fin.

Unexpected
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Hey, Jyongri?"

"Hmm?"

Jyongri faced her friend, Jake, as he handed her an opened envelope.

"What's this?"

She took it, confused.

"No hard feelings, but I don't actually like you like that." Jake informed her with an indifferent look although he patted her on the shoulder out of comfort.

"What? I, what?"

"Yeah, sorry, but I'm sure there's someone else you can like like that." 

He shot her a sweet look as if he knew something that she didn't.

"I'm so lost, Jake, but I don't like you or even have someone I like right now."

"Oh?"

"What?"

"Well, that's not what you wrote in the letter." He remarked, chuckling.

She narrowed her eyes at her friend.

"What do you mean, Jake?"

She tried to give him the letter, but he didn't take it.

"I didn't write the letter."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Really?"

"Yes."

He pushed her hand back towards her to indicate that he wasn't going to take the letter back.

"Because I see it differently."

Jyongri rolled her eyes, annoyed.

"Yes. Get your eyes checked."

"Okay, Jyongri, don't get hostile." Jake dismissed with a laugh.

"But I saw what I saw, but I'll stay out of it."

Jake backed off with his hands in the air.

"That's all on you, but anyway, I gotta go."

Before Jyongri could probe further, Jake rushed off with a giggle.

"That guy, I swear."

She made a face, glaring after her friend's retreating figure before casting her eyes down at the letter in hand. She realized it wasn't a random letter, but one from her sister, Youngseo, to her crush, Sunghoon. Jyongri brows' furrowed, wondering how it ended up with Jake and not Sunghoon though? Jyongri tried to remember the events of that day, but a voice called out to her as she came face to face with her sister's crush now.

"So, you like Jake?" Sunghoon asked, appearing from out of nowhere as she eyed him weirdly.

"Um, no, but what does that have to do with you though?"

"Nothing, but I thought I'll just let you know that he doesn't like you like that."

"Yeah, I already know that, but like did you eavesdrop on our conversation just now or something?"

"No." Sunghoon denied and Jyongri opened to probe further, but shut it instead.

She really didn't want to have this type of conversation with him or any kind of conversation.

"Whatever."

However, Jyongri became focused on the fact that she's been talking to Sunghoon more often than she would have liked since he was her sister's crush and all. She didn't want to come between them even though Youngseo should've been the one to do all this and find herself in this type of situation instead. Still, Jyongri knew she shouldn't have meddled in her sister's love life by agreeing to deliver the letters and interacting with the male to discover his interests and hobbies at Youngseo's behest in the first place. Jyongri ended up learning a lot about the guy and him about her when he conversed back and asked her the same questions in return. She didn't expect that though at the time, and now just accepted it as a two-way street.

"Anyway, Sunghoon, I gotta go."

She made to step around him, but Sunghoon immediately blocked her path.

"Hey, Jyongri, wait."

She jerked away from the suddenness of his body being in her way as she eyed him warily.

"Hmm?"

"Will you be attending the festival this weekend?" Sunghoon asked, casually.

"Mmhmm."

"Oh, nice."

A smile graced his features.

"Anyway, me and the dance team will be performing that night."

"I know."

The words came out before she could process them.

"Oh?"

The corner of Sunghoon's lips quirk upwards as he refrained from being too excited at hearing that.

"You do?"

Jyongri found him cute, but dismissed that thought.

"Mmhmm."

Jyongri only knew that because Youngseo wouldn't stop talking about their school's dance team performing for their school's festival this weekend. Sunghoon smiled upon hearing her answer.

"So, will you be there to cheer me on then?"

Jyongri's brows furrowed, but Sunghoon seemed hopeful. However, her response wasn't what he expected.

"I'm not sure, to be honest."

"Why not?"

"I'm helping to run our International Student Outreach Club's booth that night."

She shrugged, indifferently.

"So, I don't know if I'll be able to watch you, the dance team or the other school's acts, and whatever artists our school invited to perform for the festival that night."

"Oh. I see." 

Came Sunghoon's dejected response, but he masked his disappointment with a cool look.

"Anyway, Jyongri, I can come and still visit you at the booth, yeah?"

"Yeah, I believe so."

She nodded.

"Depends on how busy it gets as there was a long line last year and me and the other club members had to prepare a lot of items, too." Jyongri explained about what had occured last year.

"So, I and a few others were unable to enjoy the stage events because of it."

Jyongri shot him a smile.

"Still, you can stop by to say hi, but I don't know if I'll have time to actually converse."

Sunghoon just nodded, not saying anything, but something within Jyongri felt bad and so tried to ease his worries.

"Um, still, I'll try to cheer you on. What time will y'all be performing?"

A moment later, a brightness graced his features as he smiled.

"Around seven-thirty. I'll try to look out for you."

"Yeah, unlikely as it'll be super crowded, but I'll cheer you on, Sunghoon."

"Good."

The two stared at one another with him smiling and her with a polite look before she motioned with her head to the side.

"Um, anyway, I'm gonna get going, Sunghoon. See you this Saturday."

"See you this Saturday, too, Jyongri."

Jyongri quickly her heels, but recalled the letter she still had in her hand and faced Sunghoon again.

"By the way, this is for you. Read it when you get home. Bye."

Jyongri sped off, not sparing a glance at a still smiling Sunghoon, watching her figure get smaller and smaller before his eyes shifted to the love letter in hand.

"I like you, too, Jyongri." Sunghoon confessed once the two were able to meet after his performance with the school's dance team.

Unfortunately, Jyongri was unable to make it due to the busyness of the booth despite many of the club members helping out, and she was not gonna stand around in the crowded crowd to be unable to actually see anything either. She cast him with a confused look.

"What?"

Sunghoon repeated his confession with an awkward laugh following afterwards as he questioned her.

"Don't you like me, too?"

"Well, yeah, I, I like you, but not like that."

That was a lie. She did indeed like Sunghoon like that, but Jyongri couldn't like the same guy as her sister. Now Sunghoon became confused.

"But the letter you gave me, you wrote that you like me."

"I, what? I'm pretty sure you got it wrong though, Sunghoon."

"I didn't, Jyongri."

"Yeah, Sunghoon, you did. I'm not the one that likes you, but someone else."

However, Jyongri didn't want to have this type of conversation with him as she slowly backed away to avoid any further interactions with Sunghoon.

"Wait, Jyongri."

Sunghoon reached an arm out to prevent Jyongri from leaving, but she maneuvered out of the way. However, somehow in the process Jyongri stumbled over her own feet and tried to brace herself for the fall when Sunghoon's hands instinctively came out to steady her, but the two went crashing towards the concrete floor.

Please log in to read the full chapter