ONE

Makeup

“Please Momoring I’ll buy you lunch”

“As tempting as that sounds, I can't Mitang. I have to finish my project, well more like I have to start it.” Momo gave her an apologetic smile.

Mina knew free food would convince her friend but alas she hadn’t put into consideration Momo’s procrastination to her own project.

She just needed a person willing enough to sit down for a few hours as Mina works her magic with make up and turns them into something else.

“Have you asked the rest of the girls?” Momo asked her and Mina knew she meant well but she couldn’t help the frustrated sigh.

“Still can’t find someone that wants to be covered in makeup and look stupid?” Jeongyeon couldn’t help to add to Mina's frustration.

So she decided to facepalm on the table instead of answering the new addition to the table.

“You still need someone to practice your makeup styles on?” A new voice asked, making her lift up her head to notice her best friend as she also joined the table with her lunch.

“Are you volunteering?” Mina asked with new hope in her voice.

Jihyo shook her face, Sending Mina's new hope down the drain.

“But I might have someone willing to, as Jeong phrased it, be covered in makeup and look stupid .”

And that’s how Mina found her way to the Music department of their campus. Willing to be uncomfortable talking to someone new just because Jihyo assured her this person would totally agree.

As she walks into the music department it dawned on Mina that she didn’t get a description from Jihyo as to how this person looks. All she got was that her name was Dahyun and that she would find her in the piano room.

-

Dahyun was mindlessly pressing keys on the piano, passing the time as her two friends continued working on their assignments when she heard her phone ringing.

Noticing that it was Jihyo, she quickly answered.

“Hey Hyo, what’s up?”

“Hyun! My favorite pianist, I need to cash on a favor”

Dahyun couldn’t help feeling a bit worried by Jihyo’s rushed tone,

“Sure what do you need?”

“She should be walking in soon to explain.”

Dahyun was confused by her friend's words and turned towards the sound of the door opening.

“Umm hello, I’m looking for Dahyun.” Mina's words startled all three girls in the room.

Mina was flustered as three pairs of eyes stared up at her, the attention making her want to back out of the room and run away until two of the girls pointed towards the remaining girl sitting at the piano.

“Hi, I’m Mina.” She introduced herself with a shy smile.

Dahyun was trying to understand what was happening, was it a dream or did she die and go to heaven? Why else would goddess Myoi Mina be this close, smiling like that and calling her name?

“Dahyun? Hello Dahyun!”

“I yes that’s me. Hi hello, how do you do?”

Dahyun was short-circuiting to say the least.

“I know we don’t know each other but Jihyo sent me your way and said you could possibly help?”

 

“Oh uh yes sure of course.”

Mina couldn’t help the soft laugh at the girl's response.

“I haven’t even told you what?”

Dahyun could agree to murder if Mina asked as long as she could hear glorious laughter again.

The snickers from her friends whom she had forgotten were in the room brought her back from her thoughts.

“Right! How can I be of possible help?”

She was thankful that Mina decided to ignore her blush because there was no way she didn’t notice the redness in her otherwise pale face.

“You see I have to practice different special effects makeup styles so I need a face to do the makeup on and take pictures of the finished product,” Mina said with hopeful eyes.

Dahyun wasn’t sure that her heart could handle being closer to Mina for longer. She was suffering as it was with just this interaction and the fact that she now knew her.

But Mina looked so hopeful about this and she couldn’t bear the thought of crashing that hope and disappointing the older girl.

“Uh, sure when do you want to start?”

“You’ll do it! Really! Thank you so so much!” Mina was so relieved by Dahyun's answer that she couldn’t help the small jumps of excitement.

If Dahyun had any doubts before, Minas' relieved smile and little jumps dissolved them and made her feel giddy that she was the cause of Minas's current happiness.

“Are you free today by any chance?”

That caught Dahyun off guard even though it had been the answer to her own question.
She didn’t think this would be so soon she hoped for more time to prepare her heart.

“I-I ah yes I am.”

“Great, I have one class-“ Mina looking at the time in her watch “ that I should get to now but can you meet me by the water fountain in the courtyard at 2?”

“Okay”

“Thank you! I gotta run but I’ll see you later!” And with that, Mina was gone leaving Dahyun to process what had just happened as she was sure she had stopped functioning the minute she laid eyes on Mina.

“I think we lost her,” Tzuyu said as she looked up from her seat at her pale friend who seemed to be even more pale now she didn’t think that was possible.

“Bro, are you good?”

“I don’t know, was that really Mina?”

“The one and only.”

“And it looks like you scored a date with her.” Chaeyoung smiled all goofy while Tzuyu gave Dahyun a thumbs up.
-

Dahyun made her way to the school's fountain more nervous than ever just knowing she would be spending time with the beautiful girl whom she maybe had a bit of an obvious crush on.

All the hyping and pep talks she did earlier with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung did not prepare her for how pretty Mina looked with the sun shining behind her making her look like an angel on earth and then she smiled and if Dahyun had only a crush before she was sure she was fully in love now.

“Dahyun! Over here!”

At the call of her name, she composed herself as she took the last few steps to be in front of Mina.

“Hi Mina”

“Thank you so much for agreeing to this, you are my lifesaver.”

“No problem, glad to be of help.”

Dahyun followed as Mina guided them inside a building to one of the empty rooms where she guessed she had all her tools and makeup.

“Alright so I have one of my old shirts that you can change into so I don’t ruin your clothes I’ll step out for a minute while you change and I’ll knock before coming in”

“Okay”

Dahyun was down to only a one-word response and wasn’t sure how she would make it through the rest of her time with Mina.

Once Mina got back to Dahyun and prepared her material, she guided Dahyun to sit in one of the chairs facing the mirror.

“All right I will start with some base.,” Mina was explaining what the process was going to be and what products she was gonna use but Dahyun’s brain was out the window once she felt Mina’s fingers grace her cheeks. Suddenly she was only able to hum as a response.

The room was filled with silence after that, Mina was not much for small talk with new people and Dahyun was too focused on her panic to start a conversation until Mina eventually decided to talk.

“So you are a music major?” Mina's soft voice broke the silence stirring the younger girl from her internal meltdown.

“I yes, I am.”

“How do you know Jihyo?”

“We are cousins actually.” Dahyun mentioned

“ ah so you are the famous prodigy cousin and favorite person Jihyo always talks about.”

“Oh no she tends to exaggerate.”

“ I don't know about that but she always mentions how amazing her younger cousin is ever since we met at the start of uni. Jihyo has always held you up to a really high standard gotta say it always made me curious.”

“We have been pretty close since we were little. She is honestly like my big sister. If it wasn't for her I would not have gotten into music honestly.”

“I would love to hear you play sometime if you don't mind”

“ Oh yeah definitely whenever you want just lower your expectations from what Jhyo has told you don't want to let you down, but what about you what made you?”

“I'm sure you are as amazing as Jihyo says, you should be no better. She never hypes up anyone or anything if it is not worthy of her. I'm actually an arts major. I dance ballet actually but I just have this theater class and the teacher has us do this project.”

“I guess that is true. Jihyo has pretty high standards except with Jeongyeon. I still have no clue how they ended up together. what if we make a deal?”

“A deal? What kind of deal?”

“I'll play for you, if you dance for me?”

“Hmm okay Kim Dahyun, you got yourself a deal.”

They shook on it to seal their deal and continued with a bit more of small talk as Mina continued to add products on Dahyun’s face. When Mina was done Dahyun jumped a little at the face currently staring back at her in the mirror.

Mina definitely had skills, she definitely looked like a creepy doll.

“Okay, now you just need to put on this wig and costume and then we can take some pictures.“
Mina handed her the costume.

Dahyun was sure this counted for more than the favor she owed Jihyo, next time she saw her because she was gonna get an earful she was so sure she did this on purpose as well. The older girl knew of her tiny crush on Mina and Jihyo would never turn down an opportunity to make Dahyun look like a full.

Once Dahyun was done changing she went back to where Mina was waiting for her.

Mina knew she was a pretty skilled artist but she could help the laugh when she saw Dahyun fully in costume and Mina may have done the makeup but she was sure Dahyun definitely brought the character to life.

Dahyun felt more relaxed now with Mina. It was the only reason she was able to make silly faces at her when the older girl turned towards her, making her laugh out loud making Dahyun proud for being able to get her to laugh like that.

“How does it look? Think I can get the role of Annabelle if I were to audition?”

“I would give you the part for sure.”

They continued to laugh as Mina took the picture she needed with a few extras, one of Dahyun being silly with the costume. Once they were finished they proceeded to remove the makeup so they could continue on with their day.

“Thank you so much Dahyun, you are really a life saver for doing this especially on such short notice.”

 

“Don't even worry about it, I'm glad I was able to help and it was fun. If you need any more help do hesitate . I'm free all week.”

Now Dahyun was definitely not looking forward to being dressed and doused with a full face of makeup but to spend more time with Mina she could become any one she asked. Tzuyu could call her whipped and she would not care.

“Really , would you mind? I just need two more costumes but I would hate to take more of your time.”

Mina can't deny that Dahyun would be a pretty huge help; she doesn't have to beg her friends again for their help. But she could help but hesitate in making Dahyun do this even after all they just met.

“It's okay Mina, I'm offering after all and if you feel bad taking the help what if you pay me back with dinner after you finish your project?.”

Dahyun wasn't sure where the surge of boldness came from. All she knew was that she wanted to help Mina out and also continue to hang out with her so she decided to take her shot.

Mina was taken aback by the forwardness of Dahyun but she figured that's the least she could do for helping her.

“Okay you're on. Let's meet tomorrow here at the same time?”

Dahyun’s smile got impossibly bigger at Mina’s acceptance.

“Okay see you then.”

~~~

 

Then next day Dahyun arrived a few minutes early to the room they had been working on the previous day finding Mina already preparing the products she was gonna use Dahyun could help but be a little scared and curious as there was a lot of blue paint she wonder what Mina had in mind for today's makeup maybe a smurf? Avatar?

Nothing could have prepared Dahyun for the sight in the mirror.

“Really the genie?’

If Mina had not been able to hold her laugh yesterday she was not even gonna try today as she gave Dahyun the rest of the costume so she could go and change into.

“ Well here I am, what are your other 2 wishes?”

Mina shook her head in disbelief at Dahyun’s entrance and pickup line.

“Not my best work I guess.”

They continued taking pictures with Dahyun once again making poses fitting with her character or at least what she thought was fitting to it.

“How about this one ‘ I may not be Aladin but I can show you the world” Dahyun finished her line with a smirk and a raise of her eyebrows sending Mina into another fit of giggles.

Mina had to admit she had never laughed this much before she was sure she had abs from laughing, she was really enjoying this time she gets to spend with the young girl.

Dahyun makes all her worries and stress be forgotten as if they are in their own little world.

~~

It was their last day to work together and Mina had been enjoying the past few days with Dahyun that she almost wished she had more characters to do she said almost because she was just glad the girl had been willing to help her definitely taking one less worry form Mina from not having to find another volunteer for the makeup.

Mina had found herself thinking more and more about the girl through the day anticipating her meeting with her later in the afternoon.It was the only thing getting her through her bad day.

Dahyun was excited yet a bit disappointed this would be hers and Minas last day to hang out and have fun like they did but then that also meant she could have dinner with the older girl since she would be done with her project. Now was Dahyun gonna be bold enough to ask for dinner to be a date.

Mina was preparing the material needed for today's characters. Mina would be lying if she said she was not enjoying dressing Dahyun up in these silly characters after seeing her play them off in her own silly way just to make her laugh. Mina was looking forward to seeing how Dahyunn would play this one.

“Hey Dahyun, are you ready for today?”

“Hey Mina, of course I see a lot of green, don't tell me Shrek?”

“Nope,”

“Am i gonna be an alien?”

“No.”

“Yoda?’

“Not even close.”
Dahyun sat down defeated at not guessing what she would be today.

“How was your day Mina?”

“It was not the best, my alarm didn't ring this morning which made me late to my class where I was supposed to have a test- '' it was as if Dahyun had sensed Mina’s mood and her need to vent about her day.

“but my professor is really strict he won't let you come in after a certain time so i was not able to take it had to wait until it was done to be able to talk to him and set a time for me to take it, but on my rush i bumped into another student which resulted on them spilling their coffee all over me.”
Mina went on about her bad day and was just appreciative of Dahyun that just listened to giving her a few reactions here and there to show she was earnestly listening.

Mina finished her rant as well as the makeup doing a once over before making eye contact with Dahyun giving her a reassuring smile.

“Am i the hulk?!”

More angelic giggles at least to Dahyun’s ears.

They went on with their same actions as the past days of photos,poses, jokes and laughter and Mina definitely felt better about her day now that she was laughing with Dahyun.

“Say Mina, are you free tonight?”

“Oh did you want me to grab that dinner I owe you?’

“No actually, I mean yes dinner but not the one you owe, I wanted to actually ask you out”

Dahyun felt like this was her time, either be able to go on a date with Mina or be rejected, she could not really say she would be embarrassed about being rejected considering all the costumes she had been parading the whole week.

Mina froze, not sure why but she was trying to process the words Dahyun just said. Is Dahyun asking her on a date? Does she want to go on a date with her? She definitely has a great time with the younger she is funny, smart, a great listener and of course she is a beautiful girl. Anyone would be lucky to be going out on a date with her, Mina was just settling with being friends but now she wonders. But what if she's not asking her out on a date why does she feel disappointed about it not being a date.

“Going out as in? a date?”

Dahyun’s boldness had dissipated while waiting for Mina’s response and nerves had kicked in, clearly showing in her face she felt the redness taking over her whole face but she had to pull through.

“Yes if that's okay with you but if not we can go just as friends, we don't even have to go if you don't want to.”

Dahyun looked like she was about to run away while Mina was continuing to process everything she was saying. That means Dahyun was interested in her romantically right. I mean you don't ask someone out on a date if you are not interested in them romantically.

“Yes, I would like that.”

Minas' mouth seemed to be faster than her brain today because the answer came before her realization that she in fact would really like to go on a date with Dahyun.

“Your hand looks heavy. Can I hold it for you?”

And just like that Dahyun switched from a nerve wrecked to a goofball making a show of her fake hulk muscles.

And just like that Mina was regretting agreeing on the date with the incredible hulk.

And just like that is how Park Jihyo walked in on the incredible hulk and Myoui Mina holding hands.