Overture of Fate

Rhythm of Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1: Overture of Fate

 

 

 

“Alright, positions everyone!”

The studio is filled with groans, the sound of sneakers squeaking against the hardwood floor as water bottles are dropped to the ground.

“Five more minutes, please, I’m begging you,” Ahreum groans, letting her entire body weight lay against Jihye, while the younger giggles.

Ahri, the leader of the self-made, five-member trainee group called Aurora, rolled her eyes and grabbed onto Ahreum’s limp arm, “You said that five minutes ago!”

Jihye smiles as she gets up and grabs Ahreum’s other arm as she and her leader pull the girl up to her feet, a small pout on her lips. 

Jihye hurriedly runs to her spot in the center and wiggles her arms and legs, preparing to learn the next bit of choreography for this month’s evaluation. There’s rumors that this month is the month - the month that everyone in the entirety of JYP yearns for - where one group will be given the chance to prove their worthiness at a shot for debut. This is Aurora’s first time at the monthly evaluations, and from her short 8 months of training, Jihye’s anxiety is through the roof.

But, as soon as the music plays and the first beat hits, she can’t help but feel the exhilaration run through her bones as her muscle memory leads her through some of the fiercest (and honestly, coolest) choreography she’s had the honor of learning. Suddenly, the anxiety is taken over by this immense desire to be on stage, to perform with her entire being to the point that aching pains in her joints and muscles are nothing but a mere distant memory.

After a good two hours of non-stop practicing, the other girls decided to take a break and grab an energy drink from the vending machine downstairs. Jihye loops her arm around Hana’s and they skip down the hall to the elevator, pressing the “down” button over and over because she swears this makes it go faster.

 

The door of the dance studio to the right opens just then, and a ruckus of laughter and teasing can be heard from the room.

“Oh!” Minho, the main dancer from Stray Kids, steps out and waves at the group of trainees before him. He gives a playful smile at Jihye before meeting eyes with the other members, “Look who it is, the new babies of the company!”

Everyone immediately hits a perfect 90 degree bow, loudly chanting, “Hello sunbaenim!”

As soon as Jihye straightens up, she sees Minho about to burst into laughter in her face. She closes her eyes as she begs for him not to say anything. The girls look at the interaction strangely, before Hana nudges Jihye, “Hey, what’s up with you?”

“Yeah, what’s up with you?” Minho asks mockingly, crossing his arms in the frame of the door.

Jihye is cornered as all eyes are on her. She freezes. Well, what am I supposed to say?! 

Before she’s forced to reply, a shout comes from behind Minho, “Hey! Why are you still standing there?”

Hyunjin jumps out from behind Minho, an arm slung around the older’s neck, as he peers to see who Minho was talking to, “Oh, hey! It’s the newbies!”

Another 90 degree bow and synchronized greeting takes place, and this time, Minho cackles his usual evil laugh. Hyunjin stares at him with confused eyebrows, “What’s going on with you?”

Minho looks at Jihye one more time before cackling some more and dragging Hyunjin’s arm, “Come with me, let’s go downstairs too.”

The elevator dings and all five girls (plus Minho and Hyunjin) climb into the elevator. Minho still has an evil smirk playing on his lips and Hyunjin shrugs as he asks, “How is preparing for the monthly evaluation going?”

Ahri answers, in prime leader-fashion, “It’s going well. Please cheer us on while we keep practicing!”

Hyunjin laughs, “I’m sure you guys will do great.”

In an attempt to ignore Minho’s eyes boring into her soul, Jihye asks, “How are your comeback preparations coming along?”

Hyunjin waves a hand, “You know, so-so. This guy is supposed to be teaching us the rest of the choreography but he keeps lazing around, and now I guess, is taking us on an adventure.”

Minho stands dangerously close to Jihye, “Hey, Hyunjin, notice anything?”

“What? That she’s almost as tall as you?”

“HEY, no she isn’t!”

“Then what?”

“Don’t we,” Minho giggles, “Look alike?”

Jihye covers her face, mortified, “Oh my God, please stop.”

Minho pulls her hands down and can’t stop laughing, “See? Do you see it?”

Hyunjin’s eyes light up and he snaps, “Oh shoot! No way! Are you…”

The elevator dings and Jihye runs off first while the rest of the group is left there, dumbfounded, “Sorry, gotta go to the bathroom!”

After non-stop pestering, Jihye finally admits with an exacerbated sigh and hands up in the air in defeat, “Fine, fine! I’ll tell you the truth!”

Minah covers as if she’s about to hear the juiciest dating rumor in the world, while Hana clings onto Ahri and Ahreum tightly as though the world is gonna crumble.

Jihye announces, head hung low, “Minho… he’s my older brother.”

The biggest gasp comes from Hana, and she nearly chokes from the amount of air she took in. Ahri exhales in relief and slaps Jihye’s arm, “You scared me!”

“You’re telling me,” Minah pushes the others to the side, “That all this time, you’re related to THE Lee Minho? And you didn’t even tell us?”

Jihye pouts, “I didn’t want people to think I only got in because of him. I wanted to prove myself too.”

Ahreum softens, “Is that why he hasn’t told anyone either?”

“I begged him not to, but he’s too evil to listen,” Jihye grumbles. 

“Well hey, maybe he hasn’t told anyone!” Hana weakly defends.

The group rolls their eyes and Hana gapes at them, “Hey! At least I’m trying to help her feel better!”

Ahri laughs and ruffles Jihye’s h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter