Will You be my Valentine?

Will You be my Valentine?

 

“Come on Zelo…” I mumbled to myself as I walked into the school gates. “You can do this.”

In my hands I held a box of cupcakes I had slaved in the kitchen making for over 2 hours this morning. I put all my efforts into making perfect cupcakes, but sadly only four turned out the way they were supposed to; I wasn’t a very good cook…

I walked in the front doors to see couples everywhere. People were kissing and hugging and others were nervously approaching their crushes. Usually I would completely ignore the fact that Valentine’s Day was anything special and continued on with my daily routine, but this year, it would be different. 

I hurried to my locker and placed the box of cupcakes on the top self. “Ouuuu, what’s that?” Jongup asked as he approached my locker. I quickly slammed the door shut and locked it. “It’s..nothing…” I stuttered. Jongup gave me a curious look but I ignored it. “Let’s get to class,” I said and pulled his arm. As we were walking down the hall, we were stopped by a group of blushing girls. They were obviously there to confess to Jongup… no one liked me… but why would they? I’m just a tall, curly haired freak. I became uncomfortable as they smothered him with gifts and sweet confessions. I’m someone who likes to avoid awkward situations so I just walked away, of course Jongup didn’t notice… he was probably too busy trying to figure out who he’d pull behind the school to make out with.

As I was rushing down the hall with my head down, I bumped into someone. I looked up and made eye contact with him. “M..mian..hae,” I stuttered with a deep bow. He just scoffed and brushed his shoulder as if I was dirty, and walked away; his two followers right behind him. My heart was beating rapidly from the encounter, that’s the closest I’ve ever been to him. The bell rang and I came back to reality. I realized I was going to be late and ran to class. I walked in and let out a relived sigh that the teacher was yet to arrive. I made my way to the other side of the room to see Jongup eyeing me suspiciously, next to him was a girl clinging to his arm in my seat. I sat in front of them, ignoring the way he looked at me. He poked me in the back with a pencil but before he could start with his questions, the teacher walked in. “Quiet down now,” he said as he strode to his desk. *Saved by the bell…well not really…* I thought to myself as I gave my full attention to the teacher.

The bell rang and indicated it was lunch time. I made my way to the cafeteria by myself, since Jongup was off with some girl. *It’s Valentine’s Day and I don’t even have a friend none the less a special someone…* I was too nervous to eat; the butterflies fluttered in my stomach and gave me a weird feeling. It was almost time for me to make my first confession; I just needed to find him alone. I walked back to my locker not wanting to be in the loud, crowded cafeteria, especially since I was a loner. I gazed at the cupcakes I made. The pink icing swirling perfectly on the soft chocolate cupcakes and the sprinkles delicately sitting on top, I smiled down on how well I did for the first time baking by myself. *I hope he likes them…* My thoughts trailed off when I heard voices from down the hall. My head shot up to see him and his followers walking down the hall. My heart was beating fast and I could hear the pounding in my head. *Now’s your chance!* the voice in my head screamed at me. I quickly composed myself and walked up to them.

“…Can I help you?” he asked irritated. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. “What do you want?” he asked harshly. “Yong Guk hyung…” I managed to say without making eye contact. “Isn’t he the one who bumped into you this morning hyung?” one of the other guys, who I recognized as Daehyun asked. “Heh, so it is… you here to apologize again?” Yong Guk replied. “Umm… actually…” I pulled out the box of cupcakes and held it out, not daring to look at him. “What’s this?” Daehyun questioned with a raised eyebrow. I looked at him and then up at Yong Guk. “Please accept this.” I felt like my heart was going to explode because of how fast it was beating. I can’t believe I’m actually doing this. “Your name’s Jello right?” he asked. “Zelo,” I corrected. “Jello, Zelo, same ,” he replied staring intensely at me. “Look,” he said leaning slightly in with a softer expression; my heart skipped a beat. “Who do you think you are to so easily approach me?” his eyes suddenly returned to the cold, harsh expression I was used to. “I just- ” I was cut off when he walked by me, intentionally bumping into my shoulder, causing the box to fall. I stared wide eyed as the cupcakes tumbled out of the box onto the floor. Daehyun snickered and walked past me, kicking one of the cupcakes into the wall. I looked up and Yong Guk’s other follower, Himchan, glanced at me with an unreadable expression before quickly following the other two. I looked back at the cupcakes on the floor and what just happened began to sink in. My first confession… and my first rejection. The pain washed over me as the scene played over and over again in my head. I picked up the box, which still held one untouched cupcake, held it to my chest and ran outside.  

 

Tears threatened to fall as I ran across the lightly snow covered field. I hadn’t realized how cold it was until I stopped running, but I didn’t care. I slid down next to a tree and put the box next to me. I pulled my knees to my chest and rest my forehead on my knees, finally letting the tears fall. I don’t know how long I cried for, but it was long enough for my body to feel frozen. My head had been buried for so long that I didn’t notice the light snow that began to fall. My body shook with the shivers that seemed to be taking over my body. Suddenly, I didn’t feel as cold, something warm draped around my shoulders. I looked up through my watery eyes to see … Himchan? I was confused…what is he doing here? Didn’t he hate me like Yong Guk and Daehyun? I looked down at the scarf he had wrapped around me and held the soft, knitted pattern in my hands. “It’s not that warm, but it’s better than nothing,” Himchan said calmly. I had never realized how soft and smooth his voice was… well this was the first time I actually heard him talk. He cautiously took a step closer and sat down next to me.

“I’m sorry,” he said looking off in the distance. “…For what?” I asked finally speaking. “Not doing anything earlier. I should’ve stopped hyung from throwing your cupcakes on the floor; you must’ve worked hard to make them.” I didn’t know how to respond so I just nodded as my eyes shifted to the box next to me. Himchan’s gaze followed mine and he carefully picked up the box. “May I?” he asked looking at me with sincerity. Once again I just nodded and watched as he opened the box. The icing wasn’t the perfect swirl it was before, but it still looked edible. Himchan extended a finger and swiped some of the icing off of the top and carefully it. I watched in amazement at how perfect he looked just doing something as simple as eating. He noticed my eyes on him and turned to face me. “Want some?” he asked with curious eyes. “No thank you hyung,” I said and let out a sigh. I watched couples in the distance walking and playing in the snow as Himchan quietly finished the cupcake.

“Zelo.” My name sounded so good coming from Himchan’s lips; his velvet voice so close to my ear. I turned my head towards him and was taken back when his face was so close to mine. I studied his handsome face and couldn’t believe how beautiful he really was. “That tasted delicious,” he said, his hot breath lingering on my lips. “But, I bet this tastes better.” Before I realized what was happening, Himchan was leaning in. He closed the space between us and gently pressed his lips to mine. My eyes widened in shock and it felt like time was frozen. Was this really happening? My heart sped up for the tenth time today and I felt a shock of electricity flow through my body. Slowly, I closed my eyes and kissed him back. The snow was falling harder, but in that moment, I had never felt warmer. The butterflies were back, but more excited this time, fluttering helplessly within me. Everything that was on my mind was completely forgotten and I felt as if I was only living in that moment. Nothing else mattered but me and Himchan, then and there.

Himchan slowly pulled away and his gaze met with mine. His eyes were the most beautiful I had ever seen and instantly I melted. “Zelo,” he chimed softly, “will you be my Valentine?” My face flushed bright red and I nodded shyly. Himchan smiled a heartwarming smile and softly kissed my forehead. “Happy Valentine’s Day Zelo.”

 

---

Thank you for reading (: Comments are much appreciated ~