On the other side of the road, stood YooChun completely with an umbrella and smiling straightly to me. It was not a dream, all of this was real. His face that during this whole week I hadn’t seen and the sincere smile that never failed to melt my heart.

 

- - -

 

With a heavy heart, I entered the café and ordered a hot black coffee directly. After paying and got the order, I chose a seat where it was far away from the crowds. The seat placed near the window, I could see the view clearly outside.

 

Sipping the coffee slowly, I was trying to find the answer for the question that filled my mind.

 

Why did YooChun break me off easily after a 3 year relationship? Moreover, we already planned to get married anytime soon.

 

The vibration inside my pocket nearly made me choked out on the coffee. I took the phone out from my jeans’ pocket and answered it right away.

 

“Excuse me, is this Song ChoonHee? Park YooChun’s girlfriend?”

 

My forehead creased by itself when I heard an unfamiliar voice and the way he was talking about me being YooChun’s girlfriend. It should be ex-girlfriend by the way.

 

“Yes, I’m Song ChoonHee. Sorry, but who are you and where did you get my number from?”

 

“That thing is not important right now! I have a news with me, but I do hope that you will not be panicked and stay strong after you hear this. Park YooChun involved in a car accident and passed away.”

 

- - -

 

Slowly, I closed my eyes, hoping that he would still be standing over there when these eyes opened. But when it opened and I looked to the other side of the road again, YooChun was gone. Now, I had to accept that YooChun didn’t stand on this earth anymore and didn’t breathe the same air.....

 

He had disappeared forever.

 

“… But I beg you, please don’t wait for me anymore. When you see me one day, move on …”

 

Now everything seemed to be clear. The time when he picked up my call, he was gone already from this world. He wanted me to move on and continued this life happily, searching for a new spouse who will bring me into the altar as well as protecting and loving me forever.

 

“Alright, for the sakes of our love, I will move on. Goodbye, YooChun.”

 

The last tear fell down. With that, I stood up from my sit, throwing the cold coffee and walked out of the café using an umbrella.

 

Looking up into the sky, once again I made a promise to him. “YooChun, thank you for those sweet memories that you have given to me. Now I will continue this life without you and of course… Find a new love.”

 

~ * ~